• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,945 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2022 at 10:40 PM, Surfing Alien said:

A friend in another on-line forum just pointed out the obvious... the model here is obviously Ann Margaret... likely modeled from a magazine photo... no wonder she looks so sexy!!! 

There is a resemblance... but Ann-Margret was only 16 when this book came out, and wouldn't have her first film role for another 4 years!

On 7/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, Bookery said:

There is a resemblance... but Ann-Margret was only 16 when this book came out, and wouldn't have her first film role for another 4 years!

Thanks - In that same other post this theory was shot down for the same reason! It's a pretty amazing likeness though - but should never jump to conclusions without checking dates first!

On 7/1/2022 at 5:31 PM, OtherEric said:

Two very different books from my local store today.  I've been looking for the Hyperborea collection for a while now, it's easier to find than  Zothique (which I'm still looking for) but it's still pretty scarce:

Hyperborea.jpg

Hippocampus Press has come out with a title Zothique:  The Final Cycle softcover edition of 340 pages of the stories by Clark Ashton Smith.  I just ordered it.

https://www.hippocampuspress.com/clark-ashton-smith/fiction/zothique-the-final-cycle-by-clark-ashton-smith?zenid=fmq2m1tuclubc09rfscrq9mj57

On 7/9/2022 at 6:17 AM, frozentundraguy said:

Just one pulp this week. I recall reading Blish's novel "Cities In Flight" in the 70's, so I thought it might be neat to go back and obtain the story in it's first published form.

scan0906.jpg

I do need to sit down and read those one of these days sooner rather than later.  I have most of the original pulps & digests, but the stories were originally released all out of order and then edited for the books.

Growing up, my family used... and still uses... the term "Spindizzy", although our use refers to making sure there's not a car in the blind spot when we change lanes.  I need to read the books to figure out exactly how my dad got from the description of a spindizzy on Wikipedia to us using the word that way.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:54 AM, OtherEric said:

I do need to sit down and read those one of these days sooner rather than later.  I have most of the original pulps & digests, but the stories were originally released all out of order and then edited for the books.

Growing up, my family used... and still uses... the term "Spindizzy", although our use refers to making sure there's not a car in the blind spot when we change lanes.  I need to read the books to figure out exactly how my dad got from the description of a spindizzy on Wikipedia to us using the word that way.

I had to check on the term spindizzy myself. I have heard it before, but not for a long time.

From the wiki article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindizzy

The Dillon-Wagoner Graviton Polarity Generator, known colloquially as the spindizzy, is a fictitious anti-gravity device imagined by James Blish for his series Cities in Flight. This device grows more efficient with the amount of mass being lifted, which was used as the hook for the stories—it was more effective to lift an entire city than it was to lift something smaller, such as a classic spaceship. This is taken to extremes in the final stories, where an entire planet is used to cross the galaxy in a matter of hours using the spindizzy drive.

According to the stories, the spindizzy is based on principles contained in an equation coined by P.M.S. Blackett, a British physicist of the mid-20th century. Several other Blish stories involving novel space drives contain the same assertion. Blackett's original formula was an attempt to correlate the known magnetic fields of large rotating bodies, such as the Sun, Earth, and a star in Cygnus whose field had been measured indirectly.[1] It was unusual in that it brought Isaac Newton's gravitational constant and Coulomb's constant together, the one governing forces between masses, the other governing forces between electric charges. However, it was later disproved by more accurate measurements, and by new discoveries such as magnetic field reversals on Earth and the Sun, and the lack of a magnetic field on bodies such as Mars, despite its rotation being similar to Earth's.

Blish's extrapolation was that if rotation combined with mass produces magnetism via gravity, then rotation and magnetism could produce anti-gravity. The field created by a spindizzy is described as altering the magnetic moment of any atom within its influence.