• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,908 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2022 at 6:03 PM, cgabederp said:

An odd duck for my first post, but I just started getting interested in Golden Age & stumbled across L.B. Cole. Begging for kindness here. 

I came across this one which is totally out of the usual genres that Cole has done. It's probably found in both the war & religious genres. Maybe not as bad as his odd-duck Catman cover, but an interesting one nonetheless. Your thoughts?

LB-ChapAtWar.jpg

All L.B. Cole books are cool, to me.  Welcome to the boards!  (thumbsu

On 1/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, cgabederp said:

An odd duck for my first post, but I just started getting interested in Golden Age & stumbled across L.B. Cole. Begging for kindness here. 

I came across this one which is totally out of the usual genres that Cole has done. It's probably found in both the war & religious genres. Maybe not as bad as his odd-duck Catman cover, but an interesting one nonetheless. Your thoughts?

LB-ChapAtWar.jpg

This book is harder than heck to get, the toughest of the tough Living Bible run.  A rare Cole book to be sure.

I know who's got the 7.0 and it aint going anywhere - so you've got a lock on this one.  A very very nice looking 6.0, btw.  You get a no prize for a great first post to the boards!    :cheers:

On 1/12/2022 at 7:03 PM, cgabederp said:

LB-ChapAtWar.jpg

Very nice! A famous story that I first became aware of back eons ago when I collected stamps.

891F838C-8F76-426A-A741-68AC4DA90BFE.jpeg

On 1/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, cgabederp said:

LB-ChapAtWar.jpg

Very cool and underrated LB Cole cover. Has been overlooked for years because of it’s religious nature. I have always found it interesting and compelling. Just looking at the faces of the 4 men. Resigned to their fate. Bravery, that I could never imagine. True story and this book compelled me to research and read about.

And welcome to the boards and your contribution! 

On 1/12/2022 at 7:03 PM, cgabederp said:

LB-ChapAtWar.jpg

Great book!  I'm thinking of slabbing mine soon, likely a bit lower than yours.  Now go find the other 2 issues!  :)   Welcome to the boards! 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:52 AM, october said:

Someone got a decent deal on the Blue Bolt 105. It was undergraded at a raw 5.0 and went for the same price as the recent graded 4.0. 

The black inks look pretty washed-out on the MCS copy, IMO. Funky production error.  2c 

On 1/13/2022 at 5:43 PM, Point Five said:

The black inks look pretty washed-out on the MCS copy, IMO. Funky production error.  2c 

Whoever won, congrats.  It's a great book, but I tend to put color strike above other variables on most books, so if I were paying $7k, I would have preferred the 4.0 on clink.  But not to take away from this copy, it is still a very cool book.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:09 PM, RedGiant said:

Whoever won, congrats.  It's a great book, but I tend to put color strike above other variables on most books, so if I were paying $7k, I would have preferred the 4.0 on clink.  But not to take away from this copy, it is still a very cool book.

Yep! All this. (thumbsu

On 1/13/2022 at 6:43 PM, Point Five said:

MCS usually shows images that are lighter than the actual book.  I think that must be due to scanner error.  Whenever I buy a book from them I just assume the colors will be a little darker.  So, even with a printing color error, the book might look better in hand than the scan shows.

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 1/13/2022 at 8:20 PM, Point Five said:
On 1/13/2022 at 8:09 PM, RedGiant said:

Yep! All this. (thumbsu

In any event, that's a lot of Blue Bolt 105s in a short amount of time.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:58 PM, cgabederp said:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome -- and the info on this book! I wasn't sure if it really was an LB Cole since I don't know of other religious books he's done (aside from the other 2 issues of Living Bible). Seems that it's the "low-key", underappreciated LB Cole treasure.

The 6.0 I posted isn't mine - I was following it on an auction (though I wish it was mine)! I actually have one that isn't slabbed, inherited from an old pastor friend who collected comics from different periods. It's got a couple tears on the back cover & missing a few pieces of the last story (doesn't affect the story overall). Debating if I should either scan or take photos of the surviving pages to preserve the stories before I consider slabbing it -- even though it will probably fetch maybe between a 2.0-3.0 on CGC, spine ticks small tears, & wrinkles galore.

Don't let the double-bagging fool you. It does present well though.

IMG_0003.JPG

Now I NEED this book. Dang FOMO!