• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Hoarder said:

Hi all,  I won this one.  Very excited.  I love these camp-era books.  I think it is an amazing pedigree and find the story behind them incredibly poignant.

Congrats!

It's a very cool book for sure. It's one of the most "flourish" examples of her signature (look at how big she goes with the "k"!)

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Surprised that it didn't go even higher.  Did the seller emphasize that it was the Okajima copy?

6.5x the price of a nonpedigree copy, seems within recent performance  range for the lower grade copies or the copies with just ok subject material on the cover. A more visual WWII battle scene and this would have sold for more like 10x (Like the Fightin' Yank did on Ha recently.)

4 hours ago, Hoarder said:

Hi all,  I won this one.  Very excited.  I love these camp-era books.  I think it is an amazing pedigree and find the story behind them incredibly poignant.

Nice win:) I was one of the underbidders as well.  I think I was high bidder for most of the week, then I had company and got distracted, so I'm glad a boarder won it.

I think the market seems to have settled on... 

Mid-grade camp era books: 5-7x market for non-ped copy (example the Captain Midnight)

High grade, classic cover, or military cover camp era books: 10x market for non-ped copy (example Yank on HA) 

Non-camp era books: 2x market for non-ped copy (but this can swell to 4x market if the market has been okajima dry for a while) (example Firehair on CC a few months back)

I have to go back and look to see if my sense lines up with more of the recent past results...

(why did I star this thread if I wanted to collect these books!?!?!? I should have kept my darn mouth shut... would have saved some money and had more sweet Okajimas...)

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I think the market seems to have settled on... 

Mid-grade camp era books: 5-7x market for non-ped copy (example the Captain Midnight)

High grade, classic cover, or military cover camp era books: 10x market for non-ped copy (example Yank on HA) 

Non-camp era books: 2x market for non-ped copy (but this can swell to 4x market if the market has been okajima dry for a while) (example Firehair on CC a few months back)

I have to go back and look to see if my sense lines up with more of the recent past results...

(why did I star this thread if I wanted to collect these books!?!?!? I should have kept my darn mouth shut... would have saved some money and had more sweet Okajimas...)

I'm glad you did, I never would have known about these wonderful books!  I've got two in my collection now (1 camp, 1 post camp), and hope to add many more. (thumbsu

Congrats @Hoarder on a great example!

On 7/9/2017 at 11:19 PM, Hoarder said:

Congrats I was an underbidder bidding from the phone that told me I was the top bidder. 

15 hours ago, deadleg said:

This one came in the mail today. Glad to finally own another Okajima and it's another camp book for my collection. 

IMG_3907.JPG

Great one! Not many Action comics in her collection, so that's a good one. Can you look and share what the code is written on the upper right side of the cover is? It looks like a "k" but I can't tell if it's 2k or 3k....

57 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Great one! Not many Action comics in her collection, so that's a good one. Can you look and share what the code is written on the upper right side of the cover is? It looks like a "k" but I can't tell if it's 2k or 3k....

5-24-44 and the code is 3R

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

I saw that one. I think I'm gonna have to pass on this one sadly :sorry:. There's just so many other books I want from Comiclink's upcoming September Focused auction. I am curious to see where this one ends. 

36 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Yonkers.

Overstreet value for the book around $125...final hammer for the camp Oklahoma... $1150.

Anyone here win it? The cool things out this book (besides the camp per), it was bought on leap year day, Feb 29th 1944.

00085361675156110285044015.jpg

Interested in who won it as well, my last bid was 1010.