• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,992 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 6:32 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Lots of great books being posted!  :headbang:

I haven't posted for awhile because I've been on a buying hold.  But I picked up this book (cheaply) because it reminded me of my relationship with @Surfing Alien- me, the infant being bottle fed, and SA... well, I don't need to explain it all for you guys.  You get the idea.

IMG_6709.thumb.JPG.04af820632fb27e55828653d31ab3c70.JPG

and so Pat begat Surf... and Surf begat RD... and RD begat...lol

Thanks Pal. I share stuff in other places but youse guys are da best!

There are two books on EMSH. EMSHWILLER INFINITY x TWO which covers both him and Carol and DREAM DANCE. Both are on Amazon. I have both, but don't remember which one I like better. INFINITY I think, but I can't put my hands on either book. DREAM DANCE is on Amazon for cheap! INFINITY will cost you. Whichever one I liked better, it certainly made me appreciate him more. Before I knew who he was, but after seeing so many examples of his work one-after- the-other, I began to really LIKE his work. I'll post the books if I can find them, but I don't think that's possible right now!

Anybody else with an opinion on the books feel free to chime in.

On 2/16/2022 at 3:43 PM, frozentundraguy said:

A nod to Emsh, whose birthday is today. Thanks to Pat for the heads up on his birthday. I checked and found I have 16 PB's with cover art by Emsh. My top favorites among those are;

The Black Galaxy

image.jpeg.25019e8353902c29347bd7809428eb4e.jpeg

And the cover of "The Time Traders"

image.jpeg.79c8cbc822f5a145f1e0436c7c7bc27d.jpeg

His work on the Galaxy Novels was exceptional. I really love City at World's End 

20220216_230903.thumb.jpg.4b69a311f174c0057a7907d35fc71eaa.jpg

Not Pulps or Paperbacks, per say - but does anyone have any familiarity with this? It is a c. 1945 treasury sized WWII internal publication from AFPAC (US Army Forces Pacific): MAPTALK Supplement - Japanese Information Training Subject Number Three". Approx. 20 pages with illustrations - none of the artwork is signed. Really neat and hoping someone might have some knowledge on these or may have seen these before. Thanks.

IMG_4422.jpg

On 2/19/2022 at 1:17 PM, Bandelier said:

Not Pulps or Paperbacks, per say - but does anyone have any familiarity with this? It is a c. 1945 treasury sized WWII internal publication from AFPAC (US Army Forces Pacific): MAPTALK Supplement - Japanese Information Training Subject Number Three". Approx. 20 pages with illustrations - none of the artwork is signed. Really neat and hoping someone might have some knowledge on these or may have seen these before. Thanks.

IMG_4422.jpg

No clue.  You might have better luck asking in the Pulp forum.

On 2/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, Bandelier said:

IMG_4422.jpg

Nice artwork on the cover👍😷

On 2/14/2022 at 3:03 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I'm not a completist but I really love the early Dells with the giant eyeball/keyhole. I recently acquired no.7 which gives me the first 8 in a row. I'd like to get all of the giant eyeball Dell's, which lasted until #24, The Phantom of the Opera, IIRC. I'm still missing 8 or 9 of them. #5 was the first map back.

1428951289_Dell1-8.thumb.jpg.60bc4547ebe3279c57bbc177675ca36f.jpg

Very cool SA. Do you know when they stopped putting the eyeball/keyhole on the spines? My #42 has it but #115 doesn't and I have nothing in between.