• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

Also, there's Toytown Comics # 1 but the GCD has no scan so I can't confirm if it's indeed a Cole cover....

This book?

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=219513

1275233-ToyTown%2301a.jpg

I indexed and (I think) scanned that one for GCD. Outrageously crazy story. I'm sure that the cover is Cole, but I think that he only drew part of the story because the artwork sputters out.

Jack

I indexed and (I think) scanned that one for GCD. Outrageously crazy story. I'm sure that the cover is Cole, but I think that he only drew part of the story because the artwork sputters out.

Looks like Cole to me. Has a "Taffy 1" flavor to it in the characters.

I just looked too and you're right, my guess is probably too high. There's still a handful of obscure titles missing in the library thread though...Terrific Comics and Patches come to mind.

Yeah the most glaring missing title is Terrific # 3 and # 6.

Also, there's Toytown Comics # 1 but the GCD has no scan so I can't confirm if it's indeed a Cole cover.

Same for Teen-Age Talk # 9 which is an IW reprint so it might be a recycled cover.

Inside Crime # 3 (#1) is listed as Cole in the Library thread but it's unsigned. From Fox as well, unlisted, is March of Crime # 7 (#1) and it does have the same look as the Inside Crime book.

If we count the 2 Terrific and the March of Crime as Cole cover, we have documented an exact 380 covers.

Toytown is LB Cole. Here's the citation from GCD: Art credit is from Gerber and The Official Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, 30th Edition.

Toytown is LB Cole. Here's the citation from GCD: Art credit is from Gerber and The Official Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, 30th Edition.

HAW -- typical of me. Double referenced.

Jack

Jack

makepoint.gif Don't ever doubt yourself again!

flowerred.gif

... Don't ever doubt yourself again!

I'm not sure whether I will

Jack

(but I might)

Bertie Bat -- amazing that they got away with it, but I suppose it's a parody rather than a copy. I suppose a minor publisher like "Swappers Quarterly and Almanac" (in the Orbit/ Patches family) was beneath DC's notice.

The story is bizarre -- I wrote a long review of it for a comic-book www group while I was indexing it. Here's a scan of the splash page of Chapter 1. Notice how all of the "potato bugs" look different, and there's Bertie Bat lurking in the background.

1275233-ToyTown1p1.jpg

Here's the last paragraph of my review:

"Wow, none of the moralistic tales that we’ve grown accustomed to from the comic books and cartoons of the 1950s! The characters are almost thoroughly unlikable, except for poor, henpecked Tubby and poor, insecure Bertie. The dishonest and lazy prosper through no efforts of their own. No one learns a lesson and reforms. The characters are as violent as Itchy and Scratchy, with characters clubbed over the head with a full panel “Whango!” complete with a star and Saturn. Others are tortured, kicked, smacked in the chin with a telescope, knocked through a wall, nearly drowned and about to be boiled alive. This is not a comic book to read your kid for a bedtime story! I wonder whether Wertham and the gang saw this one."

Jack

Any way you could post the complete story and/or your full review? I would love to read both...

The story is bizarre -- I wrote a long review of it for a comic-book www group while I was indexing it. Here's a scan of the splash page of Chapter 1. Notice how all of the "potato bugs" look different, and there's Bertie Bat lurking in the background.

1275233-ToyTown1p1.jpg

Any way you could post the complete story and/or your full review? I would love to read both...

Here's the review. I apologize that I can't provide more scans -- the book is in a storage shed 15 mi away and I'd be lucky to find it in less than an hour, and my old SCSI scanner doesn't work with my new USB computer!

Jack

Toytown Comics

(Cover title Toy Town Comics)

Swappers Quarterly and Almanac

February 1945

There is no date on the book; the date is from Gerber, Vol. 2. Art credit is from Gerber and Overstreet, 30th Edition. The indicia give the publisher as Swappers Quarterly and Almanac; Gerber gives Toytown Publ./Orbit Publ.; Overstreet gives Toytown/Orbit Publ./B. Antin/Swapper Quarterly. The parent company is usually called Orbit. I think that some books were also published under the names Our Publications, Patches Publications, Rural Home, etc. I gather that publishing as a group of “loosely connected” entities was standard operating procedure for reasons of swapping paper supply during wartime shortages, and so that parts of the company could go bankrupt without dragging down the rest.

The book was probably edited by (Ms.) Rae Herman [pseudonym Ray Herman], apparently a colorful character in comic-book history.

The book was produced by the L. B. Cole’s studio, possibly with contributions from anyone available to meet a deadline. The cover shows Mertie Mouse, slingshot in hand, being chased by other characters with lumps on their heads. The cover artwork is certainly by L. B. Cole, although unsigned. He most likely inked the cover, and the vibrant colors might be his work as well.

The cover design demonstrates a lot of manic energy and motion, with all of the characters save one rushing toward the lower right corner, guided by garish blue and yellow perspective lines. On the right, one stationary character in somber black and dark red peeks around the spine, looking directly at the reader. His pointy-eared cowl and mask with a long, scalloped cape look very familiar.

Chapter 1. The Potato Bug Invasion

Mertie Mouse loses his apartment and girl friend. He meets Bertie Bat. Potato bugs attack the town. The plot is fairly surreal, with a mob of anthropomorphic potato bugs attacking Mertie’s bag of potato chips. The writer tosses in several odd subplots involving Mertie’s henpecked, naive landlord, Tubby, and his domineering wife, as well as Mertie’s girlfriend and her violent father, rumors of a mysterious and feared despot called Storm King. Lurking around the edge of the story is the unidentified Batman character shown on the cover. The characters are mostly cynical and disagreeable, with the possible exception of the Batman character, who is lonely in a petulant, “Casper the Friendly Ghost” way. Typical dialog: Gertie’s dad (looks like a rat), holding up Bertie by the scruff of his neck, asks, “Yong man – do you intend to marry by dotter?” Bertie replies, “Well --- since you put it that way!” [next panel, speaking behind his hand in a stage whisper] “What’s in it fer me?” Gertie sobs as dad kicks Mertie out the door!

The art is still most likely by L. B. Cole.

Chapter 2. Mertie Becomes Mayor

Mertie is arrested, then appointed mayor by the town council so that he must tell the Storm King that the town cannot pay its taxes. More surreal plot, more cynical funny animals.

Chapter 3. The River of Death

On his way to the Storm King’s castle, Mertie is joined by Tubby (his ex-landlord). They meet Christopher Q. Catt, who plans to eat Mertie. Tubby builds a raft to cross a river. Christopher pushes Mertie and Tubby into the river. Man, these are a bunch of mean funny animals!

The splash panel is signed HC. The artwork is probably L. B. Cole layouts with Hal Chambers finishes from Chapter 3 on.

Chapter 4. Terror from the Skies

Bertie Bat rescues Mertie and Tubby from alligators in the river. Christopher takes credit, then sends a message to Vincent Vulture. Vincent carries Mertie away. When Tubby heads out to save him, Christopher threatens him with a gun but is knocked out by Bertie Bat.

Time out for a two-page text story with half-page illustration, probably by Cole, to satisfy postal regulations.

Mertie Mouse Cries Wolf

Mertie heads for Florabel’s house expecting, “not without reason, that he and Florabel would have a cozy evening together.” A crowd of moochers is gathered. Mertie isn’t exactly concerned about Florabel’s affections, but rather wonders, “if things keep up like this Florabel may find another boy friend. Then where will I go nights? [!] There isn’t another girl in town who will loan me money.” Mertie fakes a robbery at Florabel’s then runs out when a real robber arrives. Florabel captures the robber and punches out Mertie.

Chapter 5. The Forest Ruler

Bertie Bat rescues Mertie from Vincent Vulture. They continue together to the Storm King’s castle. Freddie Fox promises the Ruler of the Forest (a Cowardly Lion look-alike) a new set of teeth in exchange for putting out a wanted poster for Mertie and Bertie, who are soon arrested.

Chapter 6. The Dungeon of Doom

The Ruler of the Forest sentences Mertie and Bertie to the Dungeon of Doom. Mertie persuades the monster of the dungeon, an elephant, to break him and Bertie out of the castle. Tubby reaches the Storm King’s castle and is locked in a trunk by Christopher.

Chapter 7. The Storm King’s Castle

Mertie and Bertie reach the Storm King’s castle where Christopher Q. Catt and Freddie Fox beat them up and lock them in a torture chamber. The torture scene surprisingly brutal for a funny-animal book! Mertie is stretched on a rack and Bertie is about to be closed in an iron maiden. Christopher and Freddie reveal that they are the “Storm King”, predicting rather than causing storms. The Ruler of the Forest beats up Christopher, Freddie and their gorilla Horrible Harold. Horrible Harold is a hoot! He comes running out like Magilla Gorilla, yelling “Coming Boss!” when called by Christopher. One panel later he gets the snot punched out of him by a smirking Ruler of the Forest, who’s very mean when he’s mad! That’s his entire scene! Mertie, Bertie and Tubby return home as heroes. The dialog in the last two panels is amazing. Lonely Bertie says, “Now that you’re famous, Mertie – can I still be your pal?” Mertie replies, “Sure! My first act as mayor will be to appoint you treasurer! You’ll handle all the cash!” [next panel, addressing the reader] “What a racket this will be! Who said it doesn’t pay to be a stinker?’

Wow, none of the moralistic tales that we’ve grown accustomed to from the comic books and cartoons of the 1950s! The characters are almost thoroughly unlikable, except for poor, henpecked Tubby and poor, insecure Bertie. The dishonest and lazy prosper through no efforts of their own. No one learns a lesson and reforms. The characters are as violent as Itchy and Scratchy, with characters clubbed over the head with a full panel “Whango!” complete with a star and Saturn. Others are tortured, kicked, smacked in the chin with a telescope, knocked through a wall, nearly drowned and about to be boiled alive. This is not a comic book to read your kid for a bedtime story! I wonder whether Wertham and the gang saw this one.

The book was probably edited by (Ms.) Rae Herman [pseudonym Ray Herman], apparently a colorful character in comic-book history.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif That person sounds familiar as a Ray Hermann was listed as editor of two of the recent Love books from Our Publishing I posted in the Month thread. Cool thumbsup2.gif

My latest addition fresh in off of an eBay win. I was really excited until I saw a few color touch hits on the spine and upper right corner. Oh well.

I paid $60 for it and I am trying to negotiate a partial refund. What do you guys think is fair $20? It's still a really nice copy and I want to keep it.

STT10.jpg

What would you pay for that book in Good condition? $55? $40? Whatever that number is, that's probably a solid amount to pay for a restored copy in nice condition with slight resto. It's a rare enough book that I think paying any less than Good is too steep a discount to ask for.

What would you pay for that book in Good condition? $55? $40? Whatever that number is, that's probably a solid amount to pay for a restored copy in nice condition with slight resto. It's a rare enough book that I think paying any less than Good is too steep a discount to ask for.

Good guide is only $35, so I doubt I would go that high. I think $40 would be fair for this copy though.