• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

Thanks Sqeggs!

Ok, this thread dropped to page 3 which means I'm slacking. However since it's Christmas-time I thought I'd fill in a few holes...

Holiday Comics No.6 - Some spine splits, but presents well.

$T2eC16J,!)0E9s37F,T(BQNSsOwd4w~~60_57.JPG

Holiday Comics No.8 - One more Cole x-mas cover!

$(KGrHqJ,!ooFC72n+wIRBRtSK4v9dw~~60_57.JPG

Fun Comics No.12 - The last one of this run I needed. Not that common.

ds-04-072.jpg

BUT WAIT! There's MORE!!!

Manhunt #1 - Not an LB Cole cover, but he did an interior story. Plus, it is a killer cover...

$_57.JPG

School Day Romances #1 - I don't like the Marvel-like chipping, but it's been a pain to locate, so I pulled the trigger on it.

u304-096_1.jpg

True To Life Romances #21 - Not the best cover, but I still like it. I'd been waiting for a copy I liked for a while and got this one on a discount:

!Bi+LwFgBGk~$(KGrHqYOKigEsm+VcgY7BLRmb,Z5K!~~_3.JPG

Terrors of the Jungle #4 - Last but NOT least, is this beauty! No major defects, so I think I snagged it for a song off the bay this am.

$_57.JPG

"Santa Cover" thread
It's the right time of year for it. (thumbs u

Thanks! Happy Holidays to you too!

I did have the Frisky Animals on the left and my More Fun 9 on the right, but when the Holiday Comics #8 arrived I had to put that up.

ALSO... I wanted to share this here as well. In case you guys didn't know Fantagraphics is putting an LB Cole book out in 2014. I guess they are looking for more scans to put in the book. I have over half of the books that they are looking for, but I don't have a scanner (yet) and I know many of you out there have higher graded books than me too. Here's an email from the editor.

This email is going out first as a profound "Thank you" and an update to everyone who has helped in our search for L.B. Cole scans. The book is shaping up beautifully and it will be something fantastic to hold in your hands. I can't wait to share it with you.

Secondly, I'm writing to ask about a list of covers we'd really like to feature at larger-than-full size but will be unable to do so unless we can obtain extra-high-res scans. And we're down to the wire now.

So please let me know if you can help with any of the books below. I urge you to forward this request to anyone you know who might be able to help.

Normally, the specs we need are:

300 ppi

100%

RGB

.tif

But this book is oversize and the designer has asked for these specific covers at:

405 ppi

100%

RGB

.tif

which would make him "enormously ecstatic."

I know some people prefer jpgs and in a pinch we'll go with a jpg (we convert it to tif here anyway) but the problem is that jpgs, by design, lose image detail unless they use zero compression. Sometimes we can get away with that and sometimes not. (Print is much more demanding than computer screens.) But an LZW compressed .tif loses no detail at all. That, of course, is why .tifs generally have larger file sizes.

If you have something that is, for some reason, a multiple of those specs (for example, 300 ppi at 135% or better), that's perfectly OK. If in doubt on any of this, send me an email.

If what you have is too large to email, that's not a problem. We have an ftp site for you to upload to, you can use a Google shared folder and give me download permission, you can use Dropbox, or you can use any of the other free large-file sharing sites. (see below). Dropbox and shared Google folders have been the most glitch-free.

If you'd rather we scan from a comic you're willing to entrust to us, we will pay FedEX and insurance costs both ways.

Another point we'd like you to consider is that we greatly prefer you to scan the comic "bare." One or two scans have been submitted that were made with the comic still in mylar. That creates reflections and distortions that all too often makes the scan unusable. If the comic is in a GCD protector, we're not asking you to remove it, though, so do the best you can with those.

Thanks again. The response has been wonderful and I'm grateful for all you've done. We're just trying to make the book that much more stunning. It's unlikely there will ever be a second chance for Cole's remarkable art to be presented like this. All contributors will be acknowledged in the credits, so if you have already contributed a scan or two, please make sure I have your name if you want to be thanked publicly.

Here's the list of "special" covers that we're seeking in higher-res versions:

Bingo 1

Catman 31

Contact 12

Contact 6

Criminals On the Run v4 #1

Criminals On the Run v4 #4

Criminals on the Run v4 #7 (Fish-in-the-Face!)

Dime Comics 1

Eagle Comics 1

Frisky Fables 45

Great Comics 1

Holiday Comics 2

Indian Warriors 8

Jeep Comics 3

KrazyLife 1

Manhunt 4

Mask 1

Mask 2

Patches 1

Power Comics 3

Power Comics 4

Suspense Comics 8, 9, 10, 11

Target v10 #3

Yours in comics,

Mike Catron

Fantagraphics

mikec...@fantagraphics.com

(206) 524-1967 x223

Finally! I can now join this club. Here is my first LB Cole cover and it fits perfectly in my collection of robot/sci-fi covers.

flight11.jpg

:golfclap: Love it!

Congrats! I know you've been waiting for that one for some time. Looks like it was worth the wait! WOOHOO!

Finally! I can now join this club. Here is my first LB Cole cover and it fits perfectly in my collection of robot/sci-fi covers.

flight11.jpg

:golfclap: Love it!

Not just a Cole, but classic Cole. :applause:

One of his best...and a great way to start. :cloud9: