• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Afterlife with Archie - Monthly Series
3 3

730 posts in this topic

Get them quick. The #5 that I don't believe is shipping any time soon brought $14.99 shipped on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Afterlife-with-Archie-5-variant-pepoy-sexy-cover-9-8-copy-/121269776344?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c3c3defd8

This could finally settle the question. Betty or Veronica ? lol

So, anybody like what's in between the covers?

All of us do. :)

We've been raving about this since since page 1.

Sometimes I'd like to think though, would I enjoy this series just as much if it did not star the Archies? What if it were new characters? Or is the Archie history part of the allure?

At any rate, great series!

I think the story in itself is being told well but for sure the allure comes from all the Archie history. It makes all these scenarios a bit more interesting. This book just has a lot of cool things going for it

- Zombies

- Fantastic art inside and out

- Variant covers that I WANT to collect

- Fun twist on the Archie universe

Sometimes I'd like to think though, would I enjoy this series just as much if it did not star the Archies? What if it were new characters? Or is the Archie history part of the allure?

I just skimmed the last few recent pages it his thread and a couple others and saw nothing but talk about covers and eBay prices. Too bad.

I just skimmed the last few recent pages it his thread and a couple others and saw nothing but talk about covers and eBay prices. Too bad.

That pretty much sums up every thread in the modern section. . (thumbs u

Hang out. We talk about books every now and then.

Edited by Awax

That pretty much sums up every thread in the modern section. . (thumbs u

Hang out. We talk about books every now and then.

True. When you are talking about a book that hasn't hit issue #5, there are only say many things to say about the story. This isn't Superman, Spider-man, or even TWD. We are only about 60 to 70 pages in so far. :)

One of the dirty little secrets around here that we try not to acknowledge is that the ebay prices aren't going to go up unless the stories turn out to be good. Or there's a movie, but that's not going to happen with this series.

The art has been amazing in this series and the story has been very good as well. I think much of the draw is the twist on the Archie universe, but that's fine since everybody on some level has an understanding of the Archie characters. It's accessible to everyone.

I will say I think the variant for #7 is... starting to get just a little goofy.

A good story isn't going to generate high prices. If that were true we'd see more Vertigo titles worth more than nothing. In fact, a good story isn't even good enough to keep a comic in print more often than not.

What generates high prices is hype created before the comic is even released, which provokes flippers to run down to the LCS on Wednesday and buy out ever issue to sell it to other flippers, who will then sell it to other flippers. This drives prices up, for about a month. Then you're back to nothing and the thread dies.

Well, I don't entirely agree. That does happen, sure. Besides needing a good story, a book needs to also catch on with a wider audience in order to stay valuable once the hotness factor wears off.

But books like Saga, Y the Last Man, Bone, Fables and Sandman have value long after initial hype has faded because the stories are good. Afterlife with Archie might be too niche to catch on long term with a wide audience, but the story is good, so it's possible.

That's a handful of titles over the course of two decades. Look in the heating up thread. Look in any thread five pages back. Remember what Stumptown #1 was selling for? Remember what Skullkickers #1 was selling for? This mad dash to make a $5 profit on a modern comic seems to be what this section is all about. And then complaining when you're stuck with 20 copies of a comic you didn't even like in the first place because the hype is over. It happens with every single Image comic these days, which is hilarious.

That's a handful of titles over the course of two decades. Look in the heating up thread. Look in any thread five pages back. Remember what Stumptown #1 was selling for? Remember what Skullkickers #1 was selling for? This mad dash to make a $5 profit on a modern comic seems to be what this section is all about. And then complaining when you're stuck with 20 copies of a comic you didn't even like in the first place because the hype is over. It happens with every single Image comic these days, which is hilarious.
Yes but beware the pitchforks when you point out that the emperor has no clothes.

I prefer making more than $5 per modern book, but will take that if I have to.

The key is to be selective with your buying. Too many people are speculating on every single Image #1 and as a result they end up stuck with them.

This mad dash to make a $5 profit on a modern comic seems to be what this section is all about.

The $5 profit on a modern.

That's my bread & butter....

Been at that game for 25 years.

Good times.

+1

Not for 25 years though, but flipping for even a small profit has led me to not have to pay for a single comic book out of my own pocket for 2+ years now. Sometimes a $5 profit over multiple copies sold keeps you supporting books you love.