• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STRANGE TALES #110 Club!
9 9

1,322 posts in this topic

Unbelievable prices now on this one.

$3,625 for a low PQ 7.0 is great! I'm getting reeeeeal close to selling my 6.0 W and 4.5 OW. May wait until the movie teaser shows up at SDCC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221482726934

Not every collector is a "'PQ' snob". And some outright just don't care about it, understanding the arbitrariness of it (barring brittle, of course). :sumo:

-J.

low pq tends to fall short of books with superior pq when it's time to sell. So yes pq matters.

This does not occur on any verifiable or consistent basis. :baiting:

-J.

Um, yes it does. Why don't you run a regression analysis on price and PQ for books in the same grade, during the same timeframe, and you'll see the correllation. After years of looking at GPA, LINK, E-bay, etc. prices, it becomes obvious that PQ does have an impact on sales prices.

$3,625 for a low PQ 7.0 is great! I'm getting reeeeeal close to selling my 6.0 W and 4.5 OW. May wait until the movie teaser shows up at SDCC

Not every collector is a "'PQ' snob". And some outright just don't care about it, understanding the arbitrariness of it (barring brittle, of course). :sumo:

-J.

low pq tends to fall short of books with superior pq when it's time to sell. So yes pq matters.

-J.

Um, yes it does. Why don't you run a regression analysis on price and PQ for books in the same grade, during the same timeframe, and you'll see the correllation. After years of looking at GPA, LINK, E-bay, etc. prices, it becomes obvious that PQ does have an impact on sales prices.

You are speaking in broad strokes. And this is simply not true. You cannot do anything more than provide anecdotal evidence to justify your opinion, and I can just as easily counter with anecdotal evidence to support the contrary position. If you don't mind paying more for that part of a label that is known for being notoriously arbitrary, more power to you. But as I said there are enough shoppers out there who it doesn't matter to, that negate whatever perceived price difference you think there may be.

-J.

-J.

-J.

You are speaking in broad strokes. And this is simply not true. You cannot do anything more than provide anecdotal evidence to justify your opinion, and I can just as easily counter with anecdotal evidence to support the contrary position. If you don't mind paying more for that part of a label that is known for being notoriously arbitrary, more power to you. But as I said there are enough shoppers out there who it doesn't matter to, that negate whatever perceived price difference you think there may be.

-J.

Whatever. The evidence is there. PQ does effect price and you're only fooling yourself if you think otherwise. If you want to argue about CGC's consistency on PQ designations, that's a completely separate argument.

Are you really going to sit there and tell us that the same ST #110 CGC 7.0 book with WHITE pages would sell for the same price as this OW copy?

-J.

-J.

-J.

Whatever. The evidence is there. PQ does effect price and you're only fooling yourself if you think otherwise. If you want to argue about CGC's consistency on PQ designations, that's a completely separate argument.

Are you really going to sit there and tell us that the same ST #110 CGC 7.0 book with WHITE pages would sell for the same price as this OW copy?

On any given day, absolutely. And you cannot state otherwise. That's the problem with anecdotal evidence....it cannot be tested using the scientific method. I understand that "PQ" enthusiasts love to look for that anecdotal evidence and say "A-ha-, see!". And a day or week or two later a CR/OW book sells for the same price or more even, and the room falls silent. "PQ" obviously matters to you and loads others, but it does not matter enough to enough others for it to truly and/or significantly affect price in the grand scheme of things. If a person makes a buying decision based only on "PQ", they are literally just buying the label, not the book. We are always told to do the exact opposite of that.

-J.

People are neglecting to mention that this 7.0 actually presents very, very nicely for a 7.0 and the winning bidder likely paid an especially strong price for it because of the book's upgrade potential. I only wonder if the book would've sold for more if the seller were based in the US and not Singapore.

People are neglecting to mention that this 7.0 actually presents very, very nicely for a 7.0 and the winning bidder likely paid an especially strong price for it because of the book's upgrade potential. I only wonder if the book would've sold for more if the seller were based in the US and not Singapore.

This book looks to be hot in all grades, and there never seems to be an over abundance of them available on eBay at any given time, particularly in 7.5+ grades.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

On any given day, absolutely. And you cannot state otherwise. That's the problem with anecdotal evidence....it cannot be tested using the scientific method. I understand that "PQ" enthusiasts love to look for that anecdotal evidence and say "A-ha-, see!". And a day or week or two later a CR/OW book sells for the same price or more even, and the room falls silent. "PQ" obviously matters to you and loads others, but it does not matter enough to enough others for it to truly and/or significantly affect price in the grand scheme of things. If a person makes a buying decision based only on "PQ", they are literally just buying the label, not the book. We are always told to do the exact opposite of that.

-J.

Actually, I have stated otherwise...anecdotal or not...it's a reality. I'm not a "PQ snob"...the primary reason it matters to me is because I know it matters to others...and impacts the market price should I ever decide to sell a book.

And we pay CGC good money for their opinion on the grades and PQ of those slabbed books. Although sometimes their consistency leaves something to be desired, we cannot see inside a slabbed book therefore their opinion/label is all we have to go on. I think the "buy the book not the label" really only applies to the grade designation and visual appeal of the book, not the PQ.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Actually, I have stated otherwise...anecdotal or not...it's a reality. I'm not a "PQ snob"...the primary reason it matters to me is because I know it matters to others...and impacts the market price should I ever decide to sell a book.

And we pay CGC good money for their opinion on the grades and PQ of those slabbed books. Although sometimes their consistency leaves something to be desired, we cannot see inside a slabbed book therefore their opinion/label is all we have to go on. I think the "buy the book not the label" really only applies to the grade designation and visual appeal of the book, not the PQ.

I certainly agree with that. And while I do not dispute that some people don't mind paying a "premium" for a book with a "better 'PQ'" on the label, some people also will not. Since not all people do all of the time, and it only takes one buyer for a book, it is basically impossible to say that "PQ" really affects the price at all. This reality is even further complicated by the fact that other extrinsic factors can influence the price of the book on any given day, that have nothing to do with the "PQ".

You just simply cannot ever really know. That is why the "PQ" on the label is literally the last thing I look at when making a buying decision on a book.

-J.

That is why the "PQ" on the label is literally the last thing I look at when making a buying decision on a book.

That may be fine for you, but denigrating others as PQ snobs and insinuating that they are buying the label and not the book is not only condescending, it is also inaccurate.

That is why the "PQ" on the label is literally the last thing I look at when making a buying decision on a book.

That may be fine for you, but denigrating others as PQ snobs and insinuating that they are buying the label and not the book is not only condescending, it is also inaccurate.

I would agree with you if that is actually what I had done. Context is everything. That post was specifically a response to the poster who (inaccurately) referred to "ow 'pq'" as being a "low page quality". (thumbs u

-J.

It's pointless…he refuses to see any other point other than his own…

As the poster who (accurately) posted "to each his own"… (thumbs u

It's pointless…he refuses to see any other point other than his own…

As the poster who (accurately) posted "to each his own"… (thumbs u

I see your point, I simply disagree. The people who believe in the "PQ" on a CGC label the most have often seen fit to pay more for it, and thus are usually the ones who argue most vociferously in defense of the importance of it. Those who don't put as much stock in it usually don't care enough to bother counter arguing. I only do so because it makes for an interesting debate and because I can, in fact, acknowledge the conflicting data points. And based on those contradictory data points I have (accurately) reasoned that the "PQ" on a CGC label does not matter to enough people on enough of a regular basis for a person to reasonably say that there is a quantifiable difference in price. For every anecdotal example you can link me to trying to show a difference in prices, I can link you to examples that show no difference or an insignificant difference in price. Again, it is that lack of consistency that I would submit to you proves my point. ;)

-J.

26K + already for the Northland after a couple days of bidding - guess the book really is shooting up now.

Which auction is it being sold thru?

I'm assuming he is referring to the Heritage "Feature Auction" that will be going on for the next few weeks.

-J.