• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,239 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2023 at 3:38 PM, thewritestuff said:

Thanks for sharing. I will have to track down those stories to read online.

They are on the forums.

GOLD READING ROOM---Page 916   (thumbsu  Issue # 2.  In fact I have uploaded the complete run.

• SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 1  Page 897RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 2  Page 916RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 3  Page 976RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 4  Page 981RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 5  Page 1002RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 6  Page 1019RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 7  Page 1068RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 8  Page 1103RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 9  Page 1710RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 10  Page 2504RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 11  Page 2507RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 12  Page 2512RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 13  Page 3583RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 14  Page 3587RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 15  Page 3590RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 16  Page 3594RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 17  Page 3597RUN COMPLETE
  • SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES 18  Page 3602RUN COMPLETE

Edited by Paul (GG) © ® ™⚽️💙

On 12/2/2023 at 7:38 AM, thewritestuff said:

Thanks for sharing. I will have to track down those stories to read online.

Or better yet, pick up a Cochran reprint so you can feel paper and at least get the same vibe of the original. Better yet, grab one of those annuals so you can read several issues at once. Shock is an under appreciated title.

On 12/2/2023 at 3:50 PM, Robot Man said:

Or better yet, pick up a Cochran reprint so you can feel paper and at least get the same vibe of the original. Better yet, grab one of those annuals so you can read several issues at once. Shock is an under appreciated title.

I've done the lot myself, but you can't beat an original EC in hand.... :cloud9:

On 12/3/2023 at 8:40 AM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

Just in, a book I've wanted for years, although I passed on a beautiful restored copy earlier this year, which I bitterly regret.

However I got my hands on this decent-ish reader now. A shameless EC swipe of a book by a fly-by-night publisher it may be...but I love the cover.

bbbbbt.jpg

rtg.jpg

DSCN5644.JPG

DSCN5646.JPG

DSCN5648.JPG

hftt.JPG

Love this book! :applause:You're on a roll!

I need your advice everyone. I THINK I might have found a pre-code horror comic, but I need confirmation as I'm not too familiar with it.

GCD :: Cover :: Adventures into Weird Worlds #11 (comics.org)

8Cuod8F.jpg

It is this one. I see it in a local auction near me. Should I get it no matter what? It's cheap right now. If so, max price?

eBay has two listings for a few hundred, low grade.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:13 PM, LadyDeath said:

Came out in 1952, it is pre-code. Two years before the CCA was formed.

Thank you very much! I'm gonna bid on it then. Looking through active/sold listings on eBay and getting a rough idea for what to make my bid.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:18 PM, stormflora said:

Thank you very much! I'm gonna bid on it then. Looking through active/sold listings on eBay and getting a rough idea for what to make my bid.

Good luck! It's hard to advise you re the value without knowing the grade or condition of the book you're bidding on. From memory, that issue often has a lot of fading/yellowing to the cover, something else to watch out for... I'd want the eye appeal to be there (strong colors, as with the stock image you posted) regardless of the technical grade. 

Also, many of those non-ebay third-party auction services sell on an "as is/you have option to inspect it in person/no returns" basis, so no take-backs for e.g. undisclosed restoration, missing a page, etc. Good to check that kind of stuff too before bidding.

On 12/3/2023 at 10:27 PM, Point Five said:

Good luck! It's hard to advise you re the value without knowing the grade or condition of the book you're bidding on. From memory, that issue often has a lot of fading/yellowing to the cover, something else to watch out for... I'd want the eye appeal to be there (strong colors, as with the stock image you posted) regardless of the technical grade. 

Also, many of those non-ebay third-party auction services sell on an "as is/you have option to inspect it in person/no returns" basis, so no take-backs for e.g. undisclosed restoration, missing a page, etc. Good to check that kind of stuff too before bidding.

From visual inspection, I'd give it a 3.0 Good. It's an online local auction, but I can tell that the auctioneer knows nothing about comics. They just do estate auctions.

I'll cross my finger and hope that it's complete. It comes in a small lot with a few other non-superhero comics from that era, though not horror.

On 12/3/2023 at 6:07 PM, stormflora said:

I need your advice everyone. I THINK I might have found a pre-code horror comic, but I need confirmation as I'm not too familiar with it.

GCD :: Cover :: Adventures into Weird Worlds #11 (comics.org)

8Cuod8F.jpg

It is this one. I see it in a local auction near me. Should I get it no matter what? It's cheap right now. If so, max price?

eBay has two listings for a few hundred, low grade.

Yes, that definitely qualifies as a PCH comic.  As you know, value depends on condition as well as desirability.  Are you buying it for an investment to flip later on, or as a keeper?  Look at eBay closed sales of this title in similar condition  to assess it's value.

On 12/3/2023 at 11:25 PM, fifties said:

Yes, that definitely qualifies as a PCH comic.  As you know, value depends on condition as well as desirability.  Are you buying it for an investment to flip later on, or as a keeper?  Look at eBay closed sales of this title in similar condition  to assess it's value.

I did in fact take a look at the active/sold listings, and have a rough idea for what its worth is.

I think I'll hold onto it for a little now to read it, manually clean and press it, and then consider slabbing it for resale. A bit too early to say now.

It would be my first PCH, so I'd like to bask in the afterglow for a little first :P

On 12/3/2023 at 8:52 PM, stormflora said:

I did in fact take a look at the active/sold listings, and have a rough idea for what its worth is.

I think I'll hold onto it for a little now to read it, manually clean and press it, and then consider slabbing it for resale. A bit too early to say now.

It would be my first PCH, so I'd like to bask in the afterglow for a little first :P

I have most of that run, and bought that issue 50 years ago at a used bookstore for 4 bucks.  The stories and artwork are reasonably good, and the Sci Fi story is excellent horror.