• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,895 posts in this topic

Hey Jay, I couldn't know the real reason, but artistically I suspect it was for the sole point of creating a central based focal point. He tends to do that with many of his covers, so it would be the owl on that one, the dotted shorts on the FA49, the striped pajamas on the christmas one. Maybe he does that to anchor all the chaotic elements swirling around?

Hey Jay, I couldn't know the real reason, but artistically I suspect it was for the sole point of creating a central based focal point. He tends to do that with many of his covers, so it would be the owl on that one, the dotted shorts on the FA49, the striped pajamas on the christmas one. Maybe he does that to anchor all the chaotic elements swirling around?

You know, you explained that quite well! thumbsup2.gif

Great covers, shiverbones!

Another suggestion on the owl is that Cole just liked to draw those feathery textures...the Holiday #6 reminds me of many of his other great "bird covers"...

1229807-power4.jpg

I was able to add two Cole books to the collection this weekend at Heroes Con, and as luck has it, neither are posted in the Cole Library thread. Let's fix that...first up, Contact Comics #3, a cool WWII dogfight cover:

1295358-contact3.jpg

1295358-contact3.jpg.fc79514bc73999ed75a42a662fd3d586.jpg

Next up is a book I've really been on the lookout for over the last year or two. There were two copies at the show and after inspecting the first one without pulling the trigger, I wandered around at several other booths with the thought of rushing back to pick it up in the back of my head. Then...I spotted this copy, and my patience was rewarded. cloud9.gif

1295362-suspense12.jpg

1295362-suspense12.jpg.0c4f7f45160574d98c2a86095bb74660.jpg

Wow! Nice pickups! Did you spot any other decent Cole stuff there? Any nice Blue Bolts?

There were quite a few Cole books there, but I don't think there were any high grade Blue Bolts. However, there were lots and lots of lower grade Cole books of all varieties, many in real low grade. frown.gif

Awesome, sweet pickup mike. What did that beauty set you back?

cheers

gossip.gif Thanks, the Suspense set me back an undisclosed amount. gossip.gif

Almost 3x guide! LIsted as VG, but obvious G+ at best due to sub crease. I have a low grade copy in the mail coming to me. I know its a tough book (Gerber 7?) but I am still shocked by that price.

unsane

I don't know - it's only about 40% over listed grade, and while I agree that G+ is probably more accurate than VG, it does seem to have decent eye-appeal. When the high bid is still only around $100, I think you find alot of bidders who don't worry about what the actual multiple is. When it comes to a book I've been looking a long time for, I know I'm much more likely to pay 3-5X guide when guide is only $30-$40 , than I would be if guide were already $100+.

A side note - did you read the sellers rant against countries that circumscribe freedom of speech? I find his examples a bit telling - the dude has issues.

A side note - did you read the sellers rant against countries that circumscribe freedom of speech? I find his examples a bit telling - the dude has issues.

.** IMPORTANT NOTICE : I WILL NO LONGER BE SHIPPING TO ANY COUNTRY WHERE A HUMAN BEING CAN BE PUT IN PRISON FOR MERELY "DENYING THE HALOCAUST" "OR CRITICIZING HOMOSEXUALITY" OR "ANY" OTHER FREE SPEECH ATROCITY...GERMANY..AUSTRIA..FRANCE..ETC. "PLEASE DO NOT BID..CREEPS WHO USE VICTIMHOOD TO VICTIMIZE OTHERS,AINT TOO COOL....CLEAN UP THESE LOSERS..

...I was going to make a smartaleck comment about the "halocaust," but thought better of it...