• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Foom 2 a Prototype for Wolverine?

Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?

410 posts in this topic

Just looked at the census. 9 total copies slabbed. 2 = 9.8 copies 2 = SS copies. Slab away before the hype dies. :popcorn:

Ok lets agree to disagree on this one. That there are few slabbed copies is not because it is hard to do..just send it to florida. Easy. Anyone with a copy could have. I would never buy a slabbed FOOM 2 because I would want to read it and show evrryone with a hulk 181 where he really came from ;) Of course a slabbed 9.x would still be worth more but I would then unslab it.

USA Agent anyone?

And that Arbolast guy freaks me out. lol

Thanks again for the scans guys, but the names are confusing. It appears some people didn't name their characters like "Phil Humpreys" and "Chuck Slater" - they can't be the character names, can they?

USA Agent anyone?

And that Arbolast guy freaks me out. lol

Thanks again for the scans guys, but the names are confusing. It appears some people didn't name their characters like "Phil Humpreys" and "Chuck Slater" - they can't be the character names, can they?

Those are the submitter names if you look at the list of names in the scan. Their names are there. I'm guessing they may have put the character name on a separate piece of paper or it was just cropped out during setup of the page.

I did notice Tom Lyle's name on the list. I wonder if that is the comic artist Tom Lyle. Someone had already pointed out Steve Rude. His character saw print. I just did a quick review of the names. There may be other notables.

Just looked at the census. 9 total copies slabbed. 2 = 9.8 copies 2 = SS copies. Slab away before the hype dies. :popcorn:

Ok lets agree to disagree on this one. That there are few slabbed copies is not because it is hard to do..just send it to florida. Easy. Anyone with a copy could have. I would never buy a slabbed FOOM 2 because I would want to read it and show evrryone with a hulk 181 where he really came from ;) Of course a slabbed 9.x would still be worth more but I would then unslab it.

Yes, this will be the one book in the history of comics that will be worth more as a raw NM/M than as a slabbed 9.8. You could make the same argument about hundreds of comics, including Hulk 180 ironically enough, where the value comes from the interior. That doesn't stop the 9.8 slab from being worth more every single time.

Yes, this will be the one book in the history of comics that will be worth more as a raw NM/M than as a slabbed 9.8. You could make the same argument about hundreds of comics, including Hulk 180 ironically enough, where the value comes from the interior. That doesn't stop the 9.8 slab from being worth more every single time.

lets be honest. This is not a comic. 180 is a comic. Also getting an under copy of 180 is not hard. Supply is plentyful.

And I didnt say the raw is worth more than the 9.8 slab. I actually said that the slab would still be worth more if you read it again. But I just dont really think people will be very interested in owning a slab of tshis one.I think this is differrnt to a regular comic.

Going back I see Trevor Von Eeden and Fred Hembeck.

Richard John Larson - Rich Larson of Fastner and Larson art team?

Bill Morrison - Simpsons?

lets be honest. This is not a comic. 180 is a comic. Also getting an under copy of 180 is not hard. Supply is plentyful.

And I didnt say the raw is worth more than the 9.8 slab. I actually said that the slab would still be worth more if you read it again. But I just dont really think people will be very interested in owning a slab of tshis one.I think this is differrnt to a regular comic.

What makes this interesting to me is where does this put the Marvel Age title? Seriously, Marvel Age had many first appearances in its pages, but it is not a comic book. If this is worth what people are paying based on some drawings and names and the possibility these drawings and names influenced characters, what about Marvel Age with legitimate, no questions asked drawings from the creators who worked on the characters? Or is this different because it is Wolverine and the magazine is older?

In 20 years, are people going to be rediscovering the first appearance of Deadpool, Venom, etc. in the Marvel Age title?

How about Previews?

What makes this interesting to me is where does this put the Marvel Age title? Seriously, Marvel Age had many first appearances in its pages, but it is not a comic book. If this is worth what people are paying based on some drawings and names and the possibility these drawings and names influenced characters, what about Marvel Age with legitimate, no questions asked drawings from the creators who worked on the characters? Or is this different because it is Wolverine and the magazine is older?

In 20 years, are people going to be rediscovering the first appearance of Deadpool, Venom, etc. in the Marvel Age title?

How about Previews?

:)

Good ones, Paul. It is always cool to see fans that went on to be a creator in the field.

I don't think that's the same Larson...this was 1973 and by 1975 he was a regular artist at Charlton comics. The FOOM stuff is really really rough. I suppose it's possible he got good enough to be published in that time.

The one I think we missed was:

Trevor Von Eeden....he was a teen when this Foom came out and that "Solar Boy" might be him. That seems like a pretty uncommon name.

Checking his bio....Bill Morrison was 13 years old when this contest ran...it's possible.

I don't think that's the same Larson...this was 1973 and by 1975 he was a regular artist at Charlton comics. The FOOM stuff is really really rough. I suppose it's possible he got good enough to be published in that time.

The one I think we missed was:

Trevor Von Eeden....he was a teen when this Foom came out and that "Solar Boy" might be him. That seems like a pretty uncommon name.

Checking his bio....Bill Morrison was 13 years old when this contest ran...it's possible.

I listed Von Eeden but wasn't sure of a character.

How about Previews?

What would you call Deadpool's first appearance then?

This is a different situation, and dealers have tried this before with Marvel Age, and it never works. People like the first comic book appearance, not a blurb in Marvel Age or a pre-release ad in a comic book.

What makes FOOM 2 different is that it's an undiscovered curiosity and has piqued some collector's interest. I find it very interesting, and while it will never be a prototype for Wolverine or Punisher, it is a very interesting piece of Bronze Age history and fandom.

But if Marvel Age catches on, better stock up on the Daredevil issue with this in it!! :takeit:

143980.jpg.028746a1b1f353c4d7f61072943c9bf4.jpg

This is a different situation, and dealers have tried this before with Marvel Age, and it never works. People like the first comic book appearance, not a blurb in Marvel Age or a pre-release ad in a comic book.

What makes FOOM 2 different is that it's an undiscovered curiosity and has piqued some collector's interest. I find it very interesting, and while it will never be a prototype for Wolverine or Punisher, it is a very interesting piece of Bronze Age history and fandom.

But if Marvel Age catches on, better stock up on the Daredevil issue with this in it!! :takeit:

i think with marvel age it depends on what's in it. something like #97 should be considered darkhawks first app, hes on the cover and there is an actual preview of issue 1 inside

i think with marvel age it depends on what's in it. something like #97 should be considered darkhawks first app, hes on the cover and there is an actual preview of issue 1 inside

How many do you have?