• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

I wish I could show the whole story here. I'm hesitant to open the book completely due to a staple that is not attached 100%. It's a shame that it was only reprinted in B&W because the coloring of the story is great..

I think it was reprinted in color in Mr. Monster #3. I enthusiastically recommend the whole series to any pre-code fan, especially the Super-Duper Specials, which reprinted classic pre-code crime, horror & sci-fi in color.

Speaking of "Weird" titles, (so many of the great pre-codes titles have "weird" in it) I was fortunate enough to snatch up a Weird Horrors # 2 recently. This completes my run of that St. John title. I'm anxiously waiting for it to get here. insane.gif

So, I may just do an index to Weird Horrors in the next issue of HORROR COMICS REVIEW , especially since I have had a request to do an index of something from St. John. How fortuitous! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know absolutely nothing about the St. John titles..... I've never seen an interior story by them. The covers are cool, though!

I really need to get that TTTTT set! smile.gif

If memory serves me correctly, TTTTT never got around to covering St. John . frustrated.gif

So, hopefully the Weird Horrors index will be a boon to collectors, in the same manner as the Witches Tales index in HCR 3 and 4. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's the cover to Weird Mysteries #6, which is what I consider to be one of, if not _the_, most underrated pre-code horror covers. This cover features not only a severed and shrunken head, but a HUGE severed head with dangling arteries and veins hanging from the neck! Maybe the proximity to WM #5 has rendered this one unappreciated, but on its own merits, it's absolutely one of the most gruesome pre-code horror covers. No Wolverton story in this issue, and the stories aren't particularly gruesome.

For this #6, I paid less than half of the price of my recent #5, and it's in slightly better condition.

This particular copy is graded 3.5 raw, but man alive, if I could regularly find 3.5s that look this good, I'd be thrilled. There's a thin manufacturering crease on the cover, but if that's what keeps this from being a 4.0 or 4.5, I'll take that on any book.

622756-IMGP1920.JPG

622756-IMGP1920.JPG.e1a6656e9d3d1e16a794949fba7ae9aa.JPG

Edited by paull