• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Just saw Ant-Man tonight - by far one of the more enjoyable Marvel movies they have put out. Every one of the character changes for Pym seemed perfect, thank god they can successfully distance themselves what is often convoluted character histories and make them a little more relatable. Sure we got yet another bad-guy-business man, but didn't mind this one so much.

This has cleansed my brain of the stain left by Avengers 2!! :D

Agreed -- by that rubric there's no way that Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, or even Blade would have done as well as they did.

In the end, quality trumps "brand recognition" -- just ask the folks involved with Batman & Robin or Superman Returns.

Ditto, your premise is incorrect: in 1968 Fantastic Four was the best-selling Marvel outside of Amazing Spider-Man, and both books were outsold by Tarzan.

In 1973, FF was still 2nd to ASM among Marvels, and Thor, Iron Man & Hulk all out-sold Avengers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tarzan next year does bigger box office than Fantastic Four does this year.

Tarzan-cast.jpg

Are we finally seeing signs of super-hero movie fatigue at the box office?

If anything, on average it was the earlier Marvel movies that had the higher weekly box office reductions when compared to recent movies. Not the other way around.

I'd say statistically fatigue has not set in on superhero movies.

It depends who the heroes are.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will do over 1 BILLION worldwide,

while Ms.Marvel,Black Panther and Inhumans will do a little better than Ant-Man.

What I look for is what was popular in sales with comics between 1960s and early 1990s.

What ever they ranked in sales then, usually is a barometer for their current box office now,

Avengers

Spider-Man

X-Men

Batman

Superman

dominated sales between 1960s and early 1990s.

Ant-Man never even had his own long lasting title during that period.

So it shouldn`t be no surprise about the low box office. The same thing will happen to most non-Batman/Superman DC movies.

Remember folks Ant-Man got a good rating at Rotten Tomatoes, and still the box office wasn`t gangbusters for it.

Good luck Fantastic Four.

Spider-man and Batman remained fairly steady, but....

The Avengers did not dominate sales between the 60's and the 90's... even in the 60's, it lagged behind both the FF and Thor every year. And it's overall sales numbers through the 70's and even into the gravy year 90's is pretty weak.

X-Men were a sales flop up until the early 80's, and really didn't explode in sales until the late 80's early 90's.

Superman dominated the 60's, but was on a downward slope after that until the Death of Superman scam in the early 90's.

And as far as longevity of a comic having anything to do with how big a movie is, Archie would have the biggest grossing movie of all time if that was true.

The major point was Ant-Man was never ever a major comic book seller like Superman,Batman,Avengers,X-men or Spider-Man, so to think Ant-Man would do gangbusters was suspect.

Same thing will happen with Ms.Marvel,Black Panther and Inhumans and all non-Batman/Superman DC movies. They will do around Ant-Man numbers.

GotG was the anomaly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tarzan next year does bigger box office than Fantastic Four does this year.

Tarzan-cast.jpg

lieutenant-dan-ice-cream_1134.gif

The funny thing is I will probably see Fantastic Four before you do.

You`ll probably Red Box it for a $1!

:baiting:

lol

Meanwhile, have your ice cream before it melts...and for the love of God, SMILE!

Tarzan-cast.jpg

lieutenant-dan-ice-cream_1134.gif

The funny thing is I will probably see Fantastic Four before you do.

You`ll probably Red Box it for a $1!

lol

Meanwhile, have your ice cream before it melts...and for the love of God, SMILE!

:)

Are we finally seeing signs of super-hero movie fatigue at the box office?

If anything, on average it was the earlier Marvel movies that had the higher weekly box office reductions when compared to recent movies. Not the other way around.

I'd say statistically fatigue has not set in on superhero movies.

It depends who the heroes are.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will do over 1 BILLION worldwide,

while Ms.Marvel,Black Panther and Inhumans will do a little better than Ant-Man.

What I look for is what was popular in sales with comics between 1960s and early 1990s.

What ever they ranked in sales then, usually is a barometer for their current box office now,

Avengers

Spider-Man

X-Men

Batman

Superman

dominated sales between 1960s and early 1990s.

Ant-Man never even had his own long lasting title during that period.

So it shouldn`t be no surprise about the low box office. The same thing will happen to most non-Batman/Superman DC movies.

Remember folks Ant-Man got a good rating at Rotten Tomatoes, and still the box office wasn`t gangbusters for it.

Good luck Fantastic Four.

Spider-man and Batman remained fairly steady, but....

The Avengers did not dominate sales between the 60's and the 90's... even in the 60's, it lagged behind both the FF and Thor every year. And it's overall sales numbers through the 70's and even into the gravy year 90's is pretty weak.

X-Men were a sales flop up until the early 80's, and really didn't explode in sales until the late 80's early 90's.

Superman dominated the 60's, but was on a downward slope after that until the Death of Superman scam in the early 90's.

And as far as longevity of a comic having anything to do with how big a movie is, Archie would have the biggest grossing movie of all time if that was true.

The major point was Ant-Man was never ever a major comic book seller like Superman,Batman,Avengers,X-men or Spider-Man, so to think Ant-Man would do gangbusters was suspect.

Has nothing to do with SALES, it has to do with EXPOSURE. Ant-Man hasn't been a major player in over 50 years, other than a minor blip or two. The others have been published consistently month after month for at least 40 years. Ant-Man wasn't as KNOWN.

Same thing will happen with Ms.Marvel,Black Panther and Inhumans and all non-Batman/Superman DC movies. They will do around Ant-Man numbers.

As difficult as it is to predict what a movie will do at the box office before it's released, it's darn near impossible to accurately predict what it will do before it's completely CASTED.

You may as well say, "The Royals will win the World Series in 7 games, because they lost it last year in 7 games!"

It could happen, but it's not based upon anything other than a blind blurting.

GotG was the anomaly.

There was a great deal more to the pre-meditated success of that movie than most people realize, and even though it wasn't expected to do as much as it did, Marvel WAS banking on it being a bigger success than most had.

Something to keep in mind for Ant-Man...the movie is in it's 11th day. It will surpass it's quoted budget by about it's 15th day. It still has foreign markets to open.

GOTG surpassed it's budget on it's 10th day, after having that huge opening weekend. It was a surprise hit, and it ran in theaters until October 23rd!

Marvel believes this movie has legs, and word of mouth will keep it in theaters that long.

For the budget it has, it's going to be just fine.

Agreed -- by that rubric there's no way that Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, or even Blade would have done as well as they did.

In the end, quality trumps "brand recognition" -- just ask the folks involved with Batman & Robin or Superman Returns.

Ditto, your premise is incorrect: in 1968 Fantastic Four was the best-selling Marvel outside of Amazing Spider-Man, and both books were outsold by Tarzan.

In 1973, FF was still 2nd to ASM among Marvels, and Thor, Iron Man & Hulk all out-sold Avengers.

Tarzan-cast.jpg

Actually.... you may be right....

Margot Robbie in a leopard skin bikini..... holy sheena.....

I loved the line about whether the stories of an original Antman were true, or were just "propoganda...tales to astonish".

Yeah I loved that line.

I applauded quietly at that, but no one else acknowledged it. lol I was proud.

Word of mouth isn't going to give Ant-Man legs.

The fact that it was # 1 its second week was a fluke due to Pixels bombing. Going into the weekend, Ant-Man was expected to be third, behind Pixels & Minions.

Yes -- it's doing very well relative to its budget -- about as well as The Wolverine (with a similar budget).

But it will drop off very quickly in the coming weeks, as MI 5 takes a lot of its screens this week, and FF siphons more of its demographic audience next week.

The major difference between Ant-Man and Guardians, let alone Avengers, is it's not the type of film folks are going to see more than once, whereas the better Marvel films (even Winter Soldier) were.