• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,196 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2021 at 10:33 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I'm still in awe of your copy of "Werewolf" I  haven't found the one for me yet, they just don't show up lately. 

That one is Bill Randall and your other artists are Bergey, Belarski, Johnson and Heade so i'd say you have fine taste in GGA 🙂 (don't know who it is on Danger Trail, should be inside the book, most Bantams from this period have art credits inside)

Funny thing about my copy of "Werewolf". I located the book via the Abe Book site, and found that the best looking copy was right here in Minneapolis at Dreamhaven books. Rather than order it on-line I drove down there to take a look. I was stunned by the book and bought it even though the price had gone up slightly in the hour since I found it on-line. 

I will track down my copy of Danger Trail tomorrow to see who the cover artist was.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:25 PM, Surfing Alien said:

This cover always makes me think of "The Fly"

It was pretty bizarre and incredible for its time.

Definitely. That scene from the original with the little guy in the web yelling "Help me!" while the spider came after him really gave me the creeps as a kid.

On 12/18/2021 at 6:40 PM, Book Guy said:

This is the one with the inserted comic with the CONAN pastiche. I have it, but not the other which I've never seen before. How many have inserted comics?

I think there is a romance pulp with a similar insert, and some pulps have comic stories but aren’t full- blown inserts like these.

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=887

On 12/18/2021 at 6:40 PM, Book Guy said:

This is the one with the inserted comic with the CONAN pastiche. I have it, but not the other which I've never seen before. How many have inserted comics?

Avon only made those first two issues then stopped.

You can read them here.

https://www.pulpmags.org/content/view/issues/out-of-this-world-adventures.html

Edited by The Black Hand ®