• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

Ok for all those that have seen it I have a question.

Driving into work this morning the DJ's on the radio said that they were getting reports that there is stuff at the very end of the credits (like all the other movies). Now I know Feige and Whedon said there wasn't anything, so have any of you guys waited around to find out? I am going today at 12:30.

I saw 2D at 7:00 last night. So unless they added something at the VERY end of the credits for later midnight-ish or IMAX or 3D showings which would make no sense, there was a mid-credits scene (after the stylized credits but before the scrolling black credits) but NOTHING at the very end of the movie. The scrolling black credits stops, the Marvel Studios red & white logo comes up, then the Disney logo, then the "ok, seriously, we're all done go home, why are you still sitting here" theater thing reminding you to pick up your garbage.

Saw it last night...a frenetic, almost rushed feel to the movie, but still a lot of fun (and very fun if you're a die-hard MCU fan). I'd give it 3/4 stars and will definitely be seeing it again in the theatre.

Dan

Just saw it, really enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as the first one, but it was good. More character stuff, though some of it was a little clunky.

My big takeaway, though...

Vision was awesome.

But more specifically, I thought it was very interesting how they did Vision. Between him wearing the Mind Gem on his forehead, his self-professed "champion of life" status, and his philosophical view of humanity as an outsider, it really felt like they were positioning him as a possible stand-in for Adam Warlock. They even gave him the whole emerging from the cocoon thing as part of his origin.

Yes, some of these elements are present in the Vision, but the way the whole package came together... he just felt very Warlocky to me. I don't know if they are actually going to use Vision in the Adam Warlock role in Infinity War, but it wouldn't surprise me, and I think they might have a hard time introducing Warlock now given how similar he would seem to this version of Vision both in look and personality.

My thoughts exactly

I thought it was thoroughly ok.

There are a lot of nice moments, but it didn't really add up to a greater whole. Definitely preferred the first one. YMMV.

Saw it last night...a frenetic, almost rushed feel to the movie, but still a lot of fun (and very fun if you're a die-hard MCU fan). I'd give it 3/4 stars and will definitely be seeing it again in the theatre.

Dan

Is there a reason a movie wouldn't go, say, the full 3 hours and keep all the directors cut in it to make a better picture?

Dan

Is there a reason a movie wouldn't go, say, the full 3 hours and keep all the directors cut in it to make a better picture?

I'm pretty sure there have been studies that conclude that 1.5 to 2 hours is the sweet spot to have the audience fully engaged while also not making them bored or lose focus. As we all know, a kids attention span is usually even shorter so with a movie like The Avengers, they need to stay within that time frame.

Dan

I'm pretty sure there have been studies that conclude that 1.5 to 2 hours is the sweet spot to have the audience fully engaged while also not making them bored or lose focus. As we all know, a kids attention span is usually even shorter so with a movie like The Avengers, they need to stay within that time frame.

One thing I love about really old movies is that they didn't seem to be as affected by so many corporate blow-hards with an opinion. It was a simpler time and there were less people to answer to. People just churned out what they felt was a good story.

Gone With the Wind is a 4 hour film. Can you imagine if someone said "Hey, maybe we should just keep this one to 2:40!" while chewing on a big stogie?

Dan

Part of it also has to do with the theaters requests to keep movies, especially blockbusters, shorter when possible to fit in additional screenings. I know the theater I went to was up to 8 theaters showing it, 7 showing it staggered from 7:00 last night until midnight & 1 (IMAX) showing it once after showing their last screening of the IMAX F&F7.

Dan

Part of it also has to do with the theaters requests to keep movies, especially blockbusters, shorter when possible to fit in additional screenings.

That was what I figured it was at first. More volume.

Ok for all those that have seen it I have a question.

Driving into work this morning the DJ's on the radio said that they were getting reports that there is stuff at the very end of the credits (like all the other movies). Now I know Feige and Whedon said there wasn't anything, so have any of you guys waited around to find out? I am going today at 12:30.

I saw 2D at 7:00 last night. So unless they added something at the VERY end of the credits for later midnight-ish or IMAX or 3D showings which would make no sense, there was a mid-credits scene (after the stylized credits but before the scrolling black credits) but NOTHING at the very end of the movie. The scrolling black credits stops, the Marvel Studios red & white logo comes up, then the Disney logo, then the "ok, seriously, we're all done go home, why are you still sitting here" theater thing reminding you to pick up your garbage.

You forgot the "The Avengers will return" line just before the Marvel logo.

I need some superhero insulin because a dose of Avengers will give you superhero diabetes.

It truly is superhero overload. I enjoyed it, especially how the Vision emerged as being the key component. They did him justice to the comics. But I felt a bit overwhelmed at times. I'm glad I didn't see it in 3D - I think I would have puked by the end of the non-stop battle scene in the church.

Gone With the Wind is a 4 hour film. Can you imagine if someone said "Hey, maybe we should just keep this one to 2:40!" while chewing on a big stogie?

Long movies like that used to have intermissions though, and when Gone With The Wind was first released, a cinema didn't have to compete with downloading, streaming, dvd, or TV. Cinemas need to show a film as many times as they can to turn a profit, the longer a movie, the less screenings.