• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

Nice books LB was truly the king of the covers his art could attract anyone to it.His work no matter what the subject was draws you in with his color use and design from romance to science maybe that's why the demand for his work will never fade.

Nice books LB was truly the king of the covers his art could attract anyone to it.His work no matter what the subject was draws you in with his color use and design from romance to science maybe that's why the demand for his work will never fade.

+1!

The colors on that Top Love #3 are so cool. And the purple pool on a boat cover of Top Love #5 is key!!!

Just added this one to the Top Love collection last night, only a VG but I'll take it. Love the curvy blonde:

691746699_o.jpg

And this one is a bit beaten up, but still looks like it will present well. LB used the fire / shadow dance thing a few times:

295229.jpg

I've also got a few more from a boardie en rte! I'll wait a bit to post those, but 1 is an oldie... hm

And so, my addiction continues!!! These 2 are en rte as I type. I'm super excited about this cover, one I wasn't sure I'd ever find a nice copy that I could afford but this one fit the bill: TERRIFIC COMICS #3!

terrific3.jpg

I wasn't planning on finding this but when the opportunity to snag (by my estimates) LB Cole's 2nd published comic book cover I had to snag it. Here's the top 10 as posted by me here once before (I have the ones in bold):

1) Four Favorites #13 2/1944

2) Terrific Comics #3 5/1944

3) Power Comics #1 6/1944

3) Suspense Comics #4 6/1944

4) Contact Comics #1 7/1944

5) Power Comics #3 8/1944

6) Suspense Comics #5 9/1944

6) Catman Comics #25 9/1944

6) Contact Comics #2 9/1944

6) Power Comics #4 9/1944

And just because it was there, I got this too. Sure it's a Kamen cover but LB Cole did a story in here. If the GCD doesn't have this one I may crack it just to see. I bet it's there tho....

eq.jpg

Edited by pmpknface

Great pickups Jamie! You can't go wrong with Jack Kamen either! Are they the books you picked up in Boston?

Those were from the boards actually! Here were my Boston Con pickups:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6916638#Post6916638

Now if I can just score my GAG #6 shark cover I'll have that run. I actually think I owe the group shot thread a pic or two...

Great pickups Jamie! You can't go wrong with Jack Kamen either! Are they the books you picked up in Boston?

Those were from the boards actually! Here were my Boston Con pickups:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6916638#Post6916638

Now if I can just score my GAG #6 shark cover I'll have that run. I actually think I owe the group shot thread a pic or two...

Nice and congrats on the completion of the run!

+1!

The colors on that Top Love #3 are so cool. And the purple pool on a boat cover of Top Love #5 is key!!!

Just added this one to the Top Love collection last night, only a VG but I'll take it. Love the curvy blonde:

691746699_o.jpg

Doesn't he have another cover that is a swipe of this one (or this one is a swipe of that one)? hm

There are 2-3 "poolside" covers like this one.

Then there's this one:

6e6845c5-5248-4ec2-ab44-3dbddccb3c31.jpg

Even I would get those 3 confused!

It's this one I was thinking of. The guy seems to be staring right at ... her cigarette! :D

HA! True. I'll have to take a pic of all 3 when the last one comes in. I think I've posted about it before how Cole had a few covers that were similar. Along with the above example there the 2 spider covers.

I always thought this one:

784161.jpg

was similar to, but took a back back door to this one:

d0f85596-f61f-4014-8fe7-9e2a231cb426.jpg

Awesome shot BB. I'm still in the market for a #105. I have an Eagle #1 but would upgrade it if I could. I wasn't up on the rarity of Gasoline Alley's either. I'm not sure if I've seen a #1 before though! Very cool!

I posted this in the Sept ComicConnect thread, but there was no way I wasn't going to post it here as well. I know I've relaxed on purchases lately, as this thread dropped to page 4! Well, I'll fix that! I finally completed by LB Cole's sci-fi covers, as I have a Contact 12 and a Captain Flight 11, Captain Aero 25, and now I'll have in my greedy hands a Captain Aero 26!!!

cap19.125a.jpg

I posted this in the Sept ComicConnect thread, but there was no way I wasn't going to post it here as well. I know I've relaxed on purchases lately, as this thread dropped to page 4! Well, I'll fix that! I finally completed by LB Cole's sci-fi covers, as I have a Contact 12 and a Captain Flight 11, Captain Aero 25, and now I'll have in my greedy hands a Captain Aero 26!!!

cap19.125a.jpg

Very nice! :applause:

cap19.125a.jpg

lol Jamie!

I was bidding on that book as well, but you beat me by a long shot.

Congrats! I'm so glad it went to you. :applause: