• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STRANGE TALES #110 Club!
9 9

1,322 posts in this topic

I think this price seems fair. Especially with movie annoucements

I agree. This will be a cheap price a year from now.

+2. And the book is significantly rarer than hulk 1 on the census at least.

-J.

If you mean the Incredible Hulk #1 from 1962 you'd be very incorrect.

I am, and no I am not. 1048 IH 1's to 752 ST 110's. Double check your facts before you make blanket statements. Thank you.

-J.

If you really think ST 110 is harder to find in any grade then Hulk 1 then you have no idea how to use the census where in practically every grade above 5.0 there are more 110s graded. The only reason there are less 110s graded overall is because there wasn't the incentive for lower graded and restored copies like there is for a megakey like Hulk 1.

-J.

I am, and no I am not. 1048 IH 1's to 752 ST 110's. Double check your facts before you make blanket statements. Thank you.

-J.

If you really think ST 110 is harder to find in any grade then Hulk 1 then you have no idea how to use the census where in practically every grade above 5.0 there are more 110s graded. The only reason there are less 110s graded overall is because there wasn't the incentive for lower graded and restored copies like there is for a megakey like Hulk 1.

Yes I got that thank you. However if you read the substantive portion of my original post you will see that that was implicitly acknowledged. However now that ST 110 is emerging as a key, time will tell how many more start finding their way to the census and how quickly. But as of now there are about 30% more graded hulk 1's than ST 110's on the census. This is a fact, whether there are seemingly more raw ST 110's out there at the moment or not. (thumbs u

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

-J.

-J.

Yes I got that thank you. However if you read the substantive portion of my original post you will see that that was implicitly acknowledged. However now that ST 110 is emerging as a key, time will tell how many more start finding their way to the census and how quickly. But as of now there are about 30% more graded hulk 1's than ST 110's on the census. This is a fact, whether there are seemingly more raw ST 110's out there at the moment or not. (thumbs u

-J.

Ok I understand your point - however I have a hard time calling one book "scarcer" then another based on those numbers. If you take a closer look the main difference between the 2 graded numbers right now all come from the amount of restored Hulks that are on the census - it's going to take a while for ST 110 to hit the kind of values for restored copies of that book to be worth submitting on those levels.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Ok I understand your point - however I have a hard time calling one book "scarcer" then another based on those numbers. If you take a closer look the main difference between the 2 graded numbers right now all come from the amount of restored Hulks that are on the census - it's going to take a while for ST 110 to hit the kind of values for restored copies of that book to be worth submitting on those levels.

Even with the significant run up in prices ST 110's are still not exactly falling out of the trees. I believe that a lot of those raw copies we see on ebay are in fact restored copies, otherwise they would be in a slab. The next 24 months should give us a pretty good indication as to how "rare" ST 110 is compared to the other marvel big keys.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Even with the significant run up in prices ST 110's are still not exactly falling out of the trees. I believe that a lot of those raw copies we see on ebay are in fact restored copies, otherwise they would be in a slab. The next 24 months should give us a pretty good indication as to how "rare" ST 110 is compared to the other marvel big keys.

-J.

Hulk 1 and TTA 27 have historically been the rarest Marvel SA keys. The '63 Marvel keys are easier to find. That being said, ST 110 is an interesting book due to 2 factors:

- Dr. Strange is not on the cover

- Insignificant cover when compared to the covers of the other Marvel keys

It's the above reasons that may contribute to the answer as to whether this book was overlooked by collectors at the time? Another question concerns whether the Torch led series was selling relatively well compared to the other Marvel books? We might be able to get some insight as to how scarce ST 110 is relative to the 62 keys by answering these questions.

My prediction is that we will see no more bids on this (although I hope I'm proven wrong).

GPA shows a 7.5 sold at $4063 this month and a 7.0 sold at $3227 this month so $3999 for a 7.0 seems a little suspicious to me.

Now, if they make a big Dr Strange announcement at SDCC then I can see the next jump in price.

My prediction is that we will see no more bids on this (although I hope I'm proven wrong).

GPA shows a 7.5 sold at $4063 this month and a 7.0 sold at $3227 this month so $3999 for a 7.0 seems a little suspicious to me.

Now, if they make a big Dr Strange announcement at SDCC then I can see the next jump in price.

It's a nice looking 7.0. Maybe the bidder is hoping to resub for an 8.0?

You're right, when I first looked at the comic in the auction I thought it looked undergraded. That's gotta be what the bidder is thinking.

it looks as good as my 8.0

Edited by gadzukes

You're right, when I first looked at the comic in the auction I thought it looked undergraded. That's gotta be what the bidder is thinking.

Judging by the bidder's feedback amount, he looks to be a dealer.

One does get the sense that Marvel has fast tracked development of the project somewhat. hm

-J.

Wonder why we don't see many high grade 9.4 and above doctor strange 169's for sale?

I think it's a great cover.

Don't the fingers on Dr Strange's right hand look weird on the cover? Something going on with how fingers. Is that what magicians' fingers look like?

Wonder why we don't see many high grade 9.4 and above doctor strange 169's for sale?

I think it's a great cover.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that. DS 169 is quite common in high grade. In the past I've seen many 9.4s and 9.6s, and at least one 9.8 up for sale. I don't know the recent trends on it, but its just one of those issues that, at least in the past, you could pick up a NM copy just about any time you wanted.

I sold my DS 169 CGC 9.4 not too long ago. Think it's not that difficult to locate in high grade.

I was smart lucky enough to buy my DS169 9.6 last year before the run up on price. I paid $620 for a 9.6. And as a bonus it's got the old CGC label.

I remember having slight remorse and thought I over paid. ST110 was doing really well at the time but DS169 hadn't really budged so I thought I made a mistake.

I also went crazy and bought an ST115 9.4 last June for $4k. I'm still not sure about that purchase. High grade ST115s never seem to come up. I'm going to assume that I did ok though since other Doc Strange is doing so well.

Does anyone have a clue what a ST110 9.0 might go for these days? One sold on the boards here a year ago for about $10k but there's no recent GPA data and I haven't been paying attention to CC & Clink auctions.

I can see this book hitting TOS 39 or JIM 83 levels if a movie were to be made.

Me too. The creative team behind Dr Strange only really made two major super-heroes... Spiderman and Dr Strange.

That is good company to be in value-wise.