• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,036 posts in this topic

Thanks Psithyrus.

Thanks Erndog. That's really interesting feedback. Fits and bursts of one or the other make a lot of sense and I can see some really nice displays in the pinned thread pairing figures with books... I like the idea of buy what you love. That is solid feedback... also, my wife would find it a lot easier to buy me a statue than a book...

hm

Not a problem. I basically got priced out of a lot of things, and when I had to sell some books last year, including one I didn't want to part with, it just crushed me.

I echo what was said about buying what you love and being picky. It's easy to get carried away initially because there's a lot of cool stuff out there, but try to ignore the impulse to buy and wait for those pieces that REALLY blow you away. You'll know it when you see one. On top of being somewhat pricey, it's the space these things take up that is the real premium.

Also, there are so many companies springing up now and getting licenses, whereas a few years ago it was basically all Sideshow, so I expect the statue market to be over saturated very soon. Unlike comics, which you can basically collect thousands of, there are only so many 1/4 scale or bigger statues that any one collector can accumulate, so the more stuff gets made, the more you're going to see tons of sold-out product on the secondary market as collectors make room for the newest hotness. So again, being really picky, buying slowly, and avoiding the "completist" mentality is the best way to go, IMO. You can't lose in the long run if you really love the pieces you buy.

I saw that at SDCC. Gorgeous statue.

This is definitely one of the better sculpted Red Sonja statues. I PO'ed it the first day and hopefully the final product comes close to the prototype shown.

Anyone else feel that Sideshow is slowly pricing themselves out of the market? Given their shoddy QC and inconsistent product history, I may have to start reconsidering ordering their statues at the rate they keep jacking up the price.

I echo what was said about buying what you love and being picky. It's easy to get carried away initially because there's a lot of cool stuff out there, but try to ignore the impulse to buy and wait for those pieces that REALLY blow you away. You'll know it when you see one. On top of being somewhat pricey, it's the space these things take up that is the real premium.

Also, there are so many companies springing up now and getting licenses, whereas a few years ago it was basically all Sideshow, so I expect the statue market to be over saturated very soon. Unlike comics, which you can basically collect thousands of, there are only so many 1/4 scale or bigger statues that any one collector can accumulate, so the more stuff gets made, the more you're going to see tons of sold-out product on the secondary market as collectors make room for the newest hotness. So again, being really picky, buying slowly, and avoiding the "completist" mentality is the best way to go, IMO. You can't lose in the long run if you really love the pieces you buy.

+1

I only got into statues about two years ago and my collection has already exploded to the point where space is now an issue. Now looking back, there are some statues I wish I had reconsidered getting. Also I ended up with some doubles because I just had to chase down the damn exclusives...

As COI mentioned, toss the completist mentality in the trash and get the ones you absolutely must have.

I saw that at SDCC. Gorgeous statue.

This is definitely one of the better sculpted Red Sonja statues. I PO'ed it the first day and hopefully the final product comes close to the prototype shown.

Anyone else feel that Sideshow is slowly pricing themselves out of the market? Given their shoddy QC and inconsistent product history, I may have to start reconsidering ordering their statues at the rate they keep jacking up the price.

No, at least not yet. Your yourself already ordered the Red Sonja at $550, despite reservations, and this is how the collector base in general behaves. Lots of complaining and protesting (not you) without any actual change in buying habits. And when a statue comes out well, anyone who was on the fence jumps right off and gets their order in. Despite their problems, Sideshow still has a captive audience. The price increases and QC problems can't continue indefinitely of course, but even at $500 a PF they seem to keep trucking along.

Congrats to those who finally got their DD PF. A long time coming, and it looks great.

Some of my favorites are the DC Bombshell pieces. :cloud9: I think I have all of them that have been released so far, other than the Holiday Harley (which was almost identical to the original Harley, and still can be found for a pretty inexpensive price).

oC6hj7Mh.jpg

I only got into statues about two years ago and my collection has already exploded to the point where space is now an issue. Now looking back, there are some statues I wish I had reconsidered getting. Also I ended up with some doubles because I just had to chase down the damn exclusives...

As COI mentioned, toss the completist mentality in the trash and get the ones you absolutely must have.

I know the feeling. Part of me would love to put the Justice League Sideshow piece run together, but at this point, the price and space limitations I'll be running into makes that tough.

I'm really kicking myself for not preordering the XM Thanos.

People are getting them already?

Congrats to those who finally got their DD PF. A long time coming, and it looks great.

1zweyih.jpg

:whee:

I felt :o at the size and detail of the statue when I got it out of the box! It fit perfectly on the shelf. The detail is so good that my poor daughter was afraid of it. :D

Congrats Justin, I know you've been waiting a long time for it.

No pics or vids ever do these things justice; they need to be seen in person.

2a8kgpj.jpg

I felt :o at the size and detail of the statue when I got it out of the box! It fit perfectly on the shelf. The detail is so good that my poor daughter was afraid of it. :D

That's an awesome setup. :applause:

+1

Agree completely! I told myself to pick some groupings of statues that would look good together. I'm doing the Justice League. Batgirl is one of my favorites, so I got that one. I'd love to add Canary (I have the Bombshell) and/or Huntress.

I have three of the four TMNTs. I have a Firefly Malcolm Reynolds (my favorite show).

I really wanted that Daredevil, but thought better of it. It is a very nice statue, though! Very cool! I thought the He-Man and the Red Sonja were interesting pieces, too.

I have the DC line-up, and I want to do a Marvel. . . that Spider-Man looks like I may have to do that and maybe some villains.

If they ever did an FF and Surfer/Galactus, I'd be in on those for sure.

2a8kgpj.jpg

Would be a lot cooler if this was vertical , not horizontal. You must use guerrilla glue for them