• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

The first scene is extremely confusing for anyone without any prior knowledge of the Avengers or any of the bad guys.

I feel sorry for those people....all three of them. lol

I'm happy Hawkeye got a lot of time in this movie.. Definitely my favorite Avenger.. Hope they explore more of his story..

I didn't see the problem with Hawkeye getting some screen time.

He is an Avenger...not like he has 3 solo films to star in.

Also, about him and RDJ being old...that didn't bother me at all.

I have always thought Hawkeye was lame. His power sucks. So underpowered compared to many other villains and heroes. In a fire fight he would be smooshed in seconds.

I think he's there with ScarJo to ground it better for the audience (powerless) to identify with.

But, he would have been a better Rocket Raccoon, with his dark eyes and no shoulder blades. hm

Avengers: Age of Ultron boycotted by hundreds of German cinemas

While Avengers: Age of Ultron made an impressive $201m at the global box office in its first weekend, many small towns in Germany were left without the Marvel blockbuster.

Hundreds of cinema owners have refused to show the film, after Disney raised the rental fee, according to Deutsche Welle. Traditionally the film studio would take 47.7% of box-office receipts, but for the superhero sequel, Disney has requested 53%, which has angered many smaller cinemas.

193 towns in Germany have been affected by the boycott, and in total, the film will not be showing on 686 screens on which it otherwise might have.

“We are worried, particularly about eastern Germany,” Karl-Heinz Meier, a spokesman for cinema advocacy group IG Nord said. “When prices go up, then we have a serious problem that could force movie theatres to close.”

As well as the raised fee, Disney has cut the money that it usually contributes towards advertising, as well as advances for 3D glasses. A statement from the studio read: “It goes against our company policy to publicly comment on confidential details regarding our business relationships.”

It’s not the first time that cinemas in Germany have boycotted a release. In 2003, 200 cinemas refused to show Hulk after a similar rise in fees.

Despite the protest, Avengers: Age of Ultron managed a strong start in Germany over the weekend with a $9.3m opening.

Traditionally the film studio would take 47.7% of box-office receipts, but for the superhero sequel, Disney has requested 53%, which has angered many smaller cinemas.

I had no idea studios got so much from overseas. I thought they made almost 55% domestic and only around 15% overseas. Anyone know when this changed?

I'm happy Hawkeye got a lot of time in this movie.. Definitely my favorite Avenger.. Hope they explore more of his story..

I didn't see the problem with Hawkeye getting some screen time.

He is an Avenger...not like he has 3 solo films to star in.

Also, about him and RDJ being old...that didn't bother me at all.

I have always thought Hawkeye was lame. His power sucks. So underpowered compared to many other villains and heroes. In a fire fight he would be smooshed in seconds.

Bit like Batman against Superman then.

Traditionally the film studio would take 47.7% of box-office receipts, but for the superhero sequel, Disney has requested 53%, which has angered many smaller cinemas.

I had no idea studios got so much from overseas. I thought they made almost 55% domestic and only around 15% overseas. Anyone know when this changed?

When America conquered the world.

Decades ago, but it completely depends upon the film. Superhero films have international appeal, so most of them do well overseas. Spidey 1 from 2002 made $403 million domestic and $428 international. X-Men from 2000 made $159 million domestic, $139 million international.

Titanic has worldwide appeal and made $658 million domestic, $1.5 BILLION overseas back in 1997.

Glad to see Hawkeye get more time.

Didn't most of the first one focus on him also?

no

Half of the film is Hawkeye being Loki's mindless drone. The Widow is content to sit in a warehouse in her undies, until she learns that,"Barton has been compromised. Hawkeye leads the assault on the Heli-Carrier. Did I miss anything?

no

Half of the film is Hawkeye being Loki's mindless drone. The Widow is content to sit in a warehouse in her undies, until she learns that,"Barton has been compromised. Hawkeye leads the assault on the Heli-Carrier. Did I miss anything?

Yes.

no

Yes.

It was a nice reverse-tough-guy-type role for Renner. Technically, he was ScarJo's damsel in distress in need of rescuing. Even as you mentioned in the warehouse (tied to a chair), she really didn't need rescuing (shades of Buffy). She always has things under a certain amount of control (right down to the Loki interrogation). I'm not gonna say her her character was a trailblazer for tough young girls, (I'm thinking Elsa & Anna-who really didn't need Christof, Olaf or Sven), but it was a decent enough step. Kudos for Renner for being so game too. He supported her character backstory arc quite nicely, basically being her soul for her path for forgiveness.