• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

And folks thought that interviewer asked questions that cast a bad light...

Avengers: Age of Ultron Stars Under Fire for Calling Scarlett Johansson’s Character a ‘Slut’ and ‘Whore’

A Digital Spy UK interview with Avengers: Age of Ultron stars Jeremy Renner and Chris Evans has sparked controversy because the actors called Scarlett Johansson’s character Natasha Romanoff—aka spy/assassin/agent “the Black Widow” in the Marvel universe—a “slut” and a “complete whore” when the interviewer asked what they thought of fans’ expectation that she’d end up with one of them.

Although stated as a joke, it looks like female fans didn't find it funny.

:eek:

Not saying she slept with any of them…thanks Comics Code…but how many people has she "dated"?

Daredevil? Check!

Iron Man? Check!

Captain America? Check!

Hawkeye? Check!

Hercules? Check!

Bucky? Check!

Dr. Doom in 1602? Check!

There are probably more I'm missing, but seriously, can you think of any other female character from comics who "dated" more than her?

Again…this doesn't make her a slut but she is very "popular".

If you're going to create a list like that for Black Widow, you'd better create one for "billionaire playboy" Tony Stark as well or as long as we're slinging stereotypes we might just have to slap you with a "misogynist" label. Which doesn't necessarily make you one, just "very focused on one gender's promiscuousness but not the other's." :baiting:

Not saying she slept with any of them…thanks Comics Code…but how many people has she "dated"?

Daredevil? Check!

Iron Man? Check!

Captain America? Check!

Hawkeye? Check!

Hercules? Check!

Bucky? Check!

Dr. Doom in 1602? Check!

There are probably more I'm missing, but seriously, can you think of any other female character from comics who "dated" more than her?

Man, I've dated a lot more than 7 women. Even slept with more than 7 women. Does that make me a slut? hm

If you're going to create a list like that for Black Widow, you'd better create one for "billionaire playboy" Tony Stark as well or as long as we're slinging stereotypes we might just have to slap you with a "misogynist" label. Which doesn't necessarily make you one, just "very focused on one gender's promiscuousness but not the other's." :baiting:

True…but Tony Stark dated a lot of women who are not of any particular importance to the comics. You usually see him with some "arm candy" who's name we never learn.

If he dated a bunch of women who were actually characters, we could list that too.

Has nothing to do with being a misogynist…it is just facts.

I think this is another case of taking something a little too seriously. It wasn't sexist at all, it's accurate (though I think the words "slut" and "whore" aren't the best choice), seeing as she flirts with Iron Man in his movie, Cap in his movie and now Banner in the Avengers. :shrug:

Wrong words, though.

Daredevil? Check!

Iron Man? Check!

Captain America? Check!

Hawkeye? Check!

Hercules? Check!

Bucky? Check!

Dr. Doom in 1602? Check!

Man, I've dated a lot more than 7 women. Even slept with more than 7 women. Does that make me a slut? hm

YES. (tsk)

Daredevil? Check!

Iron Man? Check!

Captain America? Check!

Hawkeye? Check!

Hercules? Check!

Bucky? Check!

Dr. Doom in 1602? Check!

YES. (tsk)

:acclaim:

Wait! What?

I think this is another case of taking something a little too seriously. It wasn't sexist at all, it's accurate (though I think the words "slut" and "whore" aren't the best choice), seeing as she flirts with Iron Man in his movie, Cap in his movie and now Banner in the Avengers. :shrug:

Wrong words, though.

Yes, but saying it isn't sexist is like saying using the N word isn't racist because some are, in fact, descended from ancestors of people who were born in Nigeria. :o:fear:

My main problem with words like slut and whore is that we need some male equivalents to those concepts. "Man-slut" and "man-whore" just haven't gained the same traction that the root words have. :eek:

I'm happy to be a slut, then.

+1

But those words have real negative connotations when applied to women. Men wear it like a badge of honor. :acclaim: And that's the problem, the gender double-standard. I avoid the words knowing that the double-standard exists.

they are pretending that their characters are upset about her choosing Bruce, there is nothing even remotely sexist about it. Find the next faux victim cause to overreact to...

To be fair, the Black Widow in the comics is (or at least was) at some point willing to use her sexuality (or more) to achieve her objectives. That's what the Black Widow program was about, and that's where she gets her name. I'm pretty sure that falls within one of the common definitions of the word.

Also Tony Stark is absolutely a slut, doesn't he actually admit to it in one of the movies?

There is a double standard, of course, and that's not ideal. But there doesn't seem to be a huge need for outrage.