• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,103 posts in this topic

Hi folks - Just posting this as a reminder since it's show day.

My pal, veteran Original Art Dealer Rubén DaCollector and I are doing a Livestream video show on Youtube this evening (8pm Eastern Time, 5PM Pacific Time) as a companion piece to my just-published article on artist Raymond Johnson. I estimate his covers were on over 25 million sold paperbacks at a time when the population was about 150 million!

Our talk will be wide ranging. Rubén is a warehouse of knowledge on original paperback and comic book art. I'm a bit jealous that he owns the Barye Phillips original art to "Satan is a Woman" by Gil Brewer, one of the coolest paperback covers ever IMHO. I always tease him about it.

Here's the link, if you have a minute to stop by we'd love to hear from you. All you have to do is click the link any time during the show and you'll be brought to the show. The show has a chat feature so you can type a "Hello" or other comments on what we're chatting about. If you visit, please mash the "like" button so Rubén's channel gets a lift! He'd like to do more of these, maybe it'll be with one of you, if there's interest! Thanks!

If you can't tune in live, you can always watch the show on rewind afterwards just by clicking on the link.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, Surfing Alien said:

@Randall Dowlingmight come along and punish you for publicizing these :)

Hide contents

No one is supposed to know about these until we have more of them - they're too cool and rare :baiting::takeit:

I could not agree more.  I have noticed that eBay is no longer a rich source for these detective/crime mags.  I likely bought several hundred from 2002 - 2008.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, BakerFanOne said:

I could not agree more.  I have noticed that eBay is no longer a rich source for these detective/crime mags.  I likely bought several hundred from 2002 - 2008.

You're ahead of the curve my friend. I'm afraid the ship has sailed as far as bargains on these on ebay unless they're mis-listed or found in random lots.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:51 AM, Surfing Alien said:

@Randall Dowlingmight come along and punish you for publicizing these :)

Hide contents

No one is supposed to know about these until we have more of them - they're too cool and rare :baiting::takeit:

They are very awesome.  Nobody else should start collecting them, though.  xD

They're incredibly tough in even FN or better condition but the cover art on many is just amazing.  Thankfully, it's only a select few of us that read this thread so I say, post away to @BakerFanOne!  FWIW, In my experience, Best True Fact Detective and All True Fact Crime are the best of the best of that Crime/Detective genre.  True Crime is pretty awesome also.  (thumbsu

On 8/6/2022 at 11:37 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I Love Rainbow Digests, they are some of the best Good Girl Art Digests but also have some unknown great story-telling...

Famous True Crime Editor Lionel White's first book was a Rainbow Digest with a "Killer" George Gross Cover. It's pretty hard to find copies of this one,

984407198_SevenHungryMen.jpg.f20d3e975bfcc7213b8dd30f95578691.jpg

I've never seen a skirt like that -- open on the sides to the waist -- in real life, much less in the 1950s. Only on PBs. Did they only exist in PB artists' imaginations?