• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,993 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 8:20 PM, TerrysComics said:

by the way any collectors that know where the town of Centralia, off the I-5 in Washington state is?

I just traded about 5000 collectable paperbacks, digests and hard cover books to a guy for an Antique bookshelf.

I suppose there would be a lot of bargains there as most were priced more than 15 years ago and he said he would keep my prices on them.

Store is Tilikum Books, 115 N. Tower St., Centralia, WA.

Yet another reason for a road trip.  So many great shops over the mountains 😀

On 1/16/2022 at 7:07 AM, rjpb said:

What I was thinking, even if the books were only worth 50¢ each. 

I moved my business to Washington and stopped doing paperback and pulp shows so they were just sitting in boxes. 

just no time to sell them individually, and yes it was a nice early 1800's bookshelf. 

actually, more of a secretary with a bookshelf.

Edited by TerrysComics
add

On 1/16/2022 at 8:37 AM, TerrysComics said:

I moved my business to Washington and stopped doing paperback and pulp shows so they were just sitting in boxes. 

just no time to sell them individually, and yes it was a nice early 1800's bookshelf. 

actually, more of a secretary with a bookshelf.

Congrats on the move!

On 1/15/2022 at 9:38 PM, TerrysComics said:

has it already been moved?

What about digests, there are a lot of digests posted.

they are neither Pulps nor Paperbacks?

Actually, early collectors split them up.  Your first pictured group, digest novels, are generally collected with the paperback category.  The second group, anthology series that are issued month to month with volume numbers are usually lumped in with pulps and magazines (Analog, Asimov's, Ellery Queen, Manhunt, etc.).

On 1/16/2022 at 5:06 PM, Bookery said:

Actually, early collectors split them up.  Your first pictured group, digest novels, are generally collected with the paperback category.  The second group, anthology series that are issued month to month with volume numbers are usually lumped in with pulps and magazines (Analog, Asimov's, Ellery Queen, Manhunt, etc.).

Thanks for the info, Tim.

On 1/17/2022 at 3:04 AM, waaaghboss said:

My mom loves Erle Stanley Gardner so I pick her up a book sometimes while out traveling for work.  She's read most of his stories, but I was sure such a goofy fun title would be new to her, but she'd already read it and was surprised at how expensive it was.  I'd hate for her to see what I spend on comics 🥺

20220117_000038.thumb.jpg.ad35107a02127e9c0b2f1d7450b98c72.jpg

Seems almost half all pulps are bondage cover😷👍‼️

On 1/17/2022 at 12:19 PM, Joshua33 said:

At least!!! You have to go for some seriously disturbing covers to attain any shock value in pulps. 

That only became the case in recent years, it was not that long ago that you could not talk a comic collector into a classic cover pulp, there are so many too.

only after the rumor came out that CGC would start grading Pulps did these collectors invade the Pulp market.

Watch out if they ever start grading Paperbacks!

On 1/17/2022 at 12:29 PM, TerrysComics said:

That only became the case in recent years, it was not that long ago that you could not talk a comic collector into a classic cover pulp, there are so many too.

only after the rumor came out that CGC would start grading Pulps did these collectors invade the Pulp market.

Watch out if they ever start grading Paperbacks!

Yep. The more I collect pulps, the more I realize, a majority of PCH comics I love came almost directly from, or were heavily influenced by pulp covers. 

On 1/17/2022 at 8:43 PM, Surfing Alien said:

There simply are no comic book covers like these... 

20220117_233212.jpg.404b7a3c1ad819677685ca71c811f720.jpg

90% of comic book artists didn't have the technical skills to execute them. Pulps and PB's were painted, which took more skill than the pen and ink the comics called for. There were painted cover comics but few, and many by the same artists who did the pulps/pbs.

Even pre-code, comic books were the last refuge for broke artists. The famous mag/pb illustrator Fred Rodewald wrote a funny piece about how desperate an artist had to be to take a job in comic books in his guide to selling commercial illustration in the 1950's . Maybe i'll post it for giggles...

Stan Lee…

"In the beginning, comics were the lowest rung on the cultural totem pole. I'd go to a party and people would say 'What do you do?' 'Um, uh, I'm a writer' and I'd try to walk away. And the guy would follow. 'What do you write?' 'Oh, er, stories for kids'. Well finally he'd pin me down and I'd say, 'Okay, I write comic books' - and boy, he couldn't get away fast enough," he said.