• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I guess I was being overly hopeful of the possibility of seeing the Fantastic Four in one of the Infinity war movies. That wouldn't make or break that movie obviously, but they (the Richards) did play a big part in the comic book version of Infinity war.

-T

I guess I was being overly hopeful of the possibility of seeing the Fantastic Four in one of the Infinity war movies. That wouldn't make or break that movie obviously, but they (the Richards) did play a big part in the comic book version of Infinity war.

-T

I think the heat between Fox and Disney/Marvel is still there, and Fox will do all it can to trip up any Marvel rights hand-off.

But I don't think this F4 ( :grin: ) movie will fail. I think even the review embargo is due to the hardcore fans taking such offense to the original story not being followed, there was a larger risk of reviews that would cloud the waters.

This movie has potential to succeed. If only the comic market would give it a chance to demonstrate its content first before jumping to conclusions it is a total mess.

FANTASTIC FOUR Movie Writer Cites Tricky Nature Of Marvels' First Family

Fantastic Four screenwriter Simon Kinberg admits that adapting Marvel's First Family for today's audience is no easy task. However, he insists that he's proud of the finished product and wants to make future films with the cast of Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara, Miles Teller and Jamie Bell.

"I am proud of it. It’s not a disaster. It’s a good movie. I find Fantastic Four a hard book to adapt. I think the tone is very tricky. It’s deceptively simple. Figuring out the comedy and the drama and the powers themselves are hard to fit into a tone that is as grounded as we wanted to make it. But I’m happy with the way that it turned out. I really love this cast, and I want to keep making movies with them."

But what's failure?

This could tank domestically Terminator 5-style at $90 million & still pull a solid $350-$400 million worldwide.

Because it looks like a decent sci-fi flick even without the comic book connection, and should play well as such overseas.

That's my argument about the disconnect in this thread. It looks like a fun summer flick & should play as such to Joe Q. Public.

It's only the hardcore FF nerds who seem pissed that it's based on Ultimate FF rather than the original Kirby run. Oh, and whining that it's not Disney. And that Johnny Storm's not white.

Again -- the first two FF films weren't any good, but they did very well at the box office despite that.

So you are saying if it completely tanks in the U.S., it can still make $400M worldwide. I guess that means whoever has never heard of the FF will go see it. I'll skip why you seem to think that is a good thing, but you mean to tell me that a handful of "FF nerds" can completely take down the domestic box office? There are millions of casual comic/pop culture fans out there that know a little bit about the FF - they go to comic cons, watch the movies/cartoons, talk to hard core collectors, and maybe even read the books. And I would guess that most of them have heard a little something about how this movie is not true to the original. I guess we'll see what they have to say this week.

Again -- it's not like the two most recent films were good, and yet they still made gobs of money.

So why should this be any different? FF 1 did about the same as another Fox production called X-Men 1.

And I'm actually saying the opposite -- that a handful of FF nerds _can't_ take down the domestic box office.

Which is why I think a lot of naysayers here will be genuinely surprised when the film does reasonably well.

While I think domestic numbers are the ones that should matter most, FF is virtually guaranteed to stomp Ant-Man on the worldwide stage.

I'd put ASM 2 up there as one of the 10 worst major release of the last 5 years, and it made $750 million+

But what's failure?

This could tank domestically Terminator 5-style at $90 million & still pull a solid $350-$400 million worldwide.

Because it looks like a decent sci-fi flick even without the comic book connection, and should play well as such overseas.

That's my argument about the disconnect in this thread. It looks like a fun summer flick & should play as such to Joe Q. Public.

It's only the hardcore FF nerds who seem pissed that it's based on Ultimate FF rather than the original Kirby run. Oh, and whining that it's not Disney. And that Johnny Storm's not white.

Again -- the first two FF films weren't any good, but they did very well at the box office despite that.

The 2nd one did $131MIL on a $130MIL budget and $289MIL Worldwide ($332 adjusted) - that's terrible. And it ran in theaters for over 4 months to get that amount! Ant-Man breaks it's budget in 3 weeks without the help of China or Japan grosses and people are trying to declare that movie a disaster....let's see where it's at when it finishes running in November....

For Fantastic Four, as an adult, who it will take to make this movie a success, the average 35-55 year old male is going to see this as a Insurgent/Divergent type of movie (bunch of pretty teens running around doing super stuff in a sci-fi futuristic environment), and it's going to end up doing those type of numbers.....they're NOT going to be interested in this....

Insurgent

Production Budget: $110 million

Domestic: $130,179,072 44.1%

+ Foreign: $165,059,129 55.9%

= Worldwide: $295,238,201

If this movie breaks $350MIL worldwide, it'll be on name alone. Anything less than that and it'll be seen as a failure, especially if the Foreign Gross is more than Domestic.

The last FF couldn't break $350MIL, even with adjustments for inflation, the movie this most resembles couldn't even break $300MIL, and now you've got this new film with an 'estimated' budget of at least $160MIL ($50MIL more than Insurgent)....

You really think Foreign grosses can help it THAT much? FF is no X-Men and Days of Future Past is the ONLY Fox superhero movie to do those type of numbers in Foreign.

Nothing about this looks promising.... it's not the comic nerds who are going to shun this movie that everyone should be worried about... it's people in general....

-T

I think the heat between Fox and Disney/Marvel is still there, and Fox will do all it can to trip up any Marvel rights hand-off.

But I don't think this F4 ( :grin: ) movie will fail. I think even the review embargo is due to the hardcore fans taking such offense to the original story not being followed, there was a larger risk of reviews that would cloud the waters.

This movie has potential to succeed. If only the comic market would give it a chance to demonstrate its content first before jumping to conclusions it is a total mess.

I am happy to give it a chance! (thumbs u

I liked the Ultimate FF title so I could see liking this film.

Hopefully it will be alright - if not, no biggie.

I see that many want the rights to revert to Marvel but since Perlmutter dropped the comic I could care less about them getting the rights back. They obviously don't care about the 17 or so remaining fans of the comic so why should I care about them.

You really think Foreign grosses can help it THAT much? FF is no X-Men and Days of Future Past is the ONLY Fox superhero movie to do those type of numbers in Foreign.

One of the things you need to factor in when considering the foreign market is the massive growth that has taken place in a short period of time. So comparing a 2000-2005 movie to a 2013-2015 movie isn't always a fair comparison.

AUC3OtA.png

Look at the growth difference alone between 2009 to 2013. Look at the same for the domestic market. It's a different world.

7H2DKci.png

R5fqgdN.png

And yet a movie like The Last Stand pulled in $266,333,613 when accounting for 2015 dollar value compared to its 2006 take. That is no lightweight accomplishment when the foreign market was much further behind at the box office.

So yes. The foreign market can contribute a massive difference. Look at what it has done for Marvel Studios.

Je8SSpN.png

The 2nd one did $131MIL on a $130MIL budget and $289MIL Worldwide ($332 adjusted) - that's terrible.

The last FF couldn't break $350MIL, even with adjustments for inflation.

Yeah. I'm predicting this new FF will perform about the same as FF 2 -- the difference being that the foreign box office numbers won't be comparable, because there are _many_ more foreign screens tuned to U.S. movies today than there were in 2007.

i.e., if FF 2 were released today, it easily would have hit $350-$380 million worldwide based on the increased foreign numbers.

So I'm applying that same rubric to this film. Even if it struggles to hit its reported $155 million production budget domestically, it will have to work _exceedingly_ hard not to do at least $250+ million foreign.

Edge of Tomorrow's a perfect example of this. Barely cracked $100 million domestic on a $180 million budget. Did +$269 million foreign for a total of $369 million worldwide.

That's how FF does $350 million+.

But what's failure?

So you are saying if it completely tanks in the U.S., it can still make $400M worldwide. I guess that means whoever has never heard of the FF will go see it. I'll skip why you seem to think that is a good thing, but you mean to tell me that a handful of "FF nerds" can completely take down the domestic box office? There are millions of casual comic/pop culture fans out there that know a little bit about the FF - they go to comic cons, watch the movies/cartoons, talk to hard core collectors, and maybe even read the books. And I would guess that most of them have heard a little something about how this movie is not true to the original. I guess we'll see what they have to say this week.

A well-respected comic dealer at the Tampa Bay Comic Con mentioned that he thought the crowd was, and I'm paraphrasing here, the least comic-savy group he has encountered, possibly at any show, ever. That, folks, is your average comic movie-goer nowadays too....many of the easter eggs have to be explained to them, many of the things that excite us (a Hulk vs Thor fight) because of their long standing inclusion in the stories we grew up with, are largely lost on them. But, that's the cost of the hobby changing from one media format, to another, more readily accessible one. It's the same as when your favorite band's widely regarded "best song" is the one Top-40 single they ever had, yet their real fans know it doesn't even come close to representing their best work.

Video killed the radio star, and all....

I write that to suggest that this movie, with all the seemingly negative inertia behind it in the form of the first franchise, the lack of word-of-mouth, the lack of reviews (which leads to loads of rampant speculation), might actually hold it's own if it takes off with the target audience, who, by my guess, are actually the 15-34 demographic, and not middle-age comic nerds.

That said, if it breaks $50 million on opening weekend, I'd be shocked. The new trailer, with the opening sequence of Reed and Ben as kids, seems to be the best one yet, but it may be too late to change the minds of those who had written the movie off already.

But what's failure?

Where would a non-comic person hear about this movie not being true to the comic and why would they care? They flock to movies based on books that are "not true to the original" all the time. Jurassic Park. Jaws. The only people who care are FF fans. The majority of movie goers just want an entertaining flick.

Also, I agree that the negative posts online will not impact this movie. It will sink or swim based on how good it is, not what a few FF fanatics have to say.

The big question is did they differentiate it enough from other superhero flicks to entice people to go see the movie?

The 2nd one did $131MIL on a $130MIL budget and $289MIL Worldwide ($332 adjusted) - that's terrible.

The last FF couldn't break $350MIL, even with adjustments for inflation.

Yeah. I'm predicting this new FF will perform about the same as FF 2 -- the difference being that the foreign box office numbers won't be comparable, because there are _many_ more foreign screens tuned to U.S. movies today than there were in 2007.

i.e., if FF 2 were released today, it easily would have hit $350-$380 million worldwide based on the increased foreign numbers.

So I'm applying that same rubric to this film. Even if it struggles to hit its reported $155 million production budget domestically, it will have to work _exceedingly_ hard not to do at least $250+ million foreign.

Edge of Tomorrow's a perfect example of this. Barely cracked $100 million domestic on a $180 million budget. Did +$269 million foreign for a total of $369 million worldwide.

That's how FF does $350 million+.

That's a Warner Brothers film.... that's not Fox....

The ONLY non-animated Fox movies to break the $300MIL gross barrier overseas were movies that broke the $200MIL plus gross domestically.

Even The Wolverine (2013 - $282,271,394) couldn't do it. Or Kingsman (2015 - $278,475,404). Or Prometheus (2012 - + Foreign: $276,877,385) Or Gone Girl or Night at the Museum.... if this movie does under $200MIL domestically, and it WILL do under that, it's chances of breaking $300MIL foreign are almost nill.

For a non-animated Fox movie, as far as I can tell, it hasn't happened....

Fantastic Four Screens Openly Tomorrow, How People Are Reviewing It So Far

Shows pics of people attending the screening.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/03/fantastic-four-screens-openly-tomorrow-how-people-are-reviewing-it-so-far-review/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Thanks for posting. The linked Twitter posts with audience reactions are positive. But taken with many grains of salt because it appears to be a Fox event. ?

The ONLY non-animated Fox movies to break the $300MIL gross barrier overseas were movies that broke the $200MIL plus gross domestically.

Even The Wolverine (2013 - $282,271,394) couldn't do it. Or Kingsman (2015 - $278,475,404). Or Prometheus (2012 - + Foreign: $276,877,385) Or Gone Girl or Night at the Museum.... if this movie does under $200MIL domestically, and it WILL do under that, it's chances of breaking $300MIL foreign are almost nill.

I don't know. When I adjust the Fox movies to 2015 dollar since they go much further back than Marvel's 2008 movies, the numbers in the foreign market don't look horrible (other than Daredevil and Elektra - UGH).

8wQtRxP.png

And when you look at two movies last year that were total Domestic dogs, yet were much more successful across the Foreign box office, you get a feel for how much impact that latter can have on the final worldwide box office.

Hercules (2014)

Domestic: $72,688,614 (29.9%)

+ Foreign: $170,700,000 (70.1%)

Worldwide: $243,388,614

Dracula Untold

Domestic: $56,280,355 (26.1%)

+ Foreign: $159,248,846 (73.9%)

Worldwide: $215,529,201

Not huge hits in the least, and low-budget as well. But saved by the much larger foreign box office response. And with Dracula Untold, it ended up a slight win for the studio.

I don't know. When I adjust the Fox movies to 2015 dollar since they go much further back than Marvel's 2008 movies, the numbers in the foreign market don't look horrible (other than Daredevil and Elektra - UGH).

8wQtRxP.png

And when you look at two movies last year that were total Domestic dogs, yet were much more successful across the Foreign box office, you get a feel for how much impact that latter can have on the final worldwide box office.

Hercules (2014)

Domestic: $72,688,614 (29.9%)

+ Foreign: $170,700,000 (70.1%)

Worldwide: $243,388,614

Dracula Untold

Domestic: $56,280,355 (26.1%)

+ Foreign: $159,248,846 (73.9%)

Worldwide: $215,529,201

Not huge hits in the least, and low-budget as well. But saved by the much larger foreign box office response. And with Dracula Untold, it ended up a slight win for the studio.

But that shows exactly what I'm saying... even adjusted, a Fox movie needs to break $200MIL domestically to break $300MIL foreign. It's not likely this movie will do that.

Best case scenario: $400MIL worldwide.

And with a $160MIL 'reported' budget, it may look like 2.5, but they won't do a sequel for it.

FANTASTIC FOUR Cast Handles 'Awkward' Interview Like Superheroes

Bailey later discussed the conversation in greater detail with BuzzFeed, saying he was "curious about the whole brother and sister thing" and simply wanted to know if "this hipster version" of the series would have an explanation.

As for Rickman's line of questioning, Bailey said he had "no idea" and offered a suggestion.

"Steve likes girls' toes," Bailey told the outlet. "People should be appreciative when they get complimented."

So the creepy interview was really Kate Mara's fault. She should have been much more appreciative of the toes focus from the interviewer.

:insane:

Sounds like something a 21st century Richard Speck would say. :eek:

We're arguing two separate things, it seems.

I (and Bosco) are pointing to $350+ million worldwide (which is domestic + foreign), whereas you're saying $350+ million in foreign alone. Which would equate to at least $450 worldwide (a huge stretch).

My contention is there's no way FF doesn't do at least $110 million domestic + $250 million foreign = $360 million worldwide.

That wouldn't be a great performance, let alone summer tentpole worthy, but neither would it be a) a disaster or b) bad enough for Fox to let the rights reverts back to Disney.

Put another way, Ant-Man will cross $300 million worldwide within one week.

There's _zero_ chance FF doesn't do significantly better than that (ie. $350+ million worldwide) given the far greater popularity (and name recognition) of the brand, as well as the fairly popular talent involved.