• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

You're late :sumo:

Costco and Target had their Christmas sections up the day after Labor Day. :kidaround:

Tis' the season.

Hollidaycomics5_zps614e475d.jpg

The aerial view of the little snow-draped town is marvelous!

I know! I have Holiday Comics #1 (Santa cover) and a killer copy of Fun Comics #9 (oversized book, Santa cover) already up on display. I hope this new purchase shows up soon!

Brenmark: That is a cool LB Cole cover, but I'm holding out for a copy of the Star printing that has the red / blue / yellow cover instead of the AP pink one.

EDIT: Oh - Frisky Animals #52 is another cool one! ;)

Edited by pmpknface

How many Cole covers are there?

Schomburg was prolific as was Kirby.

That's going to be a task I don't have enough time for but with a quick & dirty look @ the GCD (which has issues to restrict U.S. only and non-reprints), a back of the enveloppe shows:

Cole anywhere from 280 to 330 so let's tag it @ about 300 covers

Schomburg falls @ about 480 covers

I have to assume Kirby is greater than that overall for career but for GA, it's about 350 up to 1959 (though I have less confidence in this number BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF ROMANCE covers in that batch). It's about 150 up to 1949 only.

Edited by Scrooge

Back in this thread about 90 pages ago, I had been attempting to cataolg all of LB Cole's covers. At last count I was at about 425 I think, and 95% or more were in the GA. If I had to guess who had more Schomburg was my 1st guess to top him. Did Kirby have more in the GA? Overall I'm sure he did, but GA alone how many did he have?

Thanks, Scrooge.

Schomburg is still under-counted on GCD (and Overstreet) for the post-war work he did for Standard. It wouldn't surprise me to find 80 - 100 more covers to add to the total.

That's going to be a task I don't have enough time for but with a quick & dirty look @ the GCD (which has issues to restrict U.S. only and non-reprints), a back of the enveloppe shows:

I have to assume Kirby is greater than that overall for career but for GA, it's about 350 up to 1959 (though I have less confidence in this number BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF ROMANCE covers in that batch). It's about 150 up to 1949 only.

Thanks, Scrooge.

Schomburg is still under-counted on GCD (and Overstreet) for the post-war work he did for Standard. It wouldn't surprise me to find 80 - 100 more covers to add to the total.

It's possible that an Iger House (Iger/Eisner) artist could be in top 5 or 10 most covers in the GA. Fiction House, Superior, and Ajax/Farrell constitute a lot of books. It would be impossible to prove, though, based on the lack of documentation.

Edited by *paull*

Not the biggest book out there but I've been searching for this one for a long time and finally snagged it yesterday. No was I was going to miss this after letting a few Catman books sliip through my fingers! This is the only copy I've seen anywhere so I'm glad to have it on it's way! (pic is from seller's ebay listing, hence the panel shot too)

$_57.JPG

Not the biggest book out there but I've been searching for this one for a long time and finally snagged it yesterday. No was I was going to miss this after letting a few Catman books sliip through my fingers! This is the only copy I've seen anywhere so I'm glad to have it on it's way! (pic is from seller's ebay listing, hence the panel shot too)

$_57.JPG

Nice find!