• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

To back up your point, Captain America: The First Avengers spent exactly one week at #1 before it was knocked out of the top spot by that giant of cinematic brilliance: Cowboys and Aliens. lol Yet, everything turned out ok for it in the long run.

Not that I want to disrupt your valiant defense of Ant-Man. Just pointing out...

6XTbHHZ.png

Captain America: The First Avengers has the second lowest revenue ratio of the past 11 movies, only surpassed in less profit by The Incredible Hulk. Where a 2.5 means a movie achieved a level where a studio can claim enough was made to cover all expenses, and have enough left over to be considered proft, Cap1 was a 2.6X.

But as you know, the Avengers jumped the entire franchise forward to new heights, and all movies since have been consistently strong revenue generators. Even a movie like Thor: The Dark World.

I realize Cap didn't set the world on fire but no one called it a bomb. And it had the advantage of massive relative name and fan recognition.

The Ant-Man defense is a reaction to people shocked that it didn't make $100 million in the opening weekend when only 4 Marvel Studios movies achieved that and 2 of those were Avengers flicks...and all 4 featured Iron Man.

Basically, there's the analysis applied to Downey movies and then everything else.

Amazing to me that Ant-Man has done as well as it has.

Yeah -- it's not shock that it didn't make $100 mill.

It's more chagrin that it didn't even hit the $60-$65 mill. projected but rather made less on Saturday last week than on Friday (w/ Thursday evening incl.) and then even less on Sunday.

That type of front-loading isn't good.

Especially given that it was only the # 1 movie 5 of its first 10 days of release, and lost to a holdover no-less. It came in 2nd to Minions last Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

To those of you who think it "has legs," don't be surprised to see it drop to # 3 or 4 next weekend.

And it's not just MI 5 this weekend, but FF the following week that will push it down precipitously.

Further, even Ghost Rider managed to open to $45 million back in 2007 (comparable to Ant-Man, given inflation and no 3D), and -- as critically maligned as it was -- had a smaller % drop 2nd weekend.

It will be interesting to see the Fantastic Four domestic numbers compared to Ant-Man.

Are we finally seeing signs of super-hero movie fatigue at the box office?

Ant-Man's grossed almost $230 million in 10 days.

ANT-MAN! lol

I would have bet you everything I owned if you would have bet me a few years ago that an Ant-Man movie would ever see theaters much less make half that number.

Many of the posts in the movie threads are "told you so" posts

Is this movie profitable - hell yes!

Is there super hero fatigue? Hell no!

I'm not debating that, what I am debating is that in hindsight, this may have not been the best movie for Marvel.

Does it move the universe in a certain direction? Yes however I think once Spiderman was shared by Marvel, the importance of Ant-man has diminished.

I don't see a reason for Ant-man 2, why not make another Hulk movie instead :shrug:

Saw it this afternoon...friggin' fantastic. :applause: Would see again if asked. Wasn't feeling that way about Age of Ultron.

Probably not as good as Iron Man from 2008, but very close. Not sure really. hm

+1.

Spot on to exactly how I felt after seeing the Ant-man movie this evening. Extremely well done movie.

I put it up there with Iron Man myself, and not sure which movie I prefer either.

Many of the posts in the movie threads are "told you so" posts

Is this movie profitable - hell yes!

Is there super hero fatigue? Hell no!

I'm not debating that, what I am debating is that in hindsight, this may have not been the best movie for Marvel.

Does it move the universe in a certain direction? Yes however I think once Spiderman was shared by Marvel, the importance of Ant-man has diminished.

I don't see a reason for Ant-man 2, why not make another Hulk movie instead :shrug:

Ant-man 2 introduced a whole new "universe" that could be explored in the Microverse and to be honest I loved the first one so much that a second one would be great to see.

And as to another Hulk movie, I am all for it because I would love to see a really well done Hulk movie. There are elements of the 1st Hulk I loved, and elements of the second, but so far the Hulk movies are rather average. I think most of the reasons we have yet to see a fantastic Hulk film is the movie makers have no idea how to do a Hulk movie.

For example: in The Incredible Hulk, the scene with the army fighting the Hulk on the university campus:The Hulk defeats the sonic cannons bombarding him with sound waves by reaching back behind him and throwing a piece of metal at a cannon. That just isn't the Hulk. Instead he should get angry, which increases his strength, and in an act of sheer will and a demonstration of his power he rises up, standing on his feet as the sound cannons bombard him, and he raises his mighty arms and smash them to the ground making a powerful shock wave that topples and destroys the cannons.

That is the Hulk. I have not seen that yet.

Finding it hard to believe that I liked Ant-Man as much as I did, I went to see it again this evening. An 8:30 show in standard (not 3D) format.

Lo and behold, I still liked it. Without regret, and I say that being someone who hasn't been as fond of some of the MCU offerings as others may be. Is it lightweight? YES. Is that so wrong? NO. After AOU, which I despised, it's a breath of fresh air.

Interesting thing about the showing: there were considerably more people in attendance than there were for opening night 7:00 PM show I was at. I wouldn't be surprised if the movie resonates as well (if not better) with non-fans than comic fans. It seems like the kind of movie that will play well in flyover country. Not saying that it's going to have amazing legs, but based on the considerable Sunday night crowd that I saw it with (many of whom applauded at the end) it might have more than people expect. I wouldn't be shocked at @165-170M domestic by the time it's all said and done.

Yeah, it didn't open to 90M.......Disney never expected it to, either. Ant-Man will never be a BO world beater, but I think it'll end up doing OK business overall.

I always wondered why a sound cannon powerful enough to batter the Hulk couldn't even move one blade of grass on the lawn he was standing on....

If anything, on average it was the earlier Marvel movies that had the higher weekly box office reductions when compared to recent movies. Not the other way around.

I'd say statistically fatigue has not set in on superhero movies.

I will be SHOCKED if FF cracks $50 million first weekend.

I agree.

I have a funny feeling it will barely do 100 million domestic.

I`m looking at maybe 120 million tops domestic now.

lieutenant-dan-ice-cream_1134.gif

Because Marvel/Disney doesn't get to keep the distribution money off another Hulk movie, but does get to keep the distribution money on another Ant Man movie.

So unless someone has an idea for a movie that'll make more than double what Ant Man 2 would make, don't expect to see a 2nd Hulk movie anytime soon. Because it's all about money for Marvel/Disney & virtually ANY Marvel/Disney produced/distributed movie will generate more revenue than a Marvel/Disney produced movie that they have to give away the distribution money to someone else.

If anything, on average it was the earlier Marvel movies that had the higher weekly box office reductions when compared to recent movies. Not the other way around.

It depends who the heroes are.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will do over 1 BILLION worldwide,

while Ms.Marvel,Black Panther and Inhumans will do a little better than Ant-Man.

What I look for is what was popular in sales with comics between 1960s and early 1990s.

What ever they ranked in sales then, usually is a barometer for their current box office now,

Avengers

Spider-Man

X-Men

Batman

Superman

dominated sales between 1960s and early 1990s.

Ant-Man never even had his own long lasting title during that period.

So it shouldn`t be no surprise about the low box office. The same thing will happen to most non-Batman/Superman DC movies.

Remember folks Ant-Man got a good rating at Rotten Tomatoes, and still the box office wasn`t gangbusters for it.

Good luck Fantastic Four.

while Ms.Marvel,Black Panther and Inhumans will do a little better than Ant-Man.

What I look for is what was popular in sales with comics between 1960s and early 1990s.

What ever they ranked in sales then, usually is a barometer for their current box office now,

Avengers

Spider-Man

X-Men

Batman

Superman

So it shouldn`t be no surprise about the low box office. The same thing will happen to most non-Batman/Superman DC movies.

Remember folks Ant-Man got a good rating at Rotten Tomatoes, and still the box office wasn`t gangbusters for it.

I don't think what you pointed out has anything to do with 'comic book movie fatigue'. That's more brand recognition, along with studios assigning a creative team that may not be as experienced at executing in a way audiences find the content worth watching.

It would be like someone coming out with a HEY BOSS comic book movie (an unauthorized Bruce Springsteen biography that was just atrocious), giving it to a one-time director, and investing little to no money into appropriate marketing. Then screaming 'comic book movie fatigue' when it fails. The details don't add up to the assumed root cause.

Avengers

Spider-Man

X-Men

Batman

Superman

Spider-man and Batman remained fairly steady, but....

The Avengers did not dominate sales between the 60's and the 90's... even in the 60's, it lagged behind both the FF and Thor every year. And it's overall sales numbers through the 70's and even into the gravy year 90's is pretty weak.

X-Men were a sales flop up until the early 80's, and really didn't explode in sales until the late 80's early 90's.

Superman dominated the 60's, but was on a downward slope after that until the Death of Superman scam in the early 90's.

And as far as longevity of a comic having anything to do with how big a movie is, Archie would have the biggest grossing movie of all time if that was true.

Agreed -- by that rubric there's no way that Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, or even Blade would have done as well as they did.

In the end, quality trumps "brand recognition" -- just ask the folks involved with Batman & Robin or Superman Returns.

Ditto, your premise is incorrect: in 1968 Fantastic Four was the best-selling Marvel outside of Amazing Spider-Man, and both books were outsold by Tarzan.

In 1973, FF was still 2nd to ASM among Marvels, and Thor, Iron Man & Hulk all out-sold Avengers.