• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

You do realize that most of the SA modern drek comics are impossible to read anymore without being bored right?

Fixed it for you. :whee:

Re-reading the old Stan Lee issues besides the origin panels are absolutely painful and boring.

Comic book stories didn't get good till the late 70 80's.

:baiting:

And it would appear from the beginning it was noted to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

I think most everyone is aware of that... maybe not, maybe there are some who aren't.

I always considered the 'Ultimate' titles to be flash in the pan, speculation concepts, put together by Marvel because they were too afraid to do anything to 'risky' with their 'properties'; and only did a short term amount of business because the people they were aimed at were primarily the ones too lazy to read the original material and understand and respect it in the context it was created.

It would comparable to someone, thinking Alfred Hitchcock's version of 'Psycho' was 'outdated' and instead wanted to create a new story for comics based upon the Gus Van Sant version. They'd be laughed at. They'd be laughed at. They wouldn't be taken seriously.

Comics, even ground breaking, industry changing CLASSICS, still don't get the respect they deserve from the rest of the world.

And I don't like it.

I look at what Jack and Stan did with that original run as respect-worthy in a Hitchcock way or a Beatles worthy way, at the very least within the field it was created in, and so, to ME anyway... when I look at how this KID Josh Trank has approached it, by ignoring it for this LAME knock-off version, and the CLEAR DISRESPECT he has for the original material....

I will NEVER

in any WAY, SHAPE, or FORM

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I agree the FF movie will probably bomb which is good for Marvel to get the FF back, but sorry man sometimes you really come off that if the stories are not like your childhood then you completely shut down.

Not sure how much more loudly I can proclaim it, but I've long ago, accepted the idea that any comic being turned into a movie will make some changes. Sometimes A LOT of changes. Not a problem, It's part of the process.

ALL of the superhero movies involve CHANGE. I'm OK with that.

Almost NONE of them RESEMBLE their original stories. I'm still OK with that, as long as they are able to capture the spirit of it.

The majority of Marvel's movies I actually enjoy tremendously. I'd say like, 90% and they ALL involve some kind of CHANGE from the original story.

So, once again... it's NOT about that.

But this one, Josh Trank's Fantastic Four... has been disrespectful of the source material and comics in general. So I won't support it.

Has nothing to do with CHANGE being made.

You do realize that most of the SA comics are impossible to read anymore without being bored right?

I understand that's how you feel, yes.

And it would appear from the beginning it was noted to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

I think most everyone is aware of that... maybe not, maybe there are some who aren't.

I always considered the 'Ultimate' titles to be flash in the pan, speculation concepts, put together by Marvel because they were too afraid to do anything to 'risky' with their 'properties'; and only did a short term amount of business because the people they were aimed at were primarily the ones too lazy to read the original material and understand and respect it in the context it was created.

It would comparable to someone, thinking Alfred Hitchcock's version of 'Psycho' was 'outdated' and instead wanted to create a new story for comics based upon the Gus Van Sant version. They'd be laughed at. They'd be laughed at. They wouldn't be taken seriously.

Comics, even ground breaking, industry changing CLASSICS, still don't get the respect they deserve from the rest of the world.

And I don't like it.

I look at what Jack and Stan did with that original run as respect-worthy in a Hitchcock way or a Beatles worthy way, at the very least within the field it was created in, and so, to ME anyway... when I look at how this KID Josh Trank has approached it, by ignoring it for this LAME knock-off version, and the CLEAR DISRESPECT he has for the original material....

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I agree the FF movie will probably bomb which is good for Marvel to get the FF back, but sorry man sometimes you really come off that if the stories are not like your childhood then you completely shut down.

Not sure how much more loudly I can proclaim it, but I've long ago, accepted the idea that any comic being turned into a movie will make some changes. Sometimes A LOT of changes. Not a problem, It's part of the process.

Almost NONE of them RESEMBLE their original stories. I'm still OK with that, as long as they are able to capture the spirit of it.

The majority of Marvel's movies I actually enjoy tremendously. I'd say like, 90% and they ALL involve some kind of CHANGE from the original story.

But this one, Josh Trank's Fantastic Four... has been disrespectful of the source material and comics in general. So I won't support it.

You do realize that most of the SA comics are impossible to read anymore without being bored right?

Wait. Is this about history changes?

kidn.gif

And I don't like it.

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

Wait. Is this about history changes?

kidn.gif

lol

So then you have read Ultimate Fantastic Four?

The cast didn't have to read it, so neither should I.

And I don't like it.

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

Ultimate FF ran from 2004-2009. Stan and Jack's FF has run from 1961 to 2015. Pick up any FF from the past 5 years and it obviously looks nothing like SA FF - it's been 'modernized' for lack of a better term. But the comic still has the same bedrock that Stan and Jack built (personalities/structure/style). I don't know about anyone else, but that's why I won't see this movie, it's just not the Fantastic Four.

Bryan Singer Confirms X-Men/Fantastic Four Crossover Plans

In a recent interview, Singer—who’s busy filming next year’s X-Men: Apocalypse—revealed that there’s been initial talks of a live-action X-Men and Fantastic Four crossover.

“Those ideas are in play,” he says. “That would be a natural match-up because they’re both ensemble films and there is a natural mechanism by which to do it.”

And what might that “natural mechanism” (using the term “natural liberally, given that it’s a comic boo universe) be? Why, time travel, of course!

“It deals with time,” Singer revealed in an interview with Yahoo Movies. “That’s all I’m going to say.”

I gotta ask, why is Ultimate FF a modern retelling of the story? Because Josh Trank says it is? As far as I can tell that heaping pile of garbage was cancelled in 2009. The main universe FF was still being printed in 2015 - and the recent writing has been excellent (and very modern).

If you read that original announcement article, that was posted as John Trank was being hired. So if anyone was saying it was based on the Ultimate Fantastic Four, it would be Simon Kinberg (original screenplay writer). He has a few credits under his belt now, past and future.

- X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

- Stand-alone Star Wars spin-off (2016)

- Star Wars Rebels (2014-2015)

- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

- Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Is this more about Josh Trank than it is the movie itself? I don't know, and was just wondering.

Don't think he gets to claim this anymore...

"Stand-alone Star Wars spin-off (2016)"

Bryan Singer Confirms X-Men/Fantastic Four Crossover Plans

In a recent interview, Singer—who’s busy filming next year’s X-Men: Apocalypse—revealed that there’s been initial talks of a live-action X-Men and Fantastic Four crossover.

“Those ideas are in play,” he says. “That would be a natural match-up because they’re both ensemble films and there is a natural mechanism by which to do it.”

And what might that “natural mechanism” (using the term “natural liberally, given that it’s a comic boo universe) be? Why, time travel, of course!

“It deals with time,” Singer revealed in an interview with Yahoo Movies. “That’s all I’m going to say.”

Oh good, another X-Men time movie :facepalm:

I've got high hopes, nonetheless. :whee:

It would have to involve time travel since the x-movies are taking place in the 80s (or so), while the FF movies are (probably) present day. (Unless they did another x-movie with the original cast, but I think they have said DOFP was the last time we would see those characters.)

And I don't like it.

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

Ultimate FF ran from 2004-2009. Stan and Jack's FF has run from 1961 to 2015. Pick up any FF from the past 5 years and it obviously looks nothing like SA FF - it's been 'modernized' for lack of a better term. But the comic still has the same bedrock that Stan and Jack built (personalities/structure/style). I don't know about anyone else, but that's why I won't see this movie, it's just not the Fantastic Four.

I disagree. Reed from Civil War didn't have any of the personality of Reed from the 1960s - 1980s. Like Tony Stark, they updated his personality and lost the original character along the way.

About slutty Sue, I'm guessing that has more to do with comics that feature her with Namor, Dr. Doom, and Black Panther. Did she cheat on Reed during Civil War?

About slutty Sue, I'm guessing that has more to do with comics that feature her with Namor, Dr. Doom, and Black Panther. Did she cheat on Reed during Civil War?

He said "slutty secretary" Sue--that's more than simply sleeping around or cheating. It's wearing clothes showing off your form and cleavage and being flirty. I don't recall any flirty, sexualized version of Sue.

He said "slutty secretary" Sue--that's more than simply sleeping around or cheating. It's wearing clothes showing off your form and cleavage and being flirty. I don't recall any flirty, sexualized version of Sue.

Ummm... Remember this phase?

Invis01.jpg

Or

4df14ed0f1e4088b2ca0944a73cc7cbe.jpg

Looks like a sexualized version to me.

This movie is based more on ultimate FF :shrug:

The bottom line is not many people care about Ultimate FF

Actually, I think it is more that not many people care about the FF period. The FF,s popularity peaked in the mid to late 60s when ASM took over as Marvel's flagship franchise and has been in and downward spiral ever since. The fact that the cast and trailers look bad from the get go does not help, but it is a 3rd tier property now that the vast majority of the general public does not care about.

The only argument I could make against this is people cared less about Ant-Man, but Ant-Man should beat this FF movie at the box office.

Other than that your right that FF have sank to a 3rd tier property.

Imagine though if Marvel or Fox followed Stan and Jack`s vision step by step using the comics as the guide?

We would be talking FF as the number one movie franchise now.

We wouldn`t be talking about the FF as C-listers.

Unbelievable how much potential they wasted.