• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

I've never found the Vision interesting. Nor Ultron, really. What am I overlooking? Even when I was 11 or 12, I felt like sentient robots were "been there, done that," so I never had much reason to like them. (shrug) Maybe they were more novel back in 1968 when Stan created him, but by the 80s I had seen too much of the concept. hm

I've never found the Vision interesting. Nor Ultron, really. What am I overlooking? Even when I was 11 or 12, I felt like sentient robots were "been there, done that," so I never had much reason to like them. (shrug) Maybe they were more novel back in 1968 when Stan created him, but by the 80s I had seen too much of the concept. hm

Neither did I. Never got into them and never understood the appeal.

I was lucky enough to grow up reading George Perez' first run on Avengers, which included some great Vision moments and a terrific Ultron arc in issues 161-162. I think those particular issues highlight many people's interest in Ultron as a villain...does anyone else find them the source for loving Ultron?

And the Vision-Hyperion battle in #147 was instrumental in my thinking that the Vision was cool...

Dan

BOX OFFICE: AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Set To Smash US Records With $230M Debut

Avengers: Age of Ultron opened at #1 in 44 countries last week, earning over $200 million in a matter of days. However, Deadline has now updated their projections for the sequel's domestic debut, and things are looking very good for Marvel Studios once again. Conservative estimates have the movie opening around the $200 million mark, meaning it would possibly come in slightly lower or around the same amount as The Avengers. More likely however is the movie beating its record breaking 2012 bow with a haul of between $210 million - $230 million. Whatever happens, Marvel can't lose as even a rival studio distribution chief admitted to the site, "If the film opens and makes $190 million, and comes in as the second highest grossing weekend of all-time, how can that be anything but great?!"

I'm not seeing it till Saturday :cry:

I have to wait till Monday :cry:

I have to wait until 11am on Friday!

;)

7:30 on Thursday for me.

A couple of years ago they started releasing blockbusters the day before around me, instead of the midnight showings at 12:01 AM. Don't know why but it sure makes Friday's at work much more tolerable.

Jim

I was lucky enough to grow up reading George Perez' first run on Avengers, which included some great Vision moments and a terrific Ultron arc in issues 161-162. I think those particular issues highlight many people's interest in Ultron as a villain...does anyone else find them the source for loving Ultron?

And the Vision-Hyperion battle in #147 was instrumental in my thinking that the Vision was cool...

Dan

Perez and Busiek's 'Ultron Unlimited' storyline is my favourite.

The Vision was my favorite Avenger.

Dan

Those are great books.

The Vision was my favorite Avenger.

I was jealous that he was with Wanda.

He was created by Roy Thomas, not Stan Lee. And while he was never my favorite, I always thought he was a good supporting member.

He was created by Roy Thomas, not Stan Lee. And while he was never my favorite, I always thought he was a good supporting member.

I was under the impression that Thomas wanted to just bring back the Golden Age version of Vision, but Stan insisted that he be different and an android. Are you thinking that's mistaken?

I was under the impression that Thomas wanted to just bring back the Golden Age version of Vision, but Stan insisted that he be different and an android. Are you thinking that's mistaken?

Looks like wiki credits Lee, Thomas and Buscema, but I bet Roy did the bulk of the character development. From the impression I got from the way Roy Thomas tells it, he wanted to bring back the GA Vision and Stan said 'use a new android.' Roy Thomas was averse to creating new characters while under a work-for-hire situation, so they settled on the cross between new and old. I don't think Stan did much besides saying he wanted a new android (ie editorial work). Probably yet another example of Stan taking most of the credit while doing very little.

Looks like wiki credits Lee, Thomas and Buscema, but I bet Roy did the bulk of the character development. From the impression I got from the way Roy Thomas tells it, he wanted to bring back the GA Vision and Stan said 'use a new android.' Roy Thomas was averse to creating new characters while under a work-for-hire situation, so they settled on the cross between new and old. I don't think Stan did much besides saying he wanted a new android (ie editorial work). Probably yet another example of Stan taking most of the credit while doing very little.

What did Roy Thomas add that wasn't in Joe Simon's version of Vision? I ask because I have no idea, I've never read any of the Golden Age comics featuring Vision. I just know what he looked like and that he was an alien.

I read Avengers during the 80s but couldn't figure out why anybody liked Vision. He didn't inspire me to ever go back and read the older stuff with him, but I've similarly wondered why anybody cared about the Golden Age version either. (shrug)

Idk, haven't read any GA Vision stuff either. I usually can't stomach GA besides EC.

But I don't think saying 'make the android new' constitutes creating the character. Roy Thomas created Ultron who then used the body of the Human Torch to create the new Vision (his Vision of destruction).

Much of his character development was tied to his romance with the Scarlet Witch. In the Kree/Skrull War, the Vision was willing to lie and let others stand in harm's way in order to save her.

These are all Roy Thomas stories, not Stan Lee ones. The root idea of a robot with human emotions was not new, but imo this version was largely developed by Roy Thomas.