• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP KEITH CONTARINO - CONDOLENCES to his family+ friends

340 posts in this topic

aah didn't know he was euro

Not sure where he lives but he said it wasn't in the states.

He's Aussie. From down unda'

why would anyone let someone hold 26k for them. With the avenues today to move cash quickly for items, it seems very odd.

If it's international, and considering the incredibly high tax rates of some in the EU, it may have avoided losing 40-50% of the principal.

Lets not speculate on incorrect reporting? (shrug) There are many reasons Ben may have desired this arrangement not the least of which being that many buyers and sellers would be hesitant on large out of country deals

why would anyone let someone hold 26k for them. With the avenues today to move cash quickly for items, it seems very odd.

If it's international, and considering the incredibly high tax rates of some in the EU, it may have avoided losing 40-50% of the principal.

Lets not speculate on incorrect reporting? (shrug) There are many reasons Ben may have desired this arrangement not the least of which being that many buyers and sellers would be hesitant on large out of country deals

I'm not speculating, I forwarded one possible result of having someone local hold funds instead of transferring said funds back and forth. I imputed no motive.

I've known Keith for 30+ years

I hope everything eventually turns out okay for all parties involved

I don't know either party involved and I am still a noob on these boards, but reading this thread would make me think twice about dealing with him. If nothing else for the lack of communication. Now granted I am not going to spend nearly that amount $$. I am sure there are a few other noobs that feel the same way.

I do hope that this is worked out.

I'm not speculating, I forwarded one possible result of having someone local hold funds instead of transferring said funds back and forth. I imputed no motive.

Fair enough

There was a reference to a high-grade collection that was found and brokered in part by Keith. One of the books identified was an Amazing Spider-man 24 in CGC 9.6 that sold on Comic Link for $22,755 back in Nov 2009. Assuming there were any other books of that calibre, you could get to $26,000 pretty quickly. They may have had an agreement where Keith would keep most of those funds to buy comics on the OP's behalf, rather than paying taxes/fees to transfer large sums of money internationally every few weeks.

I agree with your skepticism to an extent; it isn't something that I would be willing to do myself but it's not the most unreasonable thing I've ever heard of.

He stole the money. Stole it. Stole it and when the victim tried to contact him he didn't respond. For months.

If I was the OP I'd be in contact with the authorities to see what additional charges could be tacked on for this theft.

HI all

many of you will have heard of or may be even had dealings with Keith over the years. He was one of the good guys in the comic hobby. honest, trustworthy.

unfortunately he's turned and become one of the Dupcak's and Ewert's.

Sad to hear. Keith was a hobby pillar for many years. :(

Yep. I will take your word for it.

:eyeroll:

HI all

many of you will have heard of or may be even had dealings with Keith over the years. He was one of the good guys in the comic hobby. honest, trustworthy.

Don't.

Simply read the other posts in this thread.

HI all

Don't.

Simply read the other posts in this thread.

And how much of the 26,000 has been returned so far? Thats all I'd want to hear if I was the OP. I dont want to hear he was, he is and he will. Gimme back my money :sumo:

That's what I'd be thinking, too.

Doesn't change the fact KC was a well respected hobbyist in the past, as the OPs financial dealings with the man will attest.

He stole the money. Stole it. Stole it and when the victim tried to contact him he didn't respond. For months.

If I was the OP I'd be in contact with the authorities to see what additional charges could be tacked on for this theft.

This is why it`s dangerous to do these kind of money deals from different countries. They are a lot more difficult to prosecute. They have to figure out about different jurisdictions and different country laws, then after maybe figuring that all out then they have to figure out if it`s a civil or criminal case.