• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,091 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2022 at 2:49 PM, GACollectibles said:

The filter settings have been changed.

MR. Grayson, MR. Powell, MR. York, MR. Sargent, MR. Van Dyke, MR. Sprang, MR. Miller, MR. Clark, MR. Friend, MR. Bookery Sr

Someone dicked that up, it got added to the spoon filter again.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:31 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Haha - you're original post still said the D word when I just looked but my comment just got filtered so I guess the water cooler boys found out and ran wild, prompting the censorship again

This is why we can’t have nice things…

On 8/25/2022 at 2:31 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Haha - you're original post still said the D word when I just looked but my comment just got filtered so I guess the water cooler boys found out and ran wild, prompting the censorship again

Same thing happened to me, it showed fine then when I posted it changed every tomdickharry to MR.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:41 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

here's one by Philip K MR.

That's MR. Philip K MR. to you :tonofbricks:

On 8/25/2022 at 2:41 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

here's one by Philip K Dicked

D249.jpg

These covers are so cool! I am a huge PKD fan but I have never seen these vintage paperback books! My PKD library consists of modern collected short stories, modern reprints of his novels and one very special Hard Cover 1st edition of The Man in The High Castle. I had no idea so many of his stories were mass published like this! And these painted covers are just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them!

On 8/27/2022 at 10:16 AM, flashlites said:

These covers are so cool! I am a huge PKD fan but I have never seen these vintage paperback books! My PKD library consists of modern collected short stories, modern reprints of his novels and one very special Hard Cover 1st edition of The Man in The High Castle. I had no idea so many of his stories were mass published like this! And these painted covers are just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them!

I highly recommend seeking out PKD first editions if you like his stuff; they're generally still very affordable.  Expensive compared to lots of vintage SF paperbacks, but vintage SF paperbacks are CHEAP compared to just about any other vintage paper of that era.  I think the most I ever paid for one of my PKD paperback firsts is $25 or so, even adjusted for inflation.  Although my 1st paperback edition of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was a gift, that one would have been pricier.

Would love to see the 1st edition Man in the High Castle, I've got the 80's Book Club hardcover.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:23 PM, OtherEric said:

I highly recommend seeking out PKD first editions if you like his stuff; they're generally still very affordable.  Expensive compared to lots of vintage SF paperbacks, but vintage SF paperbacks are CHEAP compared to just about any other vintage paper of that era.  I think the most I ever paid for one of my PKD paperback firsts is $25 or so, even adjusted for inflation.  Although my 1st paperback edition of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was a gift, that one would have been pricier.

Would love to see the 1st edition Man in the High Castle, I've got the 80's Book Club hardcover.

image.png.fbe7e4b36b1a2ab5a3bff2e2f4c8cf21.png

Here is the crown jewel of my PKD library. From what I understand their were 2 different covers for this book,  published the first year (1962). This one being the second of the 2 so it is not as valuable. But I still consider it a first edition. Maybe you all have more details about this edition?

1970's (I think) Book Club reprint. I'll look at my bibliographies and get back.

The original book club edition has the same cover art as the first edition.

PKD was my personal # 1 collecting goal so I got a lot of great things. I'll take some pictures and post them later.

On a totally different note, this is neither vintage, nor a comic or pulp.  In fact, it's a comic that came out this week.

With that said, getting Robert McGinnis to do a comic book cover seems like they're trying to market directly to the regulars in this thread.  I gather there's a couple other covers he's done for Hard Case that I need to track down as well now.

Gun Honey BfB_1_McGinnis.jpg

On 8/27/2022 at 3:17 PM, Book Guy said:

1970's (I think) Book Club reprint. I'll look at my bibliographies and get back.

The original book club edition has the same cover art as the first edition.

PKD was my personal # 1 collecting goal so I got a lot of great things. I'll take some pictures and post them later.

Thanks for checking for me! Here are some inside photos of my copy. It will be interesting to learn that this copy, that I always assumed was from 1962 was printed later? Either way I still love it and cherish it!

image.thumb.png.2e72b38771066b117c53bdbd8bd7f401.pngimage.thumb.png.6a263ee9b8b6aa404e5a07caced28e41.png

On 8/27/2022 at 1:59 PM, flashlites said:

Thanks for checking for me! Here are some inside photos of my copy. It will be interesting to learn that this copy, that I always assumed was from 1962 was printed later? Either way I still love it and cherish it!

image.thumb.png.2e72b38771066b117c53bdbd8bd7f401.pngimage.thumb.png.6a263ee9b8b6aa404e5a07caced28e41.png

Book club editions are notorious for not printing an accurate date, unfortunately.