• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,997 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2022 at 3:19 PM, damonwad said:

Very cool SA. Do you know when they stopped putting the eyeball/keyhole on the spines? My #42 has it but #115 doesn't and I have nothing in between.

Thanks. If your 115 doesn't have an eyeball keyhole on the spine, it is either an error or maybe Canadian or something. They moved the eyeball to the top of the spine around this time - erratically as you can see (that's 115 at the far left - glare obscures the top a little). But they kept it on the spine until somewhere in the upper 400's or early 500's. I don't have enough in that range to pinpoint it better.

959243039_DellStack.thumb.jpg.3ae9cd123f16146f23755f559652fd6b.jpg

On 2/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

Bought this at the local store this weekend...culminates with Maupassant's marvelous 'Ball of Fat'...
Stories:
Prosper Mérimée – Mateo Falcone
James Baldwin – Previous Condition
Ernest Hemingway – Soldier’s Home
James Joyce – A Painful Case
Maxim Gorky – Chums
Walter Van Tilburg Clark – Why Don’t You Look Where You’re Going
Jim Thompson – Time Without End
Roald Dahl – The Wish
Stefan Zweig – The Runaway
Judith Merril – That Only a Mother
Alex Austin – Where the Kings Die in Madrid
Christopher Lazare – Last Visit
Sherwood Anderson – Hands
Guy de Maupassant – Ball of Fat

0thedam.jpg

Great cover art - The Lions are some of the least documented of the early pb artists but most of them are the same as the artists who did Goodman's Mens Adventure Mags so some good eyes could probably figure out most of them. The woman's face looks like a Nappi girl to me and I've seen that dude on the floor somewhere before, if I could remember where it might be another clue lol

On 2/22/2022 at 5:31 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Thanks. If your 115 doesn't have an eyeball keyhole on the spine, it is either an error or maybe Canadian or something. They moved the eyeball to the top of the spine around this time - erratically as you can see (that's 115 at the far left - glare obscures the top a little). But they kept it on the spine until somewhere in the upper 400's or early 500's. I don't have enough in that range to pinpoint it better.

959243039_DellStack.thumb.jpg.3ae9cd123f16146f23755f559652fd6b.jpg

Thanks.

After 2 1/2 years of collecting pb's, not only am I still a newb, but also apparently too stupid to look up.  :facepalm:

On 2/23/2022 at 11:11 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Just got a copy of the G-Men Detective pulp to compare to it's re-use of Belarski's art on the cover of the Popular Library classic, "Overboard" and have to say, although the pulp was first, the color strike and paper quality of the paperback cover bring out "certain" details on the paperback that render it the superior version imho (thumbsu

1138290470_OverboardTwins.thumb.jpg.bc13247e51f47ab0f0db71bd6a479fb7.jpg

Napples aren't everything. 

On 3/2/2022 at 2:28 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Ace wasn't the only one doing doubles - these Universal Giant Doubles are pretty cool and have some great covers. Much of the cover art was re-used later on Beacons, just like they did with the Uni-Book artwork.

20220302_144811.thumb.jpg.60ad5f6e85ad7542cf1b98e3db043166.jpg

Apparently, Nick Fury had a dark period.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:16 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Lastly I obtained a copy of "Perelandra" by C. S. Lewis (1950), which is second in his Space Trilogy series. I also have "Out of the Silent Planet" which is first in the series. A nickels worth of research pointed me to "That Hideous Strength" which is the 3rd and final novel in the series.

image.jpeg.f573098f13e09dac011d958712dc5008.jpeg

I'm currently reading Out of the Silent Planet; a good read so far. I look forward to completing the trilogy this year. That's quite a cover for a CS Lewis book!

On 3/3/2022 at 9:09 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yeah I had just picked up the Tortured Planet about a month ago at a Flea Market with some other books. Certainly not that great a cover! That's what inspired me to read the series.

Paperbacks.thumb.jpg.be9ff2466c8230923249cc00e00199b8.jpg

I just put in an order for "That Hideous Strength", in what I think is the best available cover. In reviewing the choices I found none of the books covers seemed to be as iconic as the first two books in the series.