• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic was advertised on ebay as unrestored, is not, do i return?

109 posts in this topic

I wasnt sure which forum to post this...but...

I just bought a comic on ebay, advertised as unrestored, and the preliminary grading information shows it as trimmed and thus restored. Do I attempt to return the comic and eat the cost of grading, or do I hope I can at least sell it at what I invested in it?

Looks like a SA trimmed label is coming. Grade may otherwise be in the 9.4 range (I can only hope) for a Spiderman 50.

i guess it depends what the market is for the comic at a restored level.

This news comes on my birthday. Happy birthday to me, your comic's worth less... :)

Im not sure how to avoid this in the future, except to choose only the biggest, most revered sellers. But even then you dont know for certain until the grading is done.

I'd start out trying to attempt a return. Depending on the seller it may work out, and they stand behind their sale. I'm assuming this transaction is past the Ebay time limit for returning or filing a claim?

I did the quick turnaround grading, so i think im actually within the ebay time limit. The flip side is i eat more cost on grading, of course.

Yeah, Im thinking i lose more by selling than returning. Id rather not say the seller yet, because i havent given them a chance to respond. If they are jerks, i may change my mind.

I appreciate the responses.

I know there's a market for unrestored comics, a niche for large inventory sellers, so I guess I need to make sure I go with more established sellers of those particular comics. Of course, there's always risk if its not graded.

I respect not mentioning the ebay name.

The only reason I ask this early on is I see you are new here and there have been some known scammers on ebay who do this very thing often.

I hope you weren't victim to these known scammers and it's just an innocent mistake that will be handled professionally.

Good luck!

Since the seller advertised falsely, I would see if they would at least split the cost of grading as well, if not cover it entirely; slabbed books are far more liquid and you will have made his next sale much easier. Also, slabs generally sell for a bit more than unslabbed.

The bottom line is that his mistake shouldn't cost you anything.

A reputable seller should offer a refund, plus the cost of grading when you return the book. Or offer a partial refund and let you keep the book. As this is a pretty high ticket (item SA Spider-man 50)., I'll assume you didn't buy it from a fly by night ebayer with three feedback.

1. Ask at minimum to return it for full refund.

2. Offer to return it in its slabbed state if he'll split the slabbing costs.

3. If he's not interested in splitting slab costs, crack it and return it to him. If he's not willing to split the costs of the slabbing, he should get the book back in the same "state" as he sold it.

1. Ask at minimum to return it for full refund.

2. Offer to return it in its slabbed state if he'll split the slabbing costs.

3. If he's not interested in splitting slab costs, crack it and return it to him. If he's not willing to split the costs of the slabbing, he should get the book back in the same "state" as he sold it.

I've been burned this way too. I drill a hole though the serial and send it back if they don't want to take a partial hit for slabbing. It could be an honest mistake, so give the guy a chance to make things right.