• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2022 at 3:03 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Some friday fun. Picked up a bunch of nice Berkleys recently. They must've had much smaller print runs than the big publishers because I have alerts on and look for them all the time but only a trickle show up. Some great art by Johnson, Nappi and Copeland here as well as some cool photo covers.

20221104_175547.thumb.jpg.9ef2a2be0ac7077a53f1d7549286ca4b.jpg

I find it hilarious that they had to rename Wicked Woman as A Woman Called Desire because 51 books earlier they had renamed End of the Road as Wicked Woman.

A quick glance at bookscans doesn't show an earlier End of the Road, but G-114 was "The End of the Track", so maybe they were trying to avoid confusion with that one.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:13 PM, OtherEric said:

I find it hilarious that they had to rename Wicked Woman as A Woman Called Desire because 51 books earlier they had renamed End of the Road as Wicked Woman.

A quick glance at bookscans doesn't show an earlier End of the Road, but G-114 was "The End of the Track", so maybe they were trying to avoid confusion with that one.

Good eye! I didn't even notice that. It's highly likely that they were on the stands at the same time so they probably did change it to avoid confusion.

On 11/4/2022 at 3:22 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Good eye! I didn't even notice that. It's highly likely that they were on the stands at the same time so they probably did change it to avoid confusion.

I would be tempted to give you grief for not noticing that about two books side by side, but two pages ago I didn't notice I had posted two gorilla covers back to back until somebody pointed it out to me, so I've got exactly zero room to talk. :nyah:

On 11/6/2022 at 6:40 PM, frozentundraguy said:

It's been a while since I added any PB's to my collection. Found two pretty nice copies of Bantam books. I noticed the Argosy book of Adventure Stories due to Heinlein being one of the authors.

Scan0997.JPG

Scan0996.JPG

Nice!  I think I was aware Heinlein had a couple stories in Argosy, but I didn't know they were reprinted in that collection.

On 11/5/2022 at 2:57 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Some nice Ace mystery doubles in the mail today.

I noticed they have a "light side"...

20221105_142657.thumb.jpg.e195eaca39052da11c4ff7d8881cacc7.jpg

Odds Against Linda is one of my favorite later doubles.  It's just really grim with that cover artwork.  I feel like the alternative title could have been "I Don't Like Her Chances".

Great looking copies, SA!

On 11/4/2022 at 7:35 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

bright spines are divine. I've just picked up a couple of Dells and Pop Libs that testify to the worthiness of their publications...

deathwish.jpg

The way her hand was painted bothers me. The rest of it is fine, however. Women in the '50s, of course, often wore blouses unbuttoned at the top and no bra. Belarski?

Edited by Sarg
artist

On 11/7/2022 at 6:03 PM, Sarg said:

The way her hand was painted bothers me. The rest of it is fine, however. Women in the '50s, of course, often wore blouses unbuttoned at the top and no bra. Belarski?

One of the things we notice/remember when looking at zillions of vintage pbs is that these artists were working under deadline for low pay. That is not the best hand position lol! But the Art Director likely got him paid because the other "elements" were superb 😁