• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

Looks like FURIOUS 7 just bumped AVENGERS (2012) from the top 3 list.

Rxi5zRn.png

It's that massive overseas result at the box office. But I heard that doesn't count, because it is only 15% to 40% of domestic dollar value.

(:

looks like FF7 went in reverse (tsk)

Looks like FURIOUS 7 just bumped AVENGERS (2012) from the top 3 list.

Rxi5zRn.png

It's that massive overseas result at the box office. But I heard that doesn't count, because it is only 15% to 40% of domestic dollar value.

(:

looks like FF7 went in reverse (tsk)

:o

Did that really happen? I just checked again, and FF7 is coming up as $1,511,636,779 worldwide.

I literally slept through parts of this film. It was a struggle to stay awake. This is a first for me. I don't blame the film entirely because I didn't sleep well the night before.

Overall, I think it was a bad film but it did have redeeming qualities here and there.

Before the film, they played three trailers. FF, B vs S, and Ant-Man. I saw one look at Afleck's face and said to myself no -way this guy could be Bruce Wayne, much less the Batman. Ant-Man may have an alright story but everything appeared incredibly CGI'd. Ironically, FF looked like it has the most potential for being good with the look and feel of the trailer. I hope I am presently surprised.

Anyway, Avengers is action. Too cool, most stories forget how important this part is to the story and it goes on non-stop. So why is this bad? Well, because it's incredibly unbelievable for one. At least DC, with the last Batman series tried to make the existence of Batman believable. Arrows fired per second by Hawkeye and hitting their mark everytime, and Cap's ability to throw a motorcycle at a target which he was riding on while landing perfectly after having tossed it, was just too much for me. For pretty much most of the movie I was seeing scene after scene of inexplicable reasons for following the next scene.

The zingers were corny for most of the first half of the movie. They got better near the end.

Holy mess! I woke up and there is an island in the sky

How'd that happen? By this time, I was fully awake to to see the finale.

Things I liked about the film:

- The Scarlet Witch was cute and I was crushin' on the accent

- I liked Quicksilver's character too and I never took to that character.

I'm surprised they killed him

Things I disliked about the film

- A panel by panel comic book translated to digital that exposed the silliness of some of the comic book series. For instance, the existence of nobodies like Cap, Hawkeye, and BW, next to Hulk, Thor, an Iron-Man on a team.

The romance between Banner and Romanov. Seriously, I never saw the chemistry between them, and then suddenly they are an item.

All it took was the finger-stroke technique.

I'll watch this again when it comes out on Netflix but this has to be a turning point in the negative direction for Marvel films.

I agree with your take. It was a dragging film. Too bad because Vision was waaay too cool for this movie. On the bright side, word on the street is Ant-Man is pretty decent (well, this is according to a dealer who was trying to sell me comics earlier) :)

I literally slept through parts of this film. It was a struggle to stay awake. This is a first for me. I don't blame the film entirely because I didn't sleep well the night before.

- A panel by panel comic book translated to digital that exposed the silliness of some of the comic book series. For instance, the existence of nobodies like Cap, Hawkeye, and BW, next to Hulk, Thor, an Iron-Man on a team.

The romance between Banner and Romanov. Seriously, I never saw the chemistry between them, and then suddenly they are an item.

I'll watch this again when it comes out on Netflix but this has to be a turning point in the negative direction for Marvel films.

Disagree here! I'm not sure you get the point or the history of Cap. (shrug)

Too bad

Disagree here! I'm not sure you get the point or the history of Cap. (shrug)

Too bad

My problem with this movie, as to why it wasn`t liked as much as the first one is the villain.

Ultron is so weak and lame compared to Loki.

Robots gone bad like Ultron are out with the public.

Look at how disappointing the new Terminator box office is.

People are sick of the old storyline how robot turns bad on creator, then goes tries to destroy the world story.

I hope this is the last we see of Ultron in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. :wishluck:

Like I said I liked Avengers 2: Age of Ultron,but it just seemed like something was missing to make it great like the first Avengers movie, Winter Soldier or GOTG.

I think Ultron was the blame that kept it from greatness.

They could have picked a better villain.

Highest opening in Japan for 2015. Now we'll see how it compares to previous Marvel releases.

- The Avengers box office final (Japan): $45,256,010

- Iron Man 3 box office final (Japan): $25,185,661

- Captain America: The Winter Soldier box office final (Japan): $6,628,830

- Guardians of the Galaxy box office final (Japan): $9,504,440

FURIOUS 7 as a team action movie did $23.3 MM at the Japanese box office. As the only team action movie right now, AoU should exceed $25 MM.

I thought AOU suffered from a lack of stakes and commitment on the part of Whedon/Marvel...who were clearly not on the same page throughout the film.

Ultron's creation was rushed beyond belief, making us not care all that much about him or his agenda. I think the movie should have started with Stark on the sidelines per the events of IM 3, trying to perfect a pilotless "Iron Man" in conjunction with the Iron Legion. He'd already be working on the android body that will become the Vision, but would need a stronger AI to complete the work.

Ultron-5 could have been his final effort at AI who goes insane with a kind of jealousy when Stark tries to mothball it in favor of the android Vision. He then takes over a Stark LMD to kill Pepper and screw with the Avengers for a while until they see what's really going on; anything to raise our emotional stakes in seeing him go down.

Meantime, Ultron could have been building himself an indestructible vibranium body that practically kills the Avengers until a final showdown with the Vision ends him for good. I would have enjoyed this kind of movie, especially with more visceral and practical special effects like those used by the Russos in Winter Soldier.

Didn't like the jokey Ultron all that much, although Spader's voice was a fine choice.

Dan

I think a lot of the complaints may be fixed with the already-announced Directors Cut with about 40 extra minutes of movie that they cut for time reasons for the theatrical release. I have a feeling you'll get a lot more of the development & emotional stakes-raising with that extra time.

I'm at least curious to see if it fixes the pacing & character development issues that I found with the movie and makes the movie feel like it was less of a collection of cool action scenes. The way it was edited, it gives the film a little bit too much Michael Bay "blow stuff up. Blow stuff up. IT'S BEEN 3 MINUTES, BLOW SOMETHING UP!" feeling.

Yeah, I hope so. I am also sorry to hear that Marvel's suits and their directors keep butting heads as well. Whedon seemed very burned out after this one. Only Gunn seems to be having a blast working for them right now.

Dan

Yeah, I mean this argument seemed to mostly be about "release the best movie" vs "release the best movie that can maximize the number of daily showings it can get at the multiplex".

I think a lot of it probably has to do with them being adamant on a few key scenes that contribute to the overall Phase 2/3 plan. Those can appear tangential to the movie but are just as important as the rest of the story, I think.

I liked Ultron in the movie, though I agree that his origin was rushed.

I really liked the scene where Ultron was 'created' and subsequently 'killed' Jarvis. But as has been said, a lot of his motivation (ie, why does he hate Stark so much, why kill the human race?) was either rushed or omitted.