• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,929 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Looks like this little red-headed step-child of a thread has been moved...

So i'll kick off its life over here with some of those Glorious Good Girls by artists we've come to know and love, George Gross and Fred Claude Rodewald:

204800705_LureForLove.thumb.jpg.46fdb4f466faa922cfbc3486d629b7b3.jpg

Very nice!  I've been looking for a pretty copy of Lure for Love to go with my "Leg-Art" Virgin.  

On 1/12/2022 at 7:39 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Got 'em both now :cheers:

Alas, the fate of all of these incredible Vintage Paperback/Digest artists was to produce masterpieces of pin-up art for a couple of hundred bucks and have the publisher re-use them multiple times with no royalties 

I'm pretty sure most or all pulp/paperback/comic book art was done on a work-for-hire basis, i.e., the artist was hired for a job, then sold the art outright to the publisher. Royalties for reprints were typically not part of the deal. 

Without such an arrangement, there probably would have been far fewer pulps/paperbacks/comics published. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:23 PM, Sarg said:

I'm pretty sure most or all pulp/paperback/comic book art was done on a work-for-hire basis, i.e., the artist was hired for a job, then sold the art outright to the publisher. Royalties for reprints were typically not part of the deal. 

Without such an arrangement, there probably would have been far fewer pulps/paperbacks/comics published. 

True as far as work for hire in the 40's and 50's, but their couple more hundred bucks they would have gotten on reprints paled to the profits of the publishers on a 2nd or 3rd printing of 50-100k copies of a book so I don't actually think it affected pulp/paperback/comic production.

Then in the mid 1950's the artists  (usually through their agents, who recognized the value for themselves % wise) began to fight and/or band together for ownership of their work (in books and comics and mags). It wasn't until the early 60's that ownership was achieved for most artists.

Publishers just took the dough because they owned it. I'm not blaming publishers, that was the system there was, but i'm glad artists did what they had to to re-gain ownership over time 👍

On 1/13/2022 at 7:09 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I've been searching for a perfect copy of Rudy Belarski's best cover for 40 years and finally found it in this collection 😍 

20220113_151826.thumb.jpg.782c3ee58d14aeabaf4cd42275a046ef.jpg

If this was a comic book cover it would be worth 5 figures in todays insane cover driven market...

If anyone has the pulp cover I'd love to see it, but the paperbacks gloss and square-ness make its image superior to the pulp imho.

That's a real standout cover and a beautiful copy. Looks like a great bunch of books you picked up.

Here's a pic (not my book) of the earlier pulp version (December, 1943) that I got off the internet. It surprises me that the later paperback is the 'sexed up" version. I like them both but definitely prefer the Doll's Trunk cover better.

1396807077_DetectiveNovelsMagazineDecember-1943.jpg.5417f7b86d68bbb8e2059175a17c12f9.jpg

On 1/11/2022 at 6:29 PM, CGC Mike said:

It has been brought to my attention that there has been talk about whether or not this thread should get moved to the pulp section.  What do you guys think?

has it already been moved?

What about digests, there are a lot of digests posted.

they are neither Pulps nor Paperbacks?

Edited by TerrysComics

On 1/15/2022 at 8:38 PM, TerrysComics said:

has it already been moved?

What about digests, there are a lot of digests posted.

they are neither Pulps nor Paperbacks?

Digests are kind of a weird chimera that don't fit well into any category except for themselves.  I'd be glad to see their own thread...

after I'm through collecting the ones I need.  :insane:

On 1/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, TerrysComics said:

ok, I'll just put a few here for fun

digests2.thumb.jpg.a31462f2c85ad05b271532b6b870936c.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 10:12 PM, TerrysComics said:

also, some odds and ends, all digests. some are pulp digests.

digests8.thumb.jpg.d3c25a00eea57492fc9186557a3eee1d.jpg

Well, sonofagun!  That's an impressive spread, Terry!!  (worship)

by the way any collectors that know where the town of Centralia, off the I-5 in Washington state is?

I just traded about 5000 collectable paperbacks, digests and hard cover books to a guy for an Antique bookshelf.

I suppose there would be a lot of bargains there as most were priced more than 15 years ago and he said he would keep my prices on them.

Store is Tilikum Books, 115 N. Tower St., Centralia, WA.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:20 PM, TerrysComics said:

by the way any collectors that know where the town of Centralia, off the I-5 in Washington state is?

I just traded about 5000 collectable paperbacks, digests and hard cover books to a guy for an Antique bookshelf.

I suppose there would be a lot of bargains there as most were priced more than 15 years ago and he said he would keep my prices on them.

Store is Tilikum Books, 115 N. Tower St., Centralia, WA.

It’s about half-way between Seattle and Portland.