• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,909 posts in this topic

What is, in reality, a reprint.  Which is fine. Actually reprint collecting represents one of the few remaining unexplored niche genres for cost conscious collectors. But the discount is evaporating rapidly. Used to be 50% was where the discount began. Now, not so much.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:06 AM, Ryan. said:

I wonder if the nice looking 6.5 coming up in the MCS January Prime auction took some of the juice off the ebay 2.5.

Wouldn’t count on it, someone should pick up the 6.5 on eBay before that mcs auction takes place IMO. 

Edited by RedGiant

Word to the wise on Star reprints.  Check the back cover for the Canadian info or coupon, usually Herald out of Toronto.  Unlike Fox, the other major house that had Canadian reprints, you can't obviously tell from the front cover that it's a reprint.  

Interesting about this auction, the winner is a new user to Ebay, or at least a new user handle.  So could be a newbie who doesn't know any better.  And that bidder pumped in a number of max backup bids coming into the home stretch.  On the other hand, it was worth $491 to a board member who knows his stuff (beyond Ryan, who also knows his stuff).

s-l1600.jpg

On 12/27/2021 at 3:44 PM, manetteska said:

130point. 

It sounds like an offer was made of $1/pt and $6500 does sound like a good price — but still a ton of money. 

With what other classic covers have been going for lately seems like a great price. I was thinking 10k seems close, but 8-9k was probably where someone would be a buyer.  It’s arguably one of the most iconic sci-fi covers of all time. I favor the Capt. Flight 11 personally when it comes to Cole sci-fi, and the Blue Bolt 105 after that. I’ve never really been drawn to the Contact, but I know plenty who put the Contact at the top.  Guess we will see what the mcs copy brings, but this sale will likely bring it down much lower than I originally expected. 

On 12/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, Ryan. said:

Superior was a Canadian publisher that had some vague reprinting/distribution rights with certain American publishers, such as Star. In the case of the BB 108 I noticed that the front cover had more green hues than normal and then noticed the CGC label listed Superior as the publisher. This actually made me more interested since these editions are likely rarer and somewhat more interesting to me, and I did put a solid bid in, but I wasn't going to go all out for what is, in my mind, a reprint.

I noticed that too. To be honest, the greens in place of the deep blues bugged me much more than the Canadian/Superior issue.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:01 AM, Ryan. said:

The seller didn't point out that this BB 108 is the Superior edition, and not the Star edition. Hopefully the winning bidder realized what he or she was buying, if that matters.

Blue Bolt 108 CGC 2.5 L.B. Cole Classic Sci-Fi Atomic Age Cover | eBay

In a world where people are willing to fork over $2,000-$3,000 for a modern Batman simply because it’s the ‘rare’ second print newsstand edition, I’m shocked that the Blue Bolt wasn’t pitched as the  super rare reprint variant 🤷‍♂️

On 12/28/2021 at 8:49 PM, RedGiant said:

16618961-4CFF-45A2-987A-FC4CAC9DBB01.thumb.jpeg.c073413140d12f49a3975698475fee34.jpeg

seems like a steal to me - my 2.5 purchase now seems like much less of a deal - had I only known 

The 2.5 could still end up looking like a deal in the long run. I don't know why the 6.5 seller didn't hold out for more. He should have auctioned it at one of the big auction houses.