• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

So still kind of waiting for this thread to sort out. Is it safe to surmise that this is the Okajima family collection rather than just Bette’s collection?

I can’t believe how much info has been posted here. Some of you folks have too much time on your hands…:roflmao:

On 8/1/2022 at 6:38 AM, zzutak said:

Here's a coded camp book that I found among the 2500 GA "Winters Collection" books recently acquired by A-1 Comics.  More age- and storage-related blemishes than most of the other Okajimas I've run across over the years, but still a nifty (and unexpected) find.  :grin:

Leading-11.thumb.jpg.b66dc050e4d21caab8a3907968955fe8.jpg

Sweet score Jay. That copy was probably purchased when the collection originally surfaced and just locked away. What a dopey cover but probably my favorite from that run.

Thanks, Bob.  :hi:  It's actually Brian's score (but I'll pass along your best wishes).  And I'm pretty sure you're correct about this particular book's post-1995 history.  (thumbsu

On 2/18/2023 at 6:56 PM, JQ Comics said:

Awesome thread, and beautiful stuff everyone!! I just bought this graded issue of detective comics  in a private sale ,  the previous owner got it from someone who had it for years and probably found it in the wild 🤔? My first Okajima copy. Even though CGC missed it, i will be sending it in to get the gold label :applause:

Nice find, that's a previously unknown copy to this thread.

On 8/1/2022 at 8:38 AM, zzutak said:

Here's a coded camp book that I found among the 2500 GA "Winters Collection" books recently acquired by A-1 Comics.  More age- and storage-related blemishes than most of the other Okajimas I've run across over the years, but still a nifty (and unexpected) find.  :grin:

Leading-11.thumb.jpg.b66dc050e4d21caab8a3907968955fe8.jpg

As far as age and storage related blemishes, how do you like dem apples . . .

67B6975B-CD3C-4016-9D12-F69B1B86B9BA.jpeg

C8712A33-CDFC-40F5-8F52-2DFB75503F55.jpeg

On 2/18/2023 at 5:56 PM, JQ Comics said:

Awesome thread, and beautiful stuff everyone!! I just bought this graded issue of detective comics  in a private sale ,  the previous owner got it from someone who had it for years and probably found it in the wild 🤔? My first Okajima copy. Even though CGC missed it, i will be sending it in to get the gold label :applause:

92F6AA45-CA56-473D-8805-AF12D2C6509E.jpeg

Wow, nice find!!! Camp coded and one of the best Joker covers!!! Well done!!!  :applause:

On 2/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, Frisco Larson said:

You're very welcome! I'm sure you already know this, but those camp coded books sell for a pretty big premium! I've seen some go at auction for just astronomical prices! 

I didn’t know :whatthe: that. Wow , i did see a marvel mystery comics 2.0 ( cant remember the issue) last year sell for around 7k. It had the camp code on it. 

On 2/27/2023 at 11:39 PM, Telegan said:

For anyone interested, there's an Okajima Black Rider #1 up for sale on the ComicLink auction.  Some famous dude on the cover. :D

I'm guessing this will close at at least $5K. Without the ped, I'd guess it would be more like $2,500-$3,000.

On 2/28/2023 at 6:17 AM, zzutak said:

Another camp-coded book recently found in the wild.  Downgraded by the seller for "writing on the cover."  :whistle:  :takeit:  :devil:

Heroic-23.thumb.jpg.42d5d23d0a510dd7b599d09757f45bb3.jpg

Even worse, the writing is in pen! I hope you bargained for a bigger discount on that basis. :D