• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

Fascinating. Sounds like Whedon felt the pressure of making his last Avengers movie and tried to stuff every possible idea/arc into the film, then foolishly cut it way down instead of letting it be 2:40 or some such length to accommodate its many moving parts.

My only issue with Christopher Nolan as a film-maker is his tendency to cram too much stuff into a single film (Dark Knight Returns a prime example). Sounds like Whedon hit the same snags, some of which could have been easily fixed.

That said, if I laugh and get excited and enjoy the characters during the movie, it'll still be fine in my book!

Dan

I think a lot was crammed in, but it all worked for me. The twins, Vision, Ultron, glimpses of back stories, and future stories, cameos, 3 or 4 BIG action sequences, Sokovia, Wakanda. There's a LOT in the movie, and the editing does feel a bit odd at times. But in my opinion every addition paid off in terms of story and the thrill of seeing these things on the big screen.

One of the commenters above criticised how old Hawkeye looks, and I did get that myself, HD isn't kind to Jeremy Renner. But also, it's his only face lol It doesn't hurt the story or the film at all as far as I was concerned.

The big thing I pulled from the film is that it's definitely a transitional film. There's a lot of setting up for other films to come. They are setting up new character additions to the MCU, they are setting up Civil War, Infinity War and Ragnarok. I got the feeling we will probably see a Black Widow film too from sequences that we saw. As well as dealing with elements from the first Avengers movie. I guess a lot of people won't like that element, but hey, I loved it :grin:

im half way through the cam version.

I like it. But then again, I liked Iron Man 2, I Liked Spider-Man 3...so what do I know.

I do think it's hard to recreate the magic of Avengers 1 which was built up over 5 movies.

I'm happy Hawkeye got a lot of time in this movie.. Definitely my favorite Avenger.. Hope they explore more of his story..

I didn't see the problem with Hawkeye getting some screen time.

He is an Avenger...not like he has 3 solo films to star in.

Also, about him and RDJ being old...that didn't bother me at all.

I'm happy Hawkeye got a lot of time in this movie.. Definitely my favorite Avenger.. Hope they explore more of his story..

This.

The personal stuff with Hawkeye, Widow & the twins is what makes the movie interesting.

to date the filmed has earned a total of

$ 201,200,000 (international market) and most countries it has not even started yet

I think its going to be HUGE overall and I cant wait until May ~ 1 ~ !!

already this seems staggering to me, the last movie made $895,237,000 59.0% overseas, this movie doesn't even open in in China until mid May and Japan is last around the 4th of July. I think this one will make MUCH more then the first!

I got the release dates here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395427/releaseinfo

to date the filmed has earned a total of

$ 201,200,000 (international market) and most countries it has not even started yet

I think its going to be HUGE overall and I cant wait until May ~ 1 ~ !!

already this seems staggering to me, the last movie made $895,237,000 59.0% overseas, this movie doesn't even open in in China until mid May and Japan is last around the 4th of July. I think this one will make MUCH more then the first!

I got the release dates here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395427/releaseinfo

will do $1BB+ overseas easily

That interviewer pulled something similar with Tarantino a few years back I believe.

This is it. Tarantino drags him over the coals for it for several minutes as opposed to just walking out.

Tarantino is one of the best interviewees you could ever hope for, and he puts that imbecile right in his place. What a waste! Tarantino ready to talk and all he does is say "Your movies promote violence. Dur, that's bad." Tarantino has answered that naive line of questioning quite brilliantly in the past, and this interviewer can't even frame a coherent question.

The RDJ one was even more cringeable. He's there to film a commercial for Avengers, and this buffoon says "You used to take drugs. You have DARK PERIODS in your life. Um, your father, or something. Er..."

I didn't see the problem with Hawkeye getting some screen time.

He is an Avenger...not like he has 3 solo films to star in.

Also, about him and RDJ being old...that didn't bother me at all.

I have always thought Hawkeye was lame. His power sucks. So underpowered compared to many other villains and heroes. In a fire fight he would be smooshed in seconds.

I saw it twice at the weekend (once with a friend, then with my son the next day) in 3D and then 2D. I strongly advise the 2D showing! The 3D added nothing and was decidedly murky and indistinct in places, whereas the 2D was much clearer and brighter. The heavy action scenes were much more impressive in 2D.

That's the first time I've had the chance to compare at the cinema, and will opt for 2D in future I think.

Movie was fun and just a shade better than expected (I was expecting IM sequel levels). Could have done with a few better jokes (there was nothing as funny as 'puny god' for example). Ultron was extremely Whedonesque with typical Whedon villain iconoclasm, and got a few good laughs. Lots of inventive teamwork action moments that lifted it from the monotony I feared could occur when fighting hordes of robots.

Better than my lowish expectations. Would watch again (and did) (thumbs u