• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

Almost 3x guide! LIsted as VG, but obvious G+ at best due to sub crease. I have a low grade copy in the mail coming to me. I know its a tough book (Gerber 7?) but I am still shocked by that price.

unsane

I don't know - it's only about 40% over listed grade, and while I agree that G+ is probably more accurate than VG, it does seem to have decent eye-appeal. When the high bid is still only around $100, I think you find alot of bidders who don't worry about what the actual multiple is. When it comes to a book I've been looking a long time for, I know I'm much more likely to pay 3-5X guide when guide is only $30-$40 , than I would be if guide were already $100+.

I agree 100%. In fact, I love it when Guide is under $50 on a book I really want, because then I know I can pay $100+ and blow away bidders who are constrained by what a book says. Usually it ends up going for just a bit over guide anyway, unless there's someone else who really is attracted to the book.

I haven't bought an Overstreet in more than 5 years, and haven't opened mine in almost 2. I figure I'll pay what I'm comfortable paying, depending on how cool/scarce/needed the book is to me. All Guide does is keep me from getting books I really want or make me pay too much for books I really don't.

I haven't bought an Overstreet in more than 5 years, and haven't opened mine in almost 2. I figure I'll pay what I'm comfortable paying, depending on how cool/scarce/needed the book is to me. All Guide does is keep me from getting books I really want or make me pay too much for books I really don't.

You're couple years ahead of me. I haven't bought one in 3 years for the same reason.

Almost 3x guide! LIsted as VG, but obvious G+ at best due to sub crease. I have a low grade copy in the mail coming to me. I know its a tough book (Gerber 7?) but I am still shocked by that price.

unsane

I don't know - it's only about 40% over listed grade, and while I agree that G+ is probably more accurate than VG, it does seem to have decent eye-appeal. When the high bid is still only around $100, I think you find alot of bidders who don't worry about what the actual multiple is. When it comes to a book I've been looking a long time for, I know I'm much more likely to pay 3-5X guide when guide is only $30-$40 , than I would be if guide were already $100+.

I agree 100%. In fact, I love it when Guide is under $50 on a book I really want, because then I know I can pay $100+ and blow away bidders who are constrained by what a book says. Usually it ends up going for just a bit over guide anyway, unless there's someone else who really is attracted to the book.

Agree totally, and Zonker and I had a similar discussion going down to Heroes Con trying to decide if it was worth it to lug around the guide. Most dealer's books aren't graded (only priced), and unless you find a missing coupon or other defect the dealer missed, you're not going to get him to lower his price b/c you disagree with his grade.

For GA books, it's not like there are 2-3 copies of a given book in a given grade available at any one time anyway, and for many books, only a couple of copies in the grade range you're looking for are going to come on the market in any one year. frown.gif

The Indian Warriors is a reprint, so the demand is far less. The cover is still really nice though.

Yeah, I know. I have one of the Star originals as well. Still nice to find a golden age book that nice for so cheap.

I just snagged a copy of this one off of ebay cheap! Can't wait until it gets here! I love the early Cole stuff...

witnwisdom.jpg

FYI, I found this on this page: Ben Samuels' LB Cole Cover Gallery. There are a bunch of other GA covers on that site, but Ben took the link from the Cole specific page off. This is the only other time, besides the ebay copy I have coming to me, that I've seen this cover. You guys know anything about it?

I just snagged a copy of this one off of ebay cheap! Can't wait until it gets here! I love the early Cole stuff...

witnwisdom.jpg

FYI, I found this on this page: Ben Samuels' LB Cole Cover Gallery. There are a bunch of other GA covers on that site, but Ben took the link from the Cole specific page off. This is the only other time, besides the ebay copy I have coming to me, that I've seen this cover. You guys know anything about it?

Wit and Wisdom digest Vol3 No4. Item description: Great L. B. Cole cover, pin-up art and gags - with sex ads throughout. Odd little men's mag.

It is digest size.

West

Yeah, it should be arriving in about a week (darn media mail...) but I'm wondering if it's more a mag than a comic and maybe THAT'S why it's not in overstreet. I'm campaigning for a listing, dammit! laugh.gif