• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,996 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2022 at 4:46 PM, OtherEric said:

On a totally different note, this is neither vintage, nor a comic or pulp.  In fact, it's a comic that came out this week.

With that said, getting Robert McGinnis to do a comic book cover seems like they're trying to market directly to the regulars in this thread.  I gather there's a couple other covers he's done for Hard Case that I need to track down as well now.

Gun Honey BfB_1_McGinnis.jpg

Sweet, I didn't know Hard Case was doing comics... With McGinnis supported to boot 👍

On 8/27/2022 at 7:33 PM, Book Guy said:

Lastly, here are my unsigned really NICE copies of the paperback Firsts and most of his Magazine appearances. I don't have them all and need to finish off that part of the collection. They cost a lot more now than they did then...

I have all the hardcover Firsts, once again mostly signed, but I'm too lazy to drag them all out.

The 'hardest' of the American hcs for me to get back in the early '80's was STIGMATA. I think that was just random though. The hardest American trade hardcover to get now is a non-Library First of MAZE OF DEATH. That was the Book Doubleday pulped almost as soon as it was released. Also a large portion of the print run was sold to a Rental Library Company and those copies are what you usually see offered. "Evidence of Bookplate removal', 'Seems to be a Library Copy but with few markings', 'end papers restored (or 'refreshed'). If the description says something like that it's probably a Rental Library Copy. Luckily most of those didn't get a lot of reading wear and they are often nice copies. ANDROIDS in pre BLADE RUNNER days commanded no price premium over the other harder to get Doubleday hardcovers. Now...that's a different story!

The hardest items to acquire are the oddball ones, not the Books. PKD contributed to some fanzines, though he was not really an active Fan. Those can be tough as the print runs are always small sometimes as low as 25-50 copies. I've turned up several examples that weren't in the PKD bibliographies. The Small Press Poetry Magazine  A CHILD'S HAT has some PKD poems. Very tough to find. I bought mine years ago from Bill Blackbeard!

You see a lot of 'Signed' copies on eBay. Many of them are in fact signed by PKD, but I've seen a number of dubious examples. If there isn't a good provenance attached to the Book, be careful!

Hope you enjoyed these!

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

Thanks so much for sharing! It looks like I have more to collect than I thought. Those signed editions must be amazing to have!

On 8/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, OtherEric said:

On a totally different note, this is neither vintage, nor a comic or pulp.  In fact, it's a comic that came out this week.

With that said, getting Robert McGinnis to do a comic book cover seems like they're trying to market directly to the regulars in this thread.  I gather there's a couple other covers he's done for Hard Case that I need to track down as well now.

Gun Honey BfB_1_McGinnis.jpg

This Hard Case Line always seems to be good - I picked up the Minky Woodcock series and loved it. Well written and fairly well illustrated. I would recommend them. I saw they had a new title out last week, I did not see this cover though.

On 8/27/2022 at 6:59 PM, Book Guy said:

As I mentioned earlier PKD was my number 1 Collecting Target way back when (Probably tied with another writer, but what the heck!).

I was most active in the 1970's and 8's. Things were a LOT cheaper then, so bear that it mind. Of course I had almost no money then either!

First here's bunch of my paperbacks. Common enough you say! The kicker-they are all Signed and/or Inscribed by Phil! I had friends that knew him and they got Books signed for me. As well, after he died they sold their collections and I bought a bunch. Just luck to be at the right place and time with the appropriate interest. In the 1980's in my career as a Book Seller, I did 3 PKD lists selling Firsts, unusual items, Signed dupes etc. I still see some of 'my' Books show up on eBay.

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

Who was the other  author that was tied with PKD, if you don't mind my asking?