• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2022 at 11:01 PM, skypinkblu said:

Women read comics...

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait just a dog-gone minute.

Are you really saying "Women read comics?"

Well, huh. Whodathunkit?

Learn sumthin new every day.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:02 AM, Robot Man said:

The Prize is my copy. What does the “2” stand for? 

Based on where it falls in the chronology of the collection it looks like an incomplete okajima code. 

It falls within the "2" code series. After the 2R codes (bought on 3-18, including copies of Zip Comics #46, Marvel Mystery Comics #55, and Police Comics #30), and before the 2T codes (bought on 3-29, Super Magician V3n1, and Captain Aero Comics #15) 

I dont have records of any books with the 2S code, so maybe this was supposed to be a 2S and she didnt finish the code? 

I think @skypinkblu raised the point about how CGC identifies the later unmarked Okajimas as being part of the pedigree. I know I've seen a number of them with COAs. Did they all have those (although, of course, they sometimes get mislaid) or were they added by only one of the buyers of the collection?

On a related note, I've had '50s books sold to me that the dealers have sworn are Church copies and in several cases I wasn't able to convince the CGC graders even though there seemed to be a clear chain of ownership. It's a shame when ped books get slabbed without the ped designation--leaving aside the financial angle! 

On 6/10/2022 at 6:08 PM, Sqeggs said:

I think @skypinkblu raised the point about how CGC identifies the later unmarked Okajimas as being part of the pedigree. I know I've seen a number of them with COAs. Did they all have those (although, of course, they sometimes get mislaid) or were they added by only one of the buyers of the collection?

On a related note, I've had '50s books sold to me that the dealers have sworn are Church copies and in several cases I wasn't able to convince the CGC graders even though there seemed to be a clear chain of ownership. It's a shame when ped books get slabbed without the ped designation--leaving aside the financial angle! 

I like to scrub the identifying marks off of pedigree books.  It confuses the hell out of people...:insane:

On 6/10/2022 at 9:08 PM, Sqeggs said:

the COAs were made by Alan Barr when he acquired about a third of the pedigree in the 90s (I think mostly from one of the original 3 buyers along with some other ones he was able to acquire around the area shows as they started to be sold by the 3 original buyers at shows up and down the west coast). Alan documented his portion of the pedigree (book, grade, markings, dates, codes), which was the jumping off point for my Okajima reference list. His documentation is included in the *cough* as yet unpublished pedigree book. 

Edited by miraclemet

On 6/11/2022 at 3:45 PM, miraclemet said:

the COAs were made by Alan Barr when he acquired about a third of the pedigree in the 90s (I think mostly from one of the original 3 buyers along with some other ones he was able to acquire around the area shows as they started to be sold by the 3 original buyers at shows up and down the west coast). Alan documented his portion of the pedigree (book, grade, markings, dates, codes), which was the jumping off point for my Okajima reference list. His documentation is included in the *cough*  any day now to be published pedigree book. 

FTFY;)

That's where I first read about the pedigree, too. It was so long ago, I can't remember when that was.