• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,915 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2023 at 4:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I imagine cgc right now is saying :flipbait:

Lol jk but welcome of course! I hope you can fund the cgc submissions by selling some raw doubles. ^^

Regardless welcome!

That's the plan... and flipping some hot modern books that I have that I know won't have any long term value. That said, I'm not gonna go crazy slabbing books. Most of my older books are back East at my parents' place and I'll have a better idea once I get back East and inventory those books as well.

On 4/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, DrMitchJ said:

Hey Everyone,

I joined a little while ago, but just recently decided to get involved. 

My name is Mitch and I'm a Comic Book Addict

I've been collecting for decades and really stopped collecting comics cold turkey in 2008, but just like an addict, I started to collect baseball cards. (Quote from Annie Hall ... I believe ... "I was a heroin addict, but now I'm a methadone addict" or something like that ...haha ...) not making fun of substance abuse that is a serious problem, but just find many analogies to that and my hobbyist obsessions. 

Brief History: I lived in NY for my early life, and started working at a newsstand in High School, acquiring much of my pre-direct comics there. During that time I would go to many Phil Seuling's conventions in Manhattan and discovered NYC's Forbidden Planet!!!  Finally, retailers and direct distribution flourished, I found myself buying my weekly comics at Heroes World in Levittown NY ... soon I was working for my pals Jim & Laurie at their excellent Shop, Collector's Comics of Wantagh, NY. 

Anyway, I've been doing this for some time and I'm just recently getting some of my books graded, signed & graded, and spending way too much time reorganizing my collection. I heard about the 2023 contest and decided to enter ... just trying to figure that out before June. 

Happy to be here amongst the obsessed and addicted. :)

Dr. Mitch

Welcome! It's fun, and I'm glad that you've been around to see the ups and downs, and still come away with a positive attitude. I hope you're rewarded! Welcome to the boards!

On 4/10/2023 at 9:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Welcome! It's fun, and I'm glad that you've been around to see the ups and downs, and still come away with a positive attitude. I hope you're rewarded! Welcome to the boards!

Hey Adamantium,  Thanks for the welcome. I've been on other hobby boards (12 years on Beckett) and I've seen the ups and downs there and mostly had fun. I expect that this will also end up being a fun experience.

On 4/11/2023 at 12:54 AM, TheWolverine’sNameIsLogan said:

My name is Jonathan,  and I’m a comicaholic 😁. Just got back into books this last year and had my first batch slabbed and returned this month.  Was expecting a longer wait but had them back in less than a month of mailing them in. Definitely more rewarding than buying already graded copies.  Starting really collecting in ‘90 but sold all my original copies around ‘93.  Been stashing stuff away for the last decade or so.  Thanks for having me and happy to be amongst like minded people. 

Hello Jonathan!! Welcome, you bought during a comfortable time I hope, that is rewarding too. Welcome to the boards :) 

Hey I am new to grading and I am having issue with the website. I can not find the comic I am entering and will not let me move on with the process.  What do I do if it does not find my comic title? They name is Dave (ComicDave8901). I am just starting to the grading process.  Thanks.

Edited by ComicDave8901

On 4/12/2023 at 12:42 PM, ComicDave8901 said:

Hey I am new to grading and I am having issue with the website. I can not find the comic I am entering and will not let me move on with the process.  What do I do if it does not find my comic title? They name is Dave (ComicDave8901). I am just starting to the grading process.  Thanks.

Welcome! @CGC Mike

• Administrator
On 4/12/2023 at 1:42 PM, ComicDave8901 said:

Hi

Click on "I can't find my comic" and enter it manually.

image.png

On 4/15/2023 at 1:59 AM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

Click on "I can't find my comic" and enter it manually.

image.png

I also had this problem last week when doing a submission on a variant. All it was in the end I missed a space or a backslash and it bought the whole list up

On 4/18/2023 at 7:17 AM, Dalehamblin said:

Hi everyone I’m Dale and I just joined the forum today. I’ve collected comics in the 90s but they have long gone. Anyhow my son got into collecting a few years back and also enjoys conventions so it’s gott me back into it also. I had my first book slabbed last year and my son and I really enjoy it. And I’m from East Sussex in England. 

Welcome Dale! I hope the comics treat you right and are easy to find somehow! :headbang: Welcome to the Boards :) 

• Administrator
On 4/27/2023 at 9:10 PM, DarlesCharwin said:

Hello! I'm actually a returning user (I believe hulksmashdave was my display name) from at least 5 or 6 years ago with a new username, job situation, and outlook on life. So, I might as well be new.

I'm looking to return to the hobby and I'm excited about interacting with everyone!

Please send me a PM reminder and I will merge your 2 accounts tomorrow.

On 4/27/2023 at 8:10 PM, DarlesCharwin said:

Hello! I'm actually a returning user (I believe hulksmashdave was my display name) from at least 5 or 6 years ago with a new username, job situation, and outlook on life. So, I might as well be new.

I'm looking to return to the hobby and I'm excited about interacting with everyone!

Welcome Back 🔙😊

On 5/8/2023 at 12:10 PM, Cratus said:

been lurking for years but will introduce myself.  collected wolverine comics back in 90s then stopped until a couple of years ago.   big fan of collecting silver and bronze keys with werewolf by night 32 being my next big purchase.  

:whee: Wolverine subscription around that time myself, but might have been late 80's for me. Welcome, and thanks for taking the time :) to introduce!

On 5/14/2023 at 8:24 PM, goblinjareth said:

Hello hello hello :shy:

I've been collecting for a while, though mostly things of personal interest and value. I only just found out there was a forum side here, and just in time for me to be looking for some particular books that there just isn't much of a market for on ebay. So I'm going to try and hit that post minimum pretty quick! I'm honestly grateful for that because Discogs has been having all kinds of bot/scam issues recently and it's exhausting. Besides comics, I also collect music (vinyl, cassettes, CDs, concert films) and VHSes (Godzilla, anime, and previously mentioned concert films lol). And I'm pretty knowledgeable on the market and value of manga and other imported Japanese media. Just happy to be on a forum where people know what they're talking about in this day and age tbh

Lol there is a lot of information here, welcome and glad to help contribute. Hope that comes as comfort, and keeps you contributing  :)