• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

You almost get the feeling that weddons heart wasn't in this one. The pacing is off, it drags in places, too quick in others.

He's already said it's "very doubtful" he'll direct 3 or 4, so maybe he's burned out. (shrug) Or maybe he's bucking for more money or future contracts, who knows. Nolan said something similar after finishing "The Dark Knight," and I figure he did it to get Warner to let him do other films like "Inception" or "Interstellar."

You almost get the feeling that weddons heart wasn't in this one. The pacing is off, it drags in places, too quick in others.

He's already said it's "very doubtful" he'll direct 3 or 4, so maybe he's burned out. (shrug) Or maybe he's bucking for more money or future contracts, who knows. Nolan said something similar after finishing "The Dark Knight," and I figure he did it to get Warner to let him do other films like "Inception" or "Interstellar."

He's not directing the next ones, the Russos are.

Yeah, Whedon is done except as a consultant for the MCU. I think that fact has led to him stuffing every possible Avengers-related idea he could into this movie, which in turn has prompted much of the critical attacks on the film's pacing, penchant for too many glib one-liners, and "too much going on" in the plot.

At least he went out guns blazing, and a lot of the reviews say there are nevertheless some really great scenes, character development, lines, etc. Just not as polished or hilarious as Avengers.

Dan

Yeah, Whedon is done except as a consultant for the MCU. I think that fact has led to him stuffing every possible Avengers-related idea he could into this movie, which in turn has prompted much of the critical attacks on the film's pacing, penchant for too many glib one-liners, and "too much going on" in the plot.

At least he went out guns blazing, and a lot of the reviews say there are nevertheless some really great scenes, character development, lines, etc. Just not as polished or hilarious as Avengers.

Dan

This sums up my feelings 100%. It was really good, I think I just wanted it to be great (and it could have been, with a little more editing and tightening up)

I've just received an email from Amazon stating that the Age of Ultron Blu-ray may contain an extended version of the film, which I hope will correct the pacing issues discussed here, although they also said that the additional content hasn't been confirmed yet. Maybe a little pointless at this early stage, but interesting nonetheless.

Avengers Assemble RT rating: 92%

Age of Ultron RT rating (so far): 72%

Reviews have not been as kind it seems? hm

You shouldn't go and see it then.

I will go see it based on your stellar review alone. :/

You should stay home and read a book.

Avengers #57?

Avengers #57?

It's a start.

Based on that above, it's essentially already on pure profit money before it's even had a single showing in the US. (well, maybe a little more after cost of advertising is added in)

Based on that above, it's essentially already on pure profit money before it's even had a single showing in the US. (well, maybe a little more after cost of advertising is added in)

Based on the current box office (which is fantastic for only a few days), it equals budget for producing the movie. In order to cover ticket sales shares and regional distribution shares, the movie needs to hit 2.5X or greater. This movie will have no problem far surpassing that number.

It's quite good. I just got home. Saw it in 2D.

It's not quite as awe-inspiring as the first one, but that's because that was something nobody had seen before. And I'm really looking forward to the film breathing more with the BluRay version with the extra 40-odd minutes of film that got cut from Joss's original cut, but it's quite good. I genuinely enjoyed it. It had the trademark humor, new jokes, old jokes re-hashed in an interesting way, and a pretty compelling villain (which has been missing in a few Marvel movies). I really enjoyed it & can't wait to see it again tomorrow night.