• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,087 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2022 at 3:26 PM, flashlites said:

Indecently if you are a PKD fan did you ever notice here on the boards it wont let you type out his last name? They censor it for some reason.:roflmao:

You also can't type out the first names of Grayson, Powell, York, Sargent, Van Dyke, Sprang, Miller, Clark, one of my best friends, or even my own father.  It's not only unbelievably childish they would put this into the profanity filter, it's personally rather insulting.

On 8/21/2022 at 2:43 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

I pick up nice UK editions... partly because I have so many of my USA wants/needs and the beast needs to be fed :)

tanar.jpg

"the beast needs to be fed :)"

This will be the new secret saying of the boards :devil:

Killer copy of that Pinnacle ERB Pat! When you've been collecting American editions for 40+ years there's still some sense of discovery in these UK editions and that's a sweet one (thumbsu

On 8/22/2022 at 8:58 AM, Blorgon scum said:

I'll have to admit I haven't gotten very far in this 944 page novel.  Maybe someday I'll finish it. First Plume printing 1975

This little hardbound booklet came out in 1942.  Not only is the novel 944 pages... apparently it takes an extra volume to explain it!

Untitled-1555.jpg

On 8/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Thanks to my erudite and scholarly forum members, I discovered there were variant Jimmy Steranko Shadow covers. I bought the Shadow paperbacks from local book stores, but never realized there were variant covers until I joined the boards.:applause:1EABEEAB-778B-438B-AD5F-FECAD20C01DE.thumb.jpeg.d3a6a63da74e4a940c012ebf472ccaaf.jpeg

Very nice additions!  I found those hard to get just because so many dealers didn't bother specifying which of the two covers were used, just that they were by Steranko.

On 8/6/2022 at 6:43 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Just throwing it out there that Illustration #77 with the Raymond Johnson article is finally back from the printer and Dan has it posted for purchase on the website now 

http://www.theillustratedpress.com

I hope dropping a link doesn't get me in jail. This message board is mentioned in the article :)

I'd like to post a reminder tomorrow about the Livestream I'm doing with Ruben DaCollector tomorrow evening. I'd love to see any boardies drop by. Ruben is quite entertaining and there will be TONS of paperback art shown!

Congratulations on the article SA. I just finished reading it yesterday and really enjoyed it. With so many great covers, his work really deserves that spotlight.

Looking forward to seeing the replay of the livestream on Youtube.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:37 PM, damonwad said:

Congratulations on the article SA. I just finished reading it yesterday and really enjoyed it. With so many great covers, his work really deserves that spotlight.

Looks like something I need to check out.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:37 PM, damonwad said:

Thanks! Seeing it all in one place is eye opening. It was a lot of work but well worth it. The livestream was fun, Ruben is great to banter with about this stuff. He knows so much about art technique.