• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,103 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2022 at 7:54 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Treated myself to a nice little Original Pulp art B/W interior by Blue Book veteran Leland Gustavson for a mystery story by Stuart Palmer. About 1960, not sure which mag it was published in.

His style was very spare but he achieved a lot with simple black crayon strokes. I like the atmosphere.

20220708_220759.thumb.jpg.7b365ae269e5a06cd3e0055d4d566bf8.jpg

I've always liked his work for the economy you described.  And that's a very nice piece!  Nice pickup, SA!  :applause:

On 7/12/2022 at 5:20 PM, Sarg said:

A stark example of how book design went swiftly downhill in the 1970s. The cover on the right is brilliant.

The attack of the GIANT FONTS in lieu of cover painting space was going on since the 1960's but I agree with you the '70's was worse lol:golfclap:

In defense of the '70's, the Ballantine covers on the right, from the Adult Fantasy series are, indeed, brilliant, so it wasn't all bad at all (thumbsu

On 7/19/2022 at 10:27 AM, TerrysComics said:

Nice, I have not seen those before, I thought I had them all.

They came out about a year after the original runs.  Wollheim isn't the editor on these and they're all new- one of the only cases where books being new rather than reprint make them less interesting to me.

There were also two paperback Avon Fantasy Readers in the 60's, but they only reprint material that was in the earlier run.  I may still track them down on general principles, they have some nice Gray Morrow covers.

On 7/17/2022 at 3:58 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Girls, Girls, Girls :luhv:  Been a bit busy lately but was cleaning up a little and managed to get a few of the girls together for group shots. I have lots more "Girl" books but they get around so it's tough to round them up sometimes 9_9

Girls.thumb.jpg.49c495c2e365e4fb8e2da04234173a6a.jpg

What's not to like?