• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Im curious.

Ultimate FF was one of the weakest Ultimate titles out of the gates.

I have no problem with them using a "younger" version of the FF (especially if this is going to be an origin story with college aged Reed).

Tellar had strong reviews from his role in The Spectacular Now, and combined with Mara and Jordan we may see some decent/good acting in the movie IF the -script is decent enough.

ITellar had strong reviews from his role in The Spectacular Now, and combined with Mara and Jordan we may see some decent/good acting in the movie IF the -script is decent enough.

The point is, that by casting these young adults (not Mara) as the FF, it's clear they're going to the Twilight/teen-angst angle, and are not remotely interested in making a quality movie.

There will be a lot of soulful stares, angry love triangles, I'm-in-lust-confrontations, and the obligatory "Why can't I get the girl!!" whining by Ben Grimm.

I kinda get that they are going Ultimate with Spideman, Thor, most of the Marvel universe... Maybe this will work... But the problem is that they screwed up the origonal soooooo badly that people are still complaining. Frankly, Jessica Alba in a blonde wig is enough to make me want to puke despite it being Jessica Alba under the wig and contacts. Maybe they'll give Jonny Storm a sweet blonde wig and some blue eyes this go-round! How much different would it be, really?

I don't care that much that they're younger, or that they're using the ultimate universe... It does bother me that there is such a trend toward elaborate creative freedom... Why not pasify both readers and the general public and stick a little closer to the source material especially since they are starting with ground zero - unlike Avengers Ultron, for example, where they want to fit in a great villain prior to introducing Pym. I ask honestly because to me it doesn't make any sense.

All of the teeth-gnashing in regard to the casting & directing reminds me of Batman back when Michael Keaton and Tim Burton were named to the project. Mr. Mom as Batman? Burton had done Beetlejuice & Pee Wee's Big Adventure!? (Yes, Batman got Nicholson, a huge name for sure)

Lots of folks over-reacting about how the actors don't "fit" & prognositicating how horrible the story will be.

Fact is nobody knows anything about the movie.

Burn it down if you want, but maybe after you've at least seen it.

I'll admit that I'm not sure what to think about the casting at the moment - but that's probably because I'm used to the so-called traditional "family" interaction of the FF that I've seen in the books. But if I've learned anything over the years, it's that 'family' is defined more broadly now than ever (in our society). So I'm curious to see how these four will come together (hopefully as a family) in the movie.

FF movie 2.0... It's not like you haven't seen it before though. It is what it is... And their other movies sucked... So was hoping that this iteration wouldn't... That's all. When you set a standard so low, you hope for something better.

Burn it down if you want, but maybe after you've at least seen it.

But then the studios have your money - and I'll wait for some reviews before even thinking about spending a cent.

A-MEN BROTHER!!!!

And this is absolutely a fair point, Vince.

But there's nothing to review yet.

ehhhh this movie I have a feeling will actually make me want to re-watch the last two, which is very sad.

$ wise I am sure Fox Studio will do fine, but quality wise this is going to be a razzie for sure.

I don't understand why Fox doesn't just copy the Marvel method. It's pretty simple.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

ehhhh this movie I have a feeling will actually make me want to re-watch the last two, which is very sad.

$ wise I am sure Fox Studio will do fine, but quality wise this is going to be a razzie for sure.

I don't understand why Fox doesn't just copy the Marvel method. It's pretty simple.

That's the point right... They keep making money despite reviews, so why change their 'creative' process. It grossed $331 WW in 2005 and only got a 27% approval rating. It made $231M WW!!! Why would they care... It made enough that they created another horrible movie with the same actors in 2007 - only breaking even domestically, but grossed nearly $280M WW, netting what? $158M?

I can only think that Marvel/Disney is laughing that Fox is doing everything it can to kill these movies. At some point, releasing a new pile of turd every few years just to keep the rights will, eventually, not be worth it, and Disney/Marvel can return them to the fold.

That's the point right... They keep making money despite reviews, so why change their 'creative' process. It grossed $331 WW in 2005 and only got a 27% approval rating. It made $231M WW!!! Why would they care... It made enough that they created another horrible movie with the same actors in 2007 - only breaking even domestically, but grossed nearly $280M WW, netting what? $158M?

Come on, the studio didn't make anywhere near those amounts, and when theater take, currency adjustment, film and distribution expenses, promotion, advertising, etc. are taken into account, I seriously doubt they make more than $100 total, on both movies, in net profit.

If you see a WW box office total, take approximately 55% of it as take-home by the studio, then subtract production budget, advertising budget and distro/film copies, etc.

Probably about $70 million on FF1 and maybe $20 million on FF2 in net take-home profit.

And then that $90 million in real money gets put through the HW accounting machine and it comes out as a massive loss. :insane:

Have you guys read Ultimate FF? This sounds more like that...

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Fantastic_Four

Millar completely rewrote the origin for the protagonists because he was not satisfied with the original 1961 story...[cut for length]

In their version, Millar and Bendis wrote a story in which Reed Richards is a child prodigy, protected by his burly friend Ben Grimm from bullies, and a genius who had invented a method of teleportation in his youth. He is discovered by government official Willie Lumpkin, and subsequently recruited into a child prodigy think tank/school located in the upper floors of the Baxter building. There he meets Professor Storm, who leads the project, and his children, bioengineer Susan Storm and her younger brother Johnny. Reed also becomes the rival of Victor Van Damme, a fellow student. When Reed becomes 21, he plans to teleport an apple into a parallel universe (the "N-Zone"), but Van Damme claims Reed's calculations are wrong and changes the setup at the last minute. The five students get teleported through the N-Zone, and when they rematerialize, they return heavily mutated. After the Fantastic Four return to the Baxter building, they must soon face their first opponent, Mole Man.

SPOILER ALERT, JEEZ! I have the first 30 issues sitting in a stack waiting to be read, guess I can skip 1-6 now...

:sumo: :lol: :jokealert:

-slym ( ;) )