• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Ant-Man holding early lead at box office over Pixels.

Seems like Ant-Man has legs.

Ant-Man early lead in second week.

Where is Box Office Mojo getting their numbers?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

It shows the following for Friday:

1 Pixels $9,200,000

2 Ant Man $7,234,000

3 Minions $6,700,000

If Box Office Mojo is correct, Ant Man fell a whopping 68% from the previous Friday. Hopefully it makes up some of that on Saturday and Sunday.

because the previous Friday included $6MM of Thurs night previews. Saturday will be up 50% vs Friday and Sunday will revert to Friday like #'s. that gets you to $26MM for the weekend. Pixels will drop from Friday and then drop again on Sunday. Minions is as likely #2 for the weekend as Pixels.

That makes sense. So, Ant Man might bet #2 2 weeks in a row! For as low as the audience reviews are for Minions (on par with Pixels), that movie is holding up well at the box office.

People have gotta be coming out of Pixels angry as hell for wasting time and money on that piece of dung.

Actually, it appears the reviews from audiences are mixed. Some people love the movie and some people hate the movie. Honestly, that is just about what I would expect from an Adam Sandler movie. Either you like him and his humor or you don't. 59% of audiences so far liked it, which is about standard for an Adam Sandler movie. He must be doing something right; he keeps getting movies made every summer.

Every "Top Ten Worst Things in the World" list should include Adam Sandler slotted in somewhere. Sure, there are worse things than Adam Sandler but not many.

From New Hampshire with love. :whistle:

Where is Box Office Mojo getting their numbers?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

It shows the following for Friday:

1 Pixels $9,200,000

2 Ant Man $7,234,000

3 Minions $6,700,000

If Box Office Mojo is correct, Ant Man fell a whopping 68% from the previous Friday. Hopefully it makes up some of that on Saturday and Sunday.

because the previous Friday included $6MM of Thurs night previews. Saturday will be up 50% vs Friday and Sunday will revert to Friday like #'s. that gets you to $26MM for the weekend. Pixels will drop from Friday and then drop again on Sunday. Minions is as likely #2 for the weekend as Pixels.

That makes sense. So, Ant Man might bet #2 2 weeks in a row! For as low as the audience reviews are for Minions (on par with Pixels), that movie is holding up well at the box office.

Have you seen what the Despicable Me Franchise has done over time?

Despicable Me

Domestic: $251,513,985

Foreign: $291,600,000

Worldwide: $543,113,985

Despicable Me 2

Domestic: $368,061,265

Foreign: $602,700,620

Worldwide: $970,761,885

I am NOT surprised Minions is doing well.

I believe shrinking and entering the quantum realm goes beyond shrinking the space between atoms by adding mass to an electron and converting it to a high-energy muon .

By shrinking down small enough the physical laws we see the universe operating under all disappear - gravity, relativity, time…everything.

Fairly certain that was said, or alluded to, in the movie.

Sounds logical.

People have gotta be coming out of Pixels angry as hell for wasting time and money on that piece of dung.

Actually, it appears the reviews from audiences are mixed. Some people love the movie and some people hate the movie. Honestly, that is just about what I would expect from an Adam Sandler movie. Either you like him and his humor or you don't. 59% of audiences so far liked it, which is about standard for an Adam Sandler movie. He must be doing something right; he keeps getting movies made every summer.

Adam Sandler is a Hollywood mogul.

These numbers are increasing over time.

It's not that Despicable Me2 is a $1BIL movie in the traditional sense. It probably wouldn't be back in the days of Titanic, but nowadays there are more theaters, ticket prices are rising, world's population is growing and marketing is only getting better at targeting demographics.

Where a $1BIL movie used to be a rare thing, it's going to be a common occurrence soon enough.

And if Titanic did as well today as it did back then, it would probably be a $3-4BIL movie today. Just guessing but it would gross much more today than it did back then.

Personally, I see it as a reflection of society. lol

I just got a brilliant idea for a movie-A found footage superhero Pixar horror movie starring ADAM SANDLER! This movie is GOLD, Jerry! GOLD!

These numbers are increasing over time.

It's not that Despicable Me2 is a $1BIL movie in the traditional sense. It probably wouldn't be back in the days of Titanic, but nowadays there are more theaters, ticket prices are rising, world's population is growing and marketing is only getting better at targeting demographics.

Where a $1BIL movie used to be a rare thing, it's going to be a common occurrence soon enough.

And if Titanic did as well today as it did back then, it would probably be a $3-4BIL movie today. Just guessing but it would gross much more today than it did back then.

Personally, I see it as a reflection of society. lol

Yeah....it's weird. A movie making $1B has many, many, many more outlets than mega hit predecessors, like greatly enhanced worldwide distribution, more screens for opening weekends, and marketing that targets demographics in a pretty scientific manner.

Your old school mega hit had LEGS....BIG TIME. A huge movie like Avengers, Jurassic World, Pixar whatever......they're an AFTERTHOUGHT after just a couple of months. The old "war horses" (Star Wars, Sound of Music, Jungle Book, Jaws, Dr. Zhivago, Gone With the Wind) were in theaters for really elongated periods of time, up to a couple of years. Now box office is so front loaded......

But still, not as many people go to the movies nowadays. And there aren't nearly as many movies produced on an annual basis. Not as many studios either, but rather lots of "production companies". And there sure aren't nearly as many theaters as their used to be, especially since the advent of television, just multiplexes with lots of screens.

Just weird to think about how the challenges of producing a hit now are so much different than they were back then. And yeah, Titanic would probably be eating the Avengers and Jurassic World's lunch were it released today. That'd probably be a 2.5 Billion dollar movie.

Finally got to see Ant-Man tonight with the wife. Here is my review:

Ant-Man is an okay flick. The first half of the movie is really, really slow with lots of exposition about how the suit works, who Hank Pym is, what happened to Hank's wife, who Scott Lang is, who Hope is, what the villain's motive is, etc. And the characters spend a lot of time sitting around explaining all this. Once the action began in the second half, the movie was more fun to watch. I thought the scene with Ant-Man versus Falcon was well done and didn't feel forced. I thought the inclusion of Hydra did feel forced and unnecessary. The only cringe worthy moment in the movie for me was when Thomas the Tank and the ant enlarged. It reminded me too much of the hokey fight scenes in Green Lantern.

Despite what I was led to believe by board members, this was not a heist movie. :taptaptap: Not even close. This was a paint by the numbers super-heroes versus super-villain movie. I'm okay with that. But like robot villains, I hope Marvel stops giving up super-heroes and super-villains with power suits. We have Iron Man, War Machine, Falcon, several villains, and now Ant-Man. I am probably the only one who wasn't pleased with the post movie scene where it is shown that Hope will also be getting a power suit of her own. Do we really need yet another power suited hero? Give us some original origins like Thor, Captain America, Hulk, and Ghost Rider please!

Considering the criminal element Scott Lang hung around with, this was a very family friendly movie. Marvel is definitely aiming these movies at a younger crowd than DC. I'm guessing their target audience for this particular movie is pre-teenagers. The ant as a family pet, the hero and his ex-wife and her husband enjoying a meal at the end, etc. was very much a Disney flick happy ending. In fact, if you took off the Marvel brand from this movie, this is a movie that could have been released with just the Disney logo. This was definitely the most juvenile of the Marvel flicks, just not as bad an Amazing Spider-Man 2!

I would give Ant-Man a solid C. I don't think I would go out of my way to see this movie again, but if it was on TV and past all the exposition in the first half, I can see sitting down and enjoying the second half again.

Edited by rjrjr

The challenge when a live movie goes up against an animated film that also has a good story is you are dealing with a much lower budget. Actors are on a different pay scale, no location rentals or setup fees for each area, limited travel costs. So it clears the way for less budget stress, while also freeing up money for more marketing investment.

dgnbfrL.png

EPyihqZ.png

Something like the Despicable Franchise can be a big distractor when a superhero movie is trying to capture those same audience dollars at the same time. And at an average of 9.9X budget on the revenue, count on more Minions and Despicable Me films.

Sorry if this has already been discussed in here, but was that Asian journalist at the end of the movie, Silk? The character narrating referred to her as something like 'the spider lady.'

Am I off my rocker?

Turns out she's a really popular youtube star... anna akana.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnnaAkana

her followers were pretty blown away to see her on ant-man

her character credit is writer... so likely no, not Silk.

Sorry if this has already been discussed in here, but was that Asian journalist at the end of the movie, Silk? The character narrating referred to her as something like 'the spider lady.'

Am I off my rocker?

Turns out she's a really popular youtube star... anna akana.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnnaAkana

her followers were pretty blown away to see her on ant-man

her character credit is writer... so likely no, not Silk.

She is beautiful <3

So Ant-Man took the # 1 spot this weekend anyway, despite hitting its projected 57% drop (same as Thor 2).

Turns out that it people really don't like (& didn't see) Pixels, which is projected to finish about ~$760k behind Ant-Man for the weekend.

Puts Ant-Man at $24.765 million for the weekend to Pixels' $24 million.

Still, an interesting weekend as 3 films each finished between $21-$25 million, but we didn't have a breakout blockbuster, the type that sucks the oxygen out of the room with a $60 million, or $100 million opening leaving just table scraps for the rest of the films out there.

Or Pixels is that bad.

4zpa4zg.png

pixels is that bad. two weeks ago, before the reviews started to hit, Pixels opening weekend was estimated at $50MM+. Ant-Man estimated to be down 55%, that's not Hulk terrible but it's certainly no indication of legs- still looks $160MM US.

Well,

If you compare it against the other 11 Marvel movies from Marvel studios, it's doing far better than average as it pertains to 2nd weekend fall off.

Ant Man's projected 57.6% decline from opening weekend is:

Tied with:

Winder Soldier

Better than:

Captain America 1

Avengers 2

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Hulk

Behind only:

Avengers 1

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Expand that to the greater comic movie universe world and that second weekend relative performance is better than:

Green Lantern

Dark Knight Rises

Man of Steel

X-men

X-men Last Stand

X-men Origins Wolverine

Days of Future Past

Spider-man 3

Amazing Spider-Man 2

All in all, for a character than even the most ardent Marvel fans would call "D-List", Ant Man is performing well, as well or better than characters with a far larger following and who are far more integrated into ongoing story lines and team movies.

Or Pixels is that bad.

4zpa4zg.png

pixels is that bad. two weeks ago, before the reviews started to hit, Pixels opening weekend was estimated at $50MM+. Ant-Man estimated to be down 55%, that's not Hulk terrible but it's certainly no indication of legs- still looks $160MM US.

Well,

If you compare it against the other 11 Marvel movies from Marvel studios, it's doing far better than average as it pertains to 2nd weekend fall off.

Tied with:

Winder Soldier

Better than:

Captain America 1

Avengers 2

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Hulk

Behind only:

Avengers 1

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Expand that to the greater comic movie universe world and that second weekend relative performance is better than:

Green Lantern

Dark Knight Rises

Man of Steel

X-men

X-men Last Stand

X-men Origins Wolverine

Days of Future Past

Spider-man 3

Amazing Spider-Man 2

All in all, for a character than even the most ardent Marvel fans would call "D-List", Ant Man is performing well, as well or better than characters with a far larger following and who are far more integrated into ongoing story lines and team movies.

Love the caveats and the spin! Regardless of how you look at it, Ant-Man is going be one of the MCUs lowest grossing films. I'm sure Marvel and Disney set out to make a lower grossing movie than the others on par with the Incredible Hulk. The unfortunate part is this was a Disney pre-teen super-hero flick, not a Marvel super-hero flick. I hope this doesn't mean future Marvel movies are going to skew toward an even younger audience. I like some meat and suspense in my movies and this movie had neither.

Edited by rjrjr

Or Pixels is that bad.

4zpa4zg.png

Well,

Tied with:

Winder Soldier

Better than:

Captain America 1

Avengers 2

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Hulk

Behind only:

Avengers 1

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Green Lantern

Dark Knight Rises

Man of Steel

X-men

X-men Last Stand

X-men Origins Wolverine

Days of Future Past

Spider-man 3

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Love the caveats and the spin! Regardless of how you look at it, Ant-Man is going be one of the MCUs lowest grossing films. I'm sure Marvel and Disney set out to make a lower grossing movie than the others on par with the Incredible Hulk. The unfortunate part is this was a Disney pre-teen super-hero flick, not a Marvel super-hero flick. I hope this doesn't mean future Marvel movies are going to skew toward an even younger audience. I like some meat and suspense in my movies and this movie had neither.

yeah, this isn't exactly a dud but a sub $25MM second weekend against terrible competition isn't exactly showing legs. it'll be buried by MI next weekend and will barely break $155MM US. the Marvel brand should've enabled this to do better but after the AOU stinker, the halo was off temporarily.

Or Pixels is that bad.

4zpa4zg.png

Well,

Tied with:

Winder Soldier

Better than:

Captain America 1

Avengers 2

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Hulk

Behind only:

Avengers 1

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Green Lantern

Dark Knight Rises

Man of Steel

X-men

X-men Last Stand

X-men Origins Wolverine

Days of Future Past

Spider-man 3

Amazing Spider-Man 2

yeah, this isn't exactly a dud but a sub $25MM second weekend against terrible competition isn't exactly showing legs. it'll be buried by MI next weekend and will barely break $155MM US. the Marvel brand should've enabled this to do better but after the AOU stinker, the halo was off temporarily.

Agreed. AOU definitely took some winds out of Marvel's sails this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if this effects every superhero movie for a while.

Ant-Man was okay. but to say this movie is performing better than the other MCU movies is :screwy:

Is this what we have to look forward to for every Marvel flick. Black Panther does do stellar numbers but that is okay because it is an unknown. Inhumans the same. Etc., etc., etc. Let's face, it, most super-heroes are unknown to most people. The big heroes have already had movies. Every other hero is unknown. But good movies attract large audiences, regardless (just like Guardians of the Galaxy) of how well known the characters are. Ant-Man didn't because it was just a meh movie.

Edited by rjrjr

Or Pixels is that bad.

4zpa4zg.png

Well,

Tied with:

Winder Soldier

Better than:

Captain America 1

Avengers 2

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Hulk

Behind only:

Avengers 1

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Green Lantern

Dark Knight Rises

Man of Steel

X-men

X-men Last Stand

X-men Origins Wolverine

Days of Future Past

Spider-man 3

Amazing Spider-Man 2

No Caveats, it's a straight apples to apples stat analysis.

It's fricken Ant-Man....Marvel and Disney aren't in the business of self-delusion. No one, ever, would have called for $100 million opening weekend. They knew that the box office for this film and other films that introduce peripheral characters would have lesser opening weekends, but would build the overall movie universe and feed into their tent-pole pictures.

You've got to introduce these characters, and most of them don't have the built in name recognition and following of Captain America and Iron Man. Hell, Captain America only managed about $6 million more in his debut opening weekend.

That's also why they budgeted and spent so little on this movie compared to those tent-pole movies.

This movie is a building block to the blockbusters....of course it's a building block that's grossed $227 million in 10 days against a $130 million budget.

Not spin...just facts, figures, numbers and perspective. Viewing this against the long term plan for these characters, these movies and this studio.