• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me your GA storage!

109 posts in this topic

Are these modular units that are screwed into a wall or are they built into a wall? They look pretty nice.

California Closets stuff is an interesting install... It's all designed to your space - see my first post in this thread. Then they fabricate the components and put them together for you. But they actually hang on the wall. Of course they have support feet at the bottom for extra contact which are completely hidden, but the framework is attached to the wall at the top as well. It's kinda of semi-built in! If you walked into the room you'd think the entire thing, cabinets, desk and other cabinets, were part of the room, but it can be taken down and moved (preferably by the company). If I were to pull these boxes you would see the wall in the back. Not sure if I am really answering your question ... but check out their facebook page or site for examples. I will say the quality is outstanding ... completely solid, completely secure and the woods have a good solid high quality look and feel.

Here is my well thought out system...

catinthebox.jpg

I gave your comics away after I read them. They were really musty old ones and I thought I'd save you the cost of having them hauled away.

:)

Here is my well thought out system...

catinthebox.jpg

I gave your comics away after I read them. They were really musty old ones and I thought I'd save you the cost of having them hauled away.

;) [font:Times New Roman]Then that photo must've been taken just before Richie packed you off to Sarasota. hm

Did Matt press out the well earned lumps and spine roll?[/font] :baiting:

Are these modular units that are screwed into a wall or are they built into a wall? They look pretty nice.

California Closets stuff is an interesting install... It's all designed to your space - see my first post in this thread. Then they fabricate the components and put them together for you. But they actually hang on the wall. Of course they have support feet at the bottom for extra contact which are completely hidden, but the framework is attached to the wall at the top as well. It's kinda of semi-built in!

What's the point in incurring the expense of custom building when "off the shelf" lateral files will also do the same job? I use two five high, 42" inch wide lateral filing cabinets made by Global for my collection. Each filing cabinet is capable of holding more than 2750 comics.

ComicRoom.jpg

HepcatComicsLazyBoy.jpg

HepcatCurioComics.jpg

Hepcatcheckingcomics.jpg

ComicsLeftSide.jpg

ComicLeftFileCab.jpg

Three caveats though:

1. Make sure that any lateral filing cabinets you might buy can handle the weight of a full load of comics without the drawers sagging downward a bit and thus binding when you try to close them. Therefore you need "heavy duty" cabinet models.

2. The external dimensions of my filing cabinet are 69" tall, 42" wide and 19" deep. Each of the five drawers measures 12" tall, 38 1/2" wide and 15 3/4" deep on the inside. Make sure each of the drawers is tall enough to store your comics and magazines! Some filing cabinets have bottom drawers that are insufficiently tall to store these.

3. Drawers with flip top doors are preferable to regular drawers because they allow display of your comics when the doors are open. Make sure that what you're being offered does not come with a fixed bottom drawer which is very often the case. I had to put in a custom order to get a flip top bottom drawer for which I ended up paying $100 extra..

Otherwise my comics are all in Mylites/Arklites backed by Thin X-Tenders/Halfbacks.

:cool:

I'm jealous every time you post these pictures. :cry:

COMICROOMSHOWCASE.jpg

California Closets stuff is an interesting install... It's all designed to your space - see my first post in this thread. Then they fabricate the components and put them together for you. But they actually hang on the wall. Of course they have support feet at the bottom for extra contact which are completely hidden, but the framework is attached to the wall at the top as well. It's kinda of semi-built in!

What's the point in incurring the expense of custom building when "off the shelf" lateral files will also do the same job? I use two five high, 42" inch wide lateral filing cabinets made by Global for my collection. Each filing cabinet is capable of holding more than 2750 comics.

Well I suppose at the end of the day it's about what you want to look at, and for that matter what others (read: my wife) are comfortable with too. When I was young I had a mish mash of filing cabinets in my old room at my parents. It worked but it was far from a pleasant scene. Your storage is very cool, and those cabinets are large enough to provide a consistent look for your room and your collection. Not sure what you paid for the cabinets but 2700 books per is a solid storage capacity for each! But again, we have different needs. I have approx 10,000 books, and the custom work I did with the desk and storage for 64 boxes cost me about $3,700. When you compare that cost to the true, let alone perceived emotional, value of my collection, it hardly seems like much of an expense.

...bought with all the other Archie stuff this guy had who wrote a book on cereal box collectables through the decades.

Cereal box collectibles? Cool! What's the title and author?

???

Not sure what you paid for the cabinets....

About $1100 for each.

...bought with all the other Archie stuff this guy had who wrote a book on cereal box collectables through the decades.

Cereal box collectibles? Cool! What's the title and author?

Probably Scott Bruce--he wrote a couple of books on cereal boxes and prizes.

COMICROOM2-2.jpg

Wow, that is some set up! Thanks for sharing that! Love those stands on each shelf. I have never seen them before. The fortress stuff at the top yes, but those stands no. Very cool collection and storage! Ever thought about combining all those safes into one big one? :)