• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2017 at 4:36 AM, miraclemet said:

I think the market seems to have settled on... 

Mid-grade camp era books: 5-7x market for non-ped copy (example the Captain Midnight)

High grade, classic cover, or military cover camp era books: 10x market for non-ped copy (example Yank on HA) 

Non-camp era books: 2x market for non-ped copy (but this can swell to 4x market if the market has been okajima dry for a while) (example Firehair on CC a few months back)

I have to go back and look to see if my sense lines up with more of the recent past results...

(why did I star this thread if I wanted to collect these books!?!?!? I should have kept my darn mouth shut... would have saved some money and had more sweet Okajimas...)

found it, here's what I said last year. (above)

I also think there is now something of a floor for camp books that people will pay regardless of the book, just to have one from the pedigree. Im not sure what that floor is, but with so few sales theres not a ton of data to use to extrapolate. 

Few fun facts, having used the listing shared here, marked the day of week from written cover dates and pulled in the released dates for the issues.

She made purchases about every three days.    Mainly on Saturday's or Tuesdays (never Sunday).

• Friday    7%
  • Monday    9%
  • Thursday    11%
  • Wednesday    12%
  • Saturday    30%
  • Tuesday    32%

About 1/4th of the time, she purchased more than one copy (2 to 3 copies).  

Gaps in the codes from the list correlate pretty nicely with gaps in the dates, aka periods of say 12 days between dates also tend to have missing codes.

The most "missing" copies or gaps are prior to 2/12/1944, where I would say about 1/2 the still unknown copies are likely from.

The other biggest gap (maybe 30% of missing copies) are at the end of the camp time frame between 6/30/44 and 9/6/44, a period notable for also containing "camp 1" and "camp 3" marks on two copies.

Edited by path4play

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

are you saying you no longer have a shadow that a boardie who loves you managed to get over to you once upon a time???????????????

Of course I have my Shadow, I just temporarily forgot it was a camp cover, it was just an I love him cover.;) He's off getting a new set of clothes;) Wow, billy now I'm really excited, I forgot I had two...plus a few other non camp ones, I love them all.

Two outstanding questions (that may never have an answer):

1.  The first book apparently is Red Dragon Comics #7, released 3/30/1943.  I presume this must of had a certificate of authenticity, as I don't believe it contains any of the traditional identifying markings?  The next known book is Startling Comics #24 "Okajima" - released a full 150 days later (8/27/1943).  Given the systematic comic purchases that follow, is this when she started collecting or were earlier books lost to time?  

2.  The last known coded book is Sensation #35 "Okajima 4y"  (no date written, issue released 9/6/44).  A Fighting Yank #10 (released 10/3/44) is listed as sold on GPA, and after that we have a Mystery Comics #4  (released 10/27/44) with the date stamp known mainly for post camp books - no writing.  I have read that some internees were able to leave prior to the December '44 suspension of Executive Order 9066 (particularly if they owned property, had employment etc.,).  So the question is when did she leave and move back home?  Did she acquire the stamp in camp, and switch from writing to stamping?  Or was she able to move in late '44 and upon returning home relatively seamlessly continue purchasing comics and switch (from what looks like fountain pen) to stamp?

Edited by path4play

@path4play you ask good questions.

My answers are very assumptive based on general reading about the families who were interred.

1. I assume she collected before her time in the camp, there are a few pre-camp books. When families were interred it was often with little notice and they were often only allowed a single suitcase of personal items.  So she probably left her early collection behind.

The asian immigrant families were not often home owners, but renters. When they were removed from their homes their lanlords typically came in and cleaned them out, selling of the belongings left behind.

2. Im not sure but I dont think her family returned to their old home. But Ill have to dig thru my notes....

On 4/18/2018 at 4:17 PM, miraclemet said:

I'd have to go back and look at what I said last time, but if I remember right it was 4-5x multiplier of what a non-pedigree CGC copy goes for, but 10-12x for military cover subject matter books. 

In your estimation, what is the approximate multiplier for a non-camp Okajima CGC-graded copy?

8 minutes ago, zosocane said:

In your estimation, what is the approximate multiplier for a non-camp Okajima CGC-graded copy?

2-3x, but sometimes more if the markets been dry for a while and you get a couple of Okajima hunters that decide to "settle" on a non camp book.

6 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i imagine a goodly number of us could "settle" on that thun'da!

yeah I have NO idea what the market would do with a non-camp key since NONE of them ever see the light of day. Thunda, the Contact issue, Subby....all post-camp super keys. 

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have a war themed Camp copy with some interesting D-Day announcement history to the date. Probably the last book I will hold onto in my collection.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/history/2014/06/d_day_anniversary_on_june_3_1944_american_radio_broadcasters_announced_that.html

IMG_8576.PNG

And a motorcycle cover!  The date tie in is cool historic bonus

Is there a definitive known cut off date for the camp books?

sorry, I went through about 12 pages of the thread, but couldn't find an answer :eek:

edit: per another website - Sep 6th, 1944 is the release date of the last camp era book, is that correct? (Sensation 35, 4Y?)

Edited by jabats