• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2023 at 9:01 PM, zzutak said:

A Sqeggs sighting!  :whatthe:  Trying your best to squeeze four months worth of posts into a single day?  (shrug)  :hi:

Just try and stop me! Just you try and stop me! The evening's young!

On 2/28/2023 at 7:19 PM, JQ Comics said:

I didn’t know :whatthe: that. Wow , i did see a marvel mystery comics 2.0 ( cant remember the issue) last year sell for around 7k. It had the camp code on it. 

Yeah, they can go for some pretty crazy prices! A Heritage back search ought to show some crazy figures.  (thumbsu

On 9/10/2023 at 10:49 AM, path4play said:

I was wondering the same thing. Although I do have a 4.0 Sensation, that's pretty much the lowest I've seen.

On 9/10/2023 at 9:49 AM, path4play said:

Aren't there several Okajimas with no signature?  Especially after the war.  I know some of the later ones had that "T" or "F" designation/distributor code written on them (like this one).  I wrote some notes down about the pedigree and the "T" or "F" codes being on there post-war was something I noted from a website.  However, that website also stated that in these situations the back cover also usually had the purchase date either written or stamped on the back, so ... I dunno.

Edited by Telegan

On 9/10/2023 at 10:21 PM, Telegan said:

Aren't there several Okajimas with no signature?  Especially after the war.  I know some of the later ones had that "T" or "F" designation/distributor code written on them (like this one).  I wrote some notes down about the pedigree and the "T" or "F" codes being on there post-war was something I noted from a website.  However, that website also stated that in these situations the back cover also usually had the purchase date either written or stamped on the back, so ... I dunno.

Here is one of mine. Has a “T” code on front and “1-17-52” on back cover. Came with one of Alan Bahr’s certificates. 

IMG_7351.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

IMG_7352.jpeg

On 9/11/2023 at 3:17 AM, comicnoir said:

My Okajima currently on the Ha.com Sig.

Yep saw that! GLWS, will be interesting watching the price.  Your book probably best encapsulates the entire pedigree.

I was specifically referring to four low grade books.  Just never seen Okajima with water damage like that, perhaps that occurred under a second or third owners watch and he or she had original certificates?  Shame.  Even a couple of the titles were odd for the pedigree imo.  The True looks to have even some chew.  No dates stamped or written on back etc.,  Just interesting additions to the pedigree, that's all.  

Edited by path4play

On 9/15/2023 at 2:31 PM, path4play said:

Yep saw that! GLWS, will be interesting watching the price.  Your book probably best encapsulates the entire pedigree.

I was specifically referring to four low grade books.  Just never seen Okajima with water damage like that, perhaps that occurred under a second or third owners watch and he or she had original certificates?  Shame.  Even a couple of the titles were odd for the pedigree imo.  The True looks to have even some chew.  No dates stamped or written on back etc.,  Just interesting additions to the pedigree, that's all.  

These were consigned by me, and they are 100% legit (for those who don’t know, I was the person who pedigreed the okajimas originally).  Some of the books on the bottom of the stacks had moisture and termite damage, and these are examples of those.  Some had more pervasive damage, while others had localized termite damage on otherwise high grade books.  The nature of the way they were stored.  

On 9/16/2023 at 2:41 PM, Blackmask said:

There were a fair number like this….really nice books with white pages, but termite damage.

Sparkler #29 "Okajima" - that's a new one on the thread!  Appreciate the share Blackmask.  Anything Okajima is real treasure.  I'll be following the auction closely.

On 9/16/2023 at 1:20 PM, Blackmask said:

These were consigned by me, and they are 100% legit (for those who don’t know, I was the person who pedigreed the okajimas originally).  Some of the books on the bottom of the stacks had moisture and termite damage, and these are examples of those.  Some had more pervasive damage, while others had localized termite damage on otherwise high grade books.  The nature of the way they were stored.  

I would be extremely proud to own the worst condition Okajima book out there.  It would be a highlight of my collection.  @Blackmask if, by some chance, you have any in low grade condition like that you want to get rid of - let's talk!  I don't have a big budget, but I am looking to consolidate the stories of many of these pedigrees and want to do so by creating a video series on each of the pedigrees - I even have a few of them done!!  Okajima is one that I have kind of put out of mind because they are generally out of my league price-wise.

I feel like these books all tell stories that are getting lost in much of today's culture - so I want to preserve what I can and would love to tell the story of the Okajima pedigree with a book in hand.

PDG

On 2/8/2024 at 9:20 PM, Karen's Pages said:

For those interested in the Okajima Pedigree, I posted a video today on my YouTube channel, Karen’s Pages.  I’ve researched this pedigree for the past couple of months and I believe I have discovered whom these comic books belong to.  Also, I believe I answer a lot of the questions/mysteries that have been posted in this thread.  The information that everyone has posted in this thread over the last decade was extremely helpful, especially images of the Okajima Pedigree books.  I sincerely hope you enjoy the video and I appreciate any comments.  Thank you. ~Karen

Hi Karen , you did some incredible research on this. I recently looked into two GA pedigrees and managed to "solve the mystery" of one but it took nowhere near the amount of effort you put in on this. I watched your entire video. Just outstanding research. Have you looked into locating any children of Jayne and Mitsuru? 

On 2/8/2024 at 11:35 PM, adamstrange said:

Outstanding research! (worship)

Having watched your video, I think you have established that the wrong Okajima family has been associated with the collection and that family at the Poston camp fits all the known facts to where they should be designated as the original owners.

As to who collected the comics, I don't think we are any closer to knowing how much were bought by/owned by Jayne vs. Mitsuru.  I think the family history you turned up and the types of comics in the collection make me lean towards some Jayne books during WWII, probably a few after, but the vast majority bought by Mitsuru, who saved all of them until they were sold in the 90s.

More might be determined by following up on descendants of those two.

It seems they both owned them. They probably each bought some as they came out and shared them. Mitsuru hung on to them and preserved them. Yeah if he or Jayne had children they probably would know something if not everything about the books. 

Edited by Professor K

On 2/8/2024 at 11:35 PM, adamstrange said:

Outstanding research! (worship)

Having watched your video, I think you have established that the wrong Okajima family has been associated with the collection and that family at the Poston camp fits all the known facts to where they should be designated as the original owners.

As to who collected the comics, I don't think we are any closer to knowing how much were bought by/owned by Jayne vs. Mitsuru.  I think the family history you turned up and the types of comics in the collection make me lean towards some Jayne books during WWII, probably a few after, but the vast majority bought by Mitsuru, who saved all of them until they were sold in the 90s.

More might be determined by following up on descendants of those two.

I may not have understood completely but the two Okajima families being from the same town and it not being a common surname like she said there probably is a connection. Most likely all the younger members at the camps were cousins. It's possible that members of both families bought the books and one of them saved them all. Seems like there wasn't much else to to in these isolated camps other than read or play cards and board games. Either way this case has been cracked. 

On 2/8/2024 at 8:20 PM, Karen's Pages said:

For those interested in the Okajima Pedigree, I posted a video today on my YouTube channel, Karen’s Pages.  I’ve researched this pedigree for the past couple of months and I believe I have discovered whom these comic books belong to.  Also, I believe I answer a lot of the questions/mysteries that have been posted in this thread.  The information that everyone has posted in this thread over the last decade was extremely helpful, especially images of the Okajima Pedigree books.  I sincerely hope you enjoy the video and I appreciate any comments.  Thank you. ~Karen

When I saw the length of the video I didn’t think I would make it all the way through, but you did such an outstanding job I was riveted. It makes the story of this pedigree even more fascinating to me now. Excellent job. (thumbsu

On 2/9/2024 at 3:51 AM, Professor K said:

It seems they both owned them. They probably each bought some as they came out and shared them. Mitsuru hung on to them and preserved them. Yeah if he or Jayne had children they probably would know something if not everything about the books. 

This makes the most sense to me. In an oppressive environment that still allowed a family unit, I would think altruism may become even more likely. I've only had a handful of Okajimas, but they seemed well taken care of, and I've seen PLENTY of hoards that were NOT taken care of :bigsmile:. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

some of them only had arrivals on the back, in what seemed like the same handwriting, based on the few I've seen. 

Edited by jimjum12