• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

I just came back from seeing Avengers: Age of Ultron!

I liked it very much!

To put it in perspective, I only mildly like the first Avengers movie. I thought the first half of that movie was pretty bad, but really liked the second half.

***SPOILERS REVIEW***

Age of Ultron I enjoyed much more than the first Avengers movie. I thought the entire cast did well. I even disliked Renner as Hawkeye much less this time around. Hulk got much more screen time which was cool. War Machine popping in was great too--I think he had the single funniest moment in the movie when his story was met with great interest by the hot gaggle of ladies at the party. I perceive the working chemistry of the cast as stronger this time around. No complaints for the primary cast.

The new additions: Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and the Vision. I enjoyed them. I have a feeling that Elizabeth Olsen auditioned for the part because she is an actress and that's her job. I also have a feeling that she was very surprised when she got the part, because there have to be plenty of eastern European actresses that would have loved that part. Elizabeth wasn't able to get the accent down and she doesn't have the look of an eastern European girl, but other than that, I feel like she played the role very well. She can't help the way she looks, however the not-so-great the accent was noticeable. I do like her as the character...I just think they messed up by passing on a native eastern European girl. The actress aside, I think that Scarlet Witch is a difficult character to capture on the screen. If you ask a long-time Avengers reader what her powers are, they would have a tough time explaining it I bet. "She controls probability hexes!" Her powers are really abstract and loopy. They'd have to get really cerebral like the dream sequence scenes in Inception or worm holes in Interstellar, which might go over the target audience's head. So, they essentially widdled her powers down to generic telekinesis with some mind control, but a shallow version.

Quicksilver was good too, however I do prefer Evan Peters' portrayal of the character.

Vision was cool. I like the look. I like the sound. I like his dialogue and delivery. Great job!

My only gripe of note with the movie is actually the villian: Ultron. I didn't like the design of the character very much. I didn't like that he had a moving mouth. That really bugged me. It looked pretty goofy, I thought. The legion of Ultrons I think was very similar to the legion of renegade Iron Man suits in Iron Man 3 and the aliens in the first Avengers. I feel like the "hordes concept" is tired and that they should mix it up. A medium amount of medium powered villains and a boss? Or a boss and one powerful minion? Something besides a boss and a legion of minions would be refreshing.

But that aside, excellent movie! :D

Saw it tonight with 8 other people, including 4 kids. I thought it was ok but, not very interesting. Most of the other people are marvel die hards, and none of them was raving about needing to see it again. My 12 year old son had the best line when he said to me, I like next avengers better. Yes, the cartoon. From the reactions in the theater, aside from laughter at the jokes, I don't think anyone was really wowed by the movie. I'm sure it will make a ton of money regardless.

Saw it tonight with 8 other people, including 4 kids. I thought it was ok but, not very interesting. Most of the other people are marvel die hards, and none of them was raving about needing to see it again. My 12 year old son had the best line when he said to me, I like next avengers better. Yes, the cartoon. From the reactions in the theater, aside from laughter at the jokes, I don't think anyone was really wowed by the movie. I'm sure it will make a ton of money regardless.

Pretty much sums up my reaction too (though I've never seen the cartoon so I won't go that far). Decent film, but I wasn't wowed.

Pretty good movie. I could live with a little less "witty" banter. The third act feels a lot like other Marvel films, so they may need to not be so formulaic. Never felt like there was as much on the line as CA:TWS. And can we please have a little less of the dramatic, slow-motion action? I'll give them credit though....a lot of proverbial balls in the air. Wheedon sticks more landings than he misses. Pretty cohesive considering all that they were trying to do.

The Vision was pretty awesome.

Did the double feature with the first one. . . not many in the theater, and they didn't allow anyone in for just the second movie (I thought they'd sell just tickets to Age of Ultron).

So, I had an enjoyable time in the theater, AND I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the second half was really entertaining.

Just got back.

I felt that the first Avengers was the reward that was the payoff from all of the other movies. All of the other movies led to Avengers.

I did not really see the connection here outside of name dropping the Infinity Stones and Thor going off in search of what is behind the gathering of these stones. Outside of that, I felt that this movie had but a single purpose and that was to lead into Phase Three. It was not so much the culmination of Phase Two but the lead in to Phase Three.

Did I feel that I got my $17.50 worth? Yes... But I believe that the real films to see will be Cap 3, Guardians 2, and Avengers 3

It was ok. I'll see it again, but I thought Thor 2, Cap 2 and Guardians were better.

Completely agree it felt more like a set up for phase 3 (barely) more than a culmination of phase 2. Kinda a limbo movie (shrug)

But they weren't lying. No end credits scene. :(

Just saw it, really enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as the first one, but it was good. More character stuff, though some of it was a little clunky.

My big takeaway, though...

Vision was awesome.

But more specifically, I thought it was very interesting how they did Vision. Between him wearing the Mind Gem on his forehead, his self-professed "champion of life" status, and his philosophical view of humanity as an outsider, it really felt like they were positioning him as a possible stand-in for Adam Warlock. They even gave him the whole emerging from the cocoon thing as part of his origin.

Yes, some of these elements are present in the Vision, but the way the whole package came together... he just felt very Warlocky to me. I don't know if they are actually going to use Vision in the Adam Warlock role in Infinity War, but it wouldn't surprise me, and I think they might have a hard time introducing Warlock now given how similar he would seem to this version of Vision both in look and personality.

Went to the double feature tonight with my nephew, my girlfriend, and her brother.

I've seen many posts on the humor and that there wasn't as much as the first one. After watching them back to back, I would have to disagree. Plenty of humor, if not more than the first. No problem here seeing more revealed on Hawkeye. And James Spader knocked it out of the park as Ultron.

A few things I disliked:

Not enough screen time for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. We just couldn't connect with them as much. If you watched all the TV spots and trailers, you will have seen 75% of Quicksilver's dialogue. I think Scarlet Witch was handled extremely well, but I think the dreams that she put in the other Avengers heads could've been better.

The back story for Black Widow didn't seem fleshed out enough.

They didn't show how Ultron managed to craft his second "body" after he left the Avengers tower. It felt rushed. Although I do think his creation was handled well. The whole "waking up" and meeting Jarvis was great.

And I have a feeling Quicksilver will be back as they left his death pretty open. Loaded onto the boat and then no other mention?

After I saw the movie last week, I remembered what I saw in the trailer, and this scene wasn't in the movie...right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have no recollection of it in the final cut..

avengers-woman-in-cave-117766.jpg

Wasn't the speculation that this could have been Shuri from Black Panther?

After I saw the movie last week, I remembered what I saw in the trailer, and this scene wasn't in the movie...right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have no recollection of it in the final cut..

Mystery Woman No Longer in ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’

Mystery Woman No Longer in ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’

Ok I guess that clears that up, thanks! (thumbs u

Pertaining to the mystery woman:

She is standing in the pool that Thor visits to learn about the gems etc. Much more was filmed going into the back story of that pool. In the final cut it seems jagged and like um OK so what the hell is this magic pool that heimdel is warning about going into. The directors cut will hopefully flesh that out.

Ok for all those that have seen it I have a question.

Driving into work this morning the DJ's on the radio said that they were getting reports that there is stuff at the very end of the credits (like all the other movies). Now I know Feige and Whedon said there wasn't anything, so have any of you guys waited around to find out? I am going today at 12:30.